How Do You Put Your Pen Down?

sirgilbert357

I've decided to make a pen rest for my desk at work. I have some scrap wood and leather laying around, so I'm going to use that. Looked online and couldn't find anything like what I had in mind, so I'll just have to make it. It's looking pretty nice so far. Waiting for stain and polyurethane to dry sucks...I'm not a patient person. I hope to have it finished sometime this weekend.

I´m curious to see what it´s like. Post pictures, please, when it´s finished.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sirgilbert357

• ParramattaPaul

• bemon

• carola

Will do! I'll try to snap a few "in progress" pics when I get home tonight.

Do you wait 24 hours for the polyurethane and the stain to dry?

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

I don’t think I typically worry too much about how I set my pens down. I usually set them on a notebook or something soft, but have several just sitting on a shelf right now. Usually, when I’m done writing, they go in my pocket or back in the pouch.

I have giant gaming mouse pads that I tend to also put my keyboard on. It provides a massively sized soft surface.

I have a landing pad of microfiber cloth that I put my pens on. I have some bandanas and microfiber cloths in my bag that I use as ad hoc landing pads at the office or meetings.

I use a dice tray for multiple pens and am in the proces of making my own pen tray. Already got the felt.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.de/W%C3%BCrfelschale-PU-Aufbewahrungsschalen-Doppelseitiger-Faltschachtelhalter-Tischspiele/dp/B07SNQ3KZ8/ref=sr_1_30?dchild=1&keywords=w%C3%BCrfelschale&qid=1597333843&sr=8-30 I bought mine at a boardgame store

They can be stored flat, which is cool.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[

I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

The discussion about categorizing pens in one's collection has gotten interesting. Me? I have basically two categories -- pens that I need to get repaired, and pens that don't and are ready to use. The former category includes really fragile pens like the 1926 Lucky Curve ringtop and a bunch of pens that need to be resacced (most of the Esties, the Morrison sterling filigree overlay ringtop, and some of the Vacs. Also the grey Parker 61, because it's developed a bunch of fine cracks in the hood. :-( And a couple of Noodler's FPCs that need to have the o-rings replaced (and I just haven't gotten around to it, and the Waterman lever filler someone gave me (it needs a new lever as well (probably) as a new sac -- but hey, it was FREE).

The other category includes everything else that can be used. I baby the Parker 41 a bit, but I do pull it out every now and again, because it's a nice writer.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I very often lay my pen (the one I am currently using) in the angle formed by my laptop keyboard and screen, certainly at work, but very often at home too.

It's a relatively safe place to avoid knocking the pen around as I use the PC, it's not in the way of either my keyboard or my screen, and it's handy enough when I need to pick it up and take notes on my paper notepad, which is usually on my right just beyond the mouse...

My laptop is plastic, rather smooth, and there is no risk to scratch the pen.

Microscratches? perhaps, but I'm not that paranoic, pens need to be used...

Do you wait 24 hours for the polyurethane and the stain to dry?

Not exactly. I applied the stain last night and it needs less than 2 hours, but I let it sit overnight because I was going to bed. I had already cut the piece out, shaped it, sanded it, done mock ups, etc, so I was tired.

The polyurethane needs longer to fully cure. Instructions on the can say 4 hours I think, but I usually give it longer. I did a coat of poly this morning and I'll do another tonight when I get home. While that cures, I'll probably double check my mock ups and decide if I want to put it on "feet" or just rubber non-slip stick on pads.

I'm hoping I can get the look I want with just two or three coats of polyurethane, but we'll see. Either way, it should be done this weekend. I'm pretty excited. Haven't made something in a while and it's really fun to do a little project that is fountain pen related!!

Sometimes this way, on a Nakaya pillow. I'm more concerned about potential damage happening to the nib while the pen is resting.

1911Scb-1.jpg

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Sometimes this way, on a Nakaya pillow. I'm more concerned about potential damage happening to the nib while the pen is resting.

attachicon.gif 1911Scb-1.jpg

I could easily make something like this out of wood too, with a leather cushion for where the pen rests...

I typically hold my pen if it is uncapped, so I've never had one of these, though.

It they are not left clipped to my notebook,

I prefer to set them down horizontally on a surface they won't fall off of,

But I do like to rest them on a towel I fold up for them, or on some type of material that has some give or cushion, or just cloth or leather or something like that.

Pan Pens of Norway know exactly what you're talking about.

https://www.nb.no/nbsok/nb/51482b3d57aaacb23c99f9bfe5640b24.nbdigital?lang=no

That is HILARIOUS! Was that really part of their marketing?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Here is the current state of the pen rest, along with a Pilot 823 for size.

This is with the stain and one coat of polyurethane so far. I just finished sanding it down and putting a second coat of poly on it. If it dries sufficiently before I go to bed tonight, I will repeat that step. The color should stay as is, but the poly will add depth to the gloss. I'll add more pics as progress is made...

Pen Rest 1.jpg

Casually

Capped

I do not pay much attention, for me they are utilitarian items. Even the MBs. That's why I favored the Slimline for so long. And I do not seem to be able to detect much wear that can be attributed to laying pens down, as opposed to say, plain rugged use, rattling in a briefcase or wearing them in a jeans pocket.

I do cap them, though. For the nib not to dry and for the pen not to roll.

I do have a pen rest at my desktop at home, actually a wooden one with two china inkwells and an area for the pen (I suppose intended for a dip-pen), which I have had with a Franken-Zebra-Jinhao 450 I left there over a year ago and that has remained untouched since, which shows just how much do I care (neither for where do I put pens, which, or how).

I do have a wooden scriptorium at work... which has also been relegated to an unreachable corner beyond a screen and that I hardly ever use now due to the work overload of the last nine months. I usually just leave them on the table beside the laptop and among a cornucopia of small items (USB devices, cables, notes, a wiping cloth, etc...).

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

attachicon.gif 1911Scb-1.jpg

Heh -- and I'd worry about just that with that style of rest... If the pen slips back the nib tip will be bounced against the rest.

I'd probably prefer the style where the entire pen is supported in a groove.

Heh -- and I'd worry about just that with that style of rest... If the pen slips back the nib tip will be bounced against the rest.

Point taken, though this "slipping back" has not happened,...not yet anyways. The urushi finish of the Nakaya pillow is indeed slippery.

Normally, I hold my pen with the right hand, hold my cap in my left. When finished writing, pen gets capped. The clip prevents the pens from rolling. Usually the pen is then returned into its individual Pelikan leather case, with the flap open.

As far as damage to Sailor's resin is concerned, in more than twelve years, nothing significant has been noticed. Having my pens in individual cases may have helped to reduce possible scratches. I'm sure that there may be micro scratches observed under magnification, but nothing seen with my naked eye.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

Which reminds me: while I'm not carving a groove into the wood on what I am making, it will have raised sides on the leather cushion. So, the pen will not be able to roll off, even if it is a clipless pen without a roll stop.