The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

It's Working Again!

estie cartridge clog

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 22:14

So this lovely Estie that I was given has been clogged and I have not been able to get it to write for a number of months.  It had been leaking a little bit (which I ascribed to my inexperience with eyedropper-filling a used cartouche), and I had put a bit of silicone grease around the places where the body connects to the nib unit.  Then I couldn't get it to write at all.

Usually, when I am doing my pen maintenance, I will fiddle with it a bit.  Yesterday, on a lark, I placed its nib on a paper towel that I had just used to blot up a bit of ginger tea.  Although I had previously tried capillary action, for some reason this time the ink began to flow again.

I don't know if it was the ginger, time or something else, but I am quite grateful to have this pen working again as it is a pleasure to use and had been very reliable.  :D

Attached Images

• IMG_0039.jpg

Festina lente

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 22:57

It's always nice to bring an old friend back into active use! Congrats!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 August 2020 - 23:35

It's always nice to bring an old friend back into active use! Congrats!

Thank you!  It's actually a new old friend, as I've had it less than a year even though it isn't a new pen.

Festina lente

#4 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2020 - 00:20

You mentioned the use of silicone. It brings both blessings and curses. A loose smear where it shouldn't be can prevent a pen from working just as a careful application helps a pen write (e.g. a light application to a snorkel shaft).

A pen that works is always a delight. Sometimes figuring out how to make a pen write can be a delight too.

#5 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,462 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2020 - 22:21

Very cool!  Is that an Esterbrook A-101?  I like those.

#6 essayfaire

essayfaire

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 21:29

Very cool!  Is that an Esterbrook A-101?  I like those.

I got it from you! I like it very much, which is why I was sad when I suddenly started having problems with it.  It seems to be behaving again now. :D

Festina lente

#7 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 21:40

I got it from you! I like it very much, which is why I was sad when I suddenly started having problems with it.  It seems to be behaving again now. :D

:lticaptd:

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: estie, cartridge, clog

Sponsored Content

|