How Do You Put Your Pen Down?

sirgilbert357

'Normally, I hold my pen with the right hand, hold my cap in my left. When finished writing, pen gets capped.'

That's an interesting comment which leads me to wonder whether most people post or do not post the cap when they write. After all, I can understand the logic behind it. It would reduce damage to the barrel or cap in the long term. I however, always post the cap because I like the length and the balance it offers.

Edited by ParramattaPaul

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• ParramattaPaul

• bemon

• carola

I suppose it's how much you value the finish of your pen. I like to take care of things I enjoy using, even if they are not that expensive.

All my Sailors are mid priced, 14c nib, medium/small sized pens (1911S & Pro-Gear Slim). They are only writing tools.

Sailor uses a good quality PMMA resin for these pens (& for all their resin pens) & they have precise moulding process. There are only a few very,very faint mould marks on the sections & on the male threads.

By not posting, I try to preserve the surface of the barrel & not crack the cap. In addition, I have not posted since I was a small lad in shorts in Central Europe. We were using fountain pens by the third grade. If I remember correctly, my teachers frowned on the practice of posting the caps. So, with me, it has become a habit I don't even notice that I don't post.

That said, it is a personal choice to post or not. Many here on FPN do. Some collectors of exquisite high priced instruments want to protect their pens by keeping the cap off the barrel. Other folks, like ParamattaPaul, find pens better balanced with caps posted. There is no right answer.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

I put them down on the notebook I'm writing in, or on the desk, or in one of the pen cups on the desk, or in the bakelite pen tray on the desk. No real system, and I have no particular concerns about damaging the pens. Uninked pens are stored away in inexpensive book-style cases.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

Oh! by the way, I just realized I have an IKEA Knös desk pad that is wonderful, and being padded is softer to write on and lay a pen down (though I realized I leave my pens usually on the wooden desktop most of the time).

That desk pad is a real wonder. I got a couple. One of them got so stained I took it for a table outside. It's been two or three years in the outside, exposed to all kinds of weather, sun, snow, rain, sometimes on the side stone arm of the barbecue, we've used it turned over for DIY cutting... and it still looks OK (yet stained) and is comfy for writing outside. I can't but heartily recommend it. And no, I have no relationship with IKEA.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Pics of the pen rest progress...Still need to figure out the "feet" for it. But I'm happy with how it looks so far.

The raised area is created by two bamboo skewers.

Pen Rest 2.jpg

Pen Rest 3.jpg

Pen Rest 4.jpg

Pen Rest 5.jpg

Edited by sirgilbert357

Looks pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Tried to just edit the above post with the other pics, but it's been too long.

Finally got the feet added and the pen rest is serving in my office at work. Just closing the loop with a couple final pics...itching to make something else now...

IMG_20200818_093959121.jpg

IMG_20200818_094024197.jpg

Finally got the feet added and the pen rest is serving in my office at work. Just closing the loop with a couple final pics...itching to make something else now...

attachicon.gif IMG_20200818_093959121.jpg

attachicon.gif IMG_20200818_094024197.jpg

Interesting colors. What kind of wood did you use?

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

Interesting colors. What kind of wood did you use?

I honestly don't know what it is. Some leftover scrap plywood I had from a shelving job. I had no idea the wood stain would make it look so beautiful. I have a ton of it left too. I'm trying to figure out what else I can make just so I can stain it and see how it turns out...

The lighting in my office is harsh. In real life, it looks much more like the outdoor pics I took of it when it was in the earlier stages. The Pelikan Renaissance Brown is darker in real life too...I think my phone automatically applies light filters or something. I didn't edit or touch up any of the pics in this thread -- I don't have software or know how to do so...

Edited by sirgilbert357

The pen rest looks like it has been made for the Renaissance Brown.

It really does!

The amber Pilot 823 looks pretty good sitting on it too. And I have a Conklin All American in Brownstone that also goes really well with it. I love browns and blues...my two favorite base pen colors.