Current Repair Address/information

bunnspecial

I'm very, very overdue on sending my 2000 in for(another) replacement of the cracked section.

The last time I did it, I remember sending a check for $7.50 for return shipping, but was advised that I'd sent it to the wrong address and there was some hold-up while it was routed to a new address(I think in Texas). IIRC, the return shipping cost had also gone up to $15.

Does anyone have the current address information, who the check needs to be made out to, and the amount? I can't find it poking around Lamy's website.

I'm in the US also, I should mention.

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bunnspecial

• dennis_f

• stylophilly

• Estycollector

Hi, Lamy US repair info is on the website https://www.lamy.com/en/lamy-inc/

The pertinent info is down the page.

I just had some work done by Lamy US repair a few weeks ago. It is headed by Bob Nurin out of Tucson, AZ. It was an awesome experience all around. He very capably and quickly helped me out with my Dialog 3. Hes very friendly and wonderful to talk to as well.

Edited by stylophilly

Thanks-just sent an email to ask for that information.

And yes, Lamy service, in the past when I've used it, has been wonderful. I just wish that ~10 years ago when I bought my 2000, I'd made sure to get a recent one and not old stock at a local store(that I think they'd had for a few years), since it's my understanding the section was redesigned around then.

Okay, what's changed-the paperwork that came with the pen stated "Lifetime Warranty." I just received an email back stating only a 2 year warranty, receipt required.

Okay, what's changed-the paperwork that came with the pen stated "Lifetime Warranty." I just received an email back stating only a 2 year warranty, receipt required.

I bought my last 2000 in the fall of 2018. I didn't check the paperwork at the time, but after reading your post I did.

Current terms are: "Lamy guarantees that your writing instrument will be repaired at no charge in case of possible flaws in material or workmanship during a period of 2 years from the date of purchase -- except for damage from improper use or normal wear."

That's the sum total of the guarantee write-up. The terms must have changed at some point.

I bought my last 2000 in the fall of 2018. I didn't check the paperwork at the time, but after reading your post I did.

Current terms are: "Lamy guarantees that your writing instrument will be repaired at no charge in case of possible flaws in material or workmanship during a period of 2 years from the date of purchase -- except for damage from improper use or normal wear."

That's the sum total of the guarantee write-up. The terms must have changed at some point.

Thanks.

Mine says

"Lamy pen warranties its writing instruments for the life of the product**. If repair is required other than from abuse or misuse, then for a small handling and return postage charge of $9.50 per pen, Lamy products will repair, refurbish, and return any Lamy instrument. If other parts have been abused, there will be a special charge. Otherwise, there are no labor or parts charges.

**The Lamy warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized service and the use of other manufacturers refills or inks."

I'm struggling to understand how they can change the terms of the warranty under which I bought the pen.

Thanks.

Mine says

"Lamy pen warranties its writing instruments for the life of the product**. If repair is required other than from abuse or misuse, then for a small handling and return postage charge of $9.50 per pen, Lamy products will repair, refurbish, and return any Lamy instrument. If other parts have been abused, there will be a special charge. Otherwise, there are no labor or parts charges.

**The Lamy warranty does not cover damage caused by misuse, abuse, unauthorized service and the use of other manufacturers refills or inks."

I'm struggling to understand how they can change the terms of the warranty under which I bought the pen.

I don't understand that either. I've never dealt with warranty changes during the life of a product, but I would have thought that a supplier would have to honour the wording of the warranty under which someone bought their product, regardless of later changes (but I'm not a lawyer).

I've also never heard of Lamy repair giving anyone a hard time with their damaged pens. There are all sorts of threads on FPN about people returning a pen because of some minor damage/wear, and Lamy replacing the pen in its entirety. There were changes to the Executive over the past couple of years, so maybe that has something to do with it. Or perhaps you'll have better luck emailing Lamy in Germany and asking about this. My understanding is they are quite helpful at head office.

Edited by dennis_f

I had a cracked section on this same pen several years ago, and that was handled quickly and efficiently.

When I further inquired with Bob Nurin, he was emphatic that the 2 year terms would apply regardless of when I bought the pen or what my paperwork stated. This is especially frustrating since it was my understanding that there was a period of manufacture where section cracks were quite common.

Perhaps I will try Germany. Otherwise, I am done with Lamy. Between Safaris, Studios(my Palladium Studio has one of the smoothest nibs I've ever used), and this 2000, I know I'm a small customer compared to many here but I still have bought my fair share of their products. I've also "sold" a bunch of other fountain pen beginners on Safaris and given a handful of them as gifts to folks who were on the fence. For that matter, too, Lamy is the only brand where every one I have, I bought new(my Pelikans are a mix of new and used, several other brands are mixed, and all my Mont Blancs were used).

If you contact Germany, let us know how it goes.

Perhaps you should mention that the section is prone to cracking (or has cracked more than once) on your pen; maybe they'll swap your section for a newer all-metal version (i'm assuming your version is the older model that has a makrolon insert below the nib).

I had a cracked section on this same pen several years ago, and that was handled quickly and efficiently.

When I further inquired with Bob Nurin, he was emphatic that the 2 year terms would apply regardless of when I bought the pen or what my paperwork stated. This is especially frustrating since it was my understanding that there was a period of manufacture where section cracks were quite common.

Perhaps I will try Germany. Otherwise, I am done with Lamy. Between Safaris, Studios(my Palladium Studio has one of the smoothest nibs I've ever used), and this 2000, I know I'm a small customer compared to many here but I still have bought my fair share of their products. I've also "sold" a bunch of other fountain pen beginners on Safaris and given a handful of them as gifts to folks who were on the fence. For that matter, too, Lamy is the only brand where every one I have, I bought new(my Pelikans are a mix of new and used, several other brands are mixed, and all my Mont Blancs were used).

I agree with your frustration, but warrentees would naturally have an expiration date over time. Lets say you had a Sheaffer lifetime pen or early Parker 51 with a warrentee. These companies mentioned are no longer the same and exist mostly in brand only. That said, Mr. Nurin may have no choice not to try to help in some way even if he wanted to personally.

I have actually considered a 2000, but the mulitiple problems have turned me off. I do consider the Lamy Al-Star one of the best FP's of all time based on design, utility, and wide availability to anyone. So, I would not turn away from Lamy all together. As you admitted, you did wait a long time for deciding to act on the problem pen.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I agree with your frustration, but warrentees would naturally have an expiration date over time. Lets say you had a Sheaffer lifetime pen or early Parker 51 with a warrentee. These companies mentioned are no longer the same and exist mostly in brand only. That said, Mr. Nurin may have no choice not to try to help in some way even if he wanted to personally.

I have actually considered a 2000, but the mulitiple problems have turned me off. I do consider the Lamy Al-Star one of the best FP's of all time based on design, utility, and wide availability to anyone. So, I would not turn away from Lamy all together. As you admitted, you did wait a long time for deciding to act on the problem pen.

I'm not sure if I agree with "warranties have an expiration date" at least based on the language of the warranty that was included with the pen.

At least based on what I've found, LL Bean, another "lifetime warranty" company, changed their policy to 1 year in 2018. After a bit of uproar, they clarified that, with a valid receipt, anything bought before the 2018 date continued to carry the warranty that had always been in place.

Two points worth noting.

First, Bob worked for the US Lamy (name escapes me at the moment) distributor and retired a few years ago. The distributor here in the USA has changed twice since then, and it is the second who talked him into coming out of hired him back. Bob does not set the warranty or the repair policies, he simply provides the repair services. As he's said to me many times, "They set the policy...." We're lucky to have him doing it again! He really cares about the customers.

Second, there was a court case years ago with Sheaffer, and the determination was that "lifetime" is 7 years, and that has been the standard used by many companies since then. It even applied to the "lifetime" warranty on the rustproofing on my car years ago.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

I also had problems with two older style 2000 pens. On one, the section was leaking ink, and on the other, the section broke off from the rest of the pen. I sent an email to the US Repair and heard nothing back. So, I just shipped the two pens to Germany. Because of Covid, it took about three months for them to get to Germany, and another month and a half from there back to me. Lamy shipped me two brand new pens. I just enclosed a letter in the package saying that I believed the pens came with lifetime warranty. I no longer had the receipts. Hope this helps.