The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Noodler's Blue/black Most Similar In Performance To Black Swan In Australian Roses?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 loganrah

loganrah

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 03:18

I have a love-hate relationship with Noodler's inks. I love their general waterproofness and other archival properties as well as the range of colours. I don't like how overly wet a lot of them can be. I have had some success watering down some inks --- Kiowa Pecan in particular takes well to being cut 1/3 with distilled water to reduce the wetness and increase shading. 

I recently received a bottle of Black Swan in Australian Roses which, along with the awesome colour, has performance much more along the lines I would like of all inks. 

I also received a bottle of 54th Massachusetts in the same package. While I like the teal colour, the performance is far too wet for my taste. 

So I'm wondering: which of Noodler's many blue/blue-blacks/teals comes closest to Black Swan in Australian Roses in performance? 

And/or: can you recommend other Noodler's inks that take well to being diluted?

Sponsored Content

#2 jean

jean

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 05:29

Hello, I have these two inks, and indeed they have basically the same flow properties and dilution behaviour, with possible variations in flow from one inkwell to the other. But that I have not seen with the inks I use. The other inks that have these properties are Air-Corp Blue-Back, Navy and Zhivago. All of them have a controlled flow, withstand dilution well and leave a grey to black line once they have been washed off with water or bleach.

#3 Eclipse157

Eclipse157

Hoarder of ink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:00

Noodler's Blue-Black. Excellent behaviour (no feathering, spread or bleedthrough) and it takes VERY well to being diluted. In fact it's so saturated that,undiluted, the blue bit is hardly noticeable, once diluted it strongly leans teal, greenish.

Another point in common with BSiAR is that (I think) it's made by mixing Noodler's Black with another non-bulletproof dye.

#4 tleek

tleek

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:54

I have Noodlers blue, Bernanke Blue, and Aircorp blue-black. They do not shade and are all very saturated. Standard blue and aircorp both perform well though. I wouldn’t say they are overly wet, unless by wet you mean saturated. Black swan in Australian roses is probably my favorite ink. Isn’t blue nose bear in the same line of shading inks?

Sponsored Content

|