The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Efnir: Diamine Prussian Blue

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 11:21

ACHTUNG: Bad News... my #10 has, after 10 years, experienced a vast IG fallout.

I can't get the sediment back into solution, but I suppose that's the aim of an IG ink in the first place. Well, here's at least what I see. You're responsible because it was your idea to whip out #10. Har, har, jus' kiddin', 'eh?

Akkerman's #10 -- what's left in solution as well as what ends up on paper -- has faded. Believe me, when I look at the solution itself plus precipitate in a beaker, there is in fact a great resemblance to Diamine's Prussian Blue. But the #10 scribbling shown here looks way too green. If I (or anybody else) can or will compare the flows, it seems that #10 still writes freer i.e. is wetter than Prussian Blue.

David, I have included MB's Royal Blue because you mentioned that you use it a lot. I use it a lot, too, simply because it is one of my very most favorite blues. Impeccable. Also wetter and freer than Prussian Blue (even if it takes longer to dry).

Here's the scan, using my Herbin glass dip pen on Rhodia's 80 g/m2 (21.3 lb.) paper. Drying times are in seconds.

fpn_1597227970__prussian_10_royal_2020-0

All in all, I'd sum it up like this (if you don't mind comparing apples, oranges and bananas):

Blue:  #10 < Prussian Blue < MB Royal Blue

Gray: MB Royal Blue < Prussian Blue < #10

Green: MB Royal Blue < #10 ≈ Prussian Blue

Flow: Prussian Blue < #10 < MB Royal Blue

Saturation: #10 < Prussian Blue ≈ MB Royal Blue

Time to dry: Prussian Blue < MB Royal Blue < #10

Whew!

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Sponsored Content

#22 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 16:48

ACHTUNG: Bad News... my #10 has, after 10 years, experienced a vast IG fallout.

I can't get the sediment back into solution, but I suppose that's the aim of an IG ink in the first place. Well, here's at least what I see. You're responsible because it was your idea to whip out #10. Har, har, jus' kiddin', 'eh?

Akkerman's #10 -- what's left in solution as well as what ends up on paper -- has faded. Believe me, when I look at the solution itself plus precipitate in a beaker, there is in fact a great resemblance to Diamine's Prussian Blue. But the #10 scribbling shown here looks way too green. If I (or anybody else) can or will compare the flows, it seems that #10 still writes freer i.e. is wetter than Prussian Blue.

David, I have included MB's Royal Blue because you mentioned that you use it a lot. I use it a lot, too, simply because it is one of my very most favorite blues. Impeccable. Also wetter and freer than Prussian Blue (even if it takes longer to dry).

Here's the scan, using my Herbin glass dip pen on Rhodia's 80 g/m2 (21.3 lb.) paper. Drying times are in seconds.

[pic]

All in all, I'd sum it up like this (if you don't mind comparing apples, oranges and bananas):

Blue:  #10 < Prussian Blue < MB Royal Blue

Gray: MB Royal Blue < Prussian Blue < #10

Green: MB Royal Blue < #10 ≈ Prussian Blue

Flow: Prussian Blue < #10 < MB Royal Blue

Saturation: #10 < Prussian Blue ≈ MB Royal Blue

Time to dry: Prussian Blue < MB Royal Blue < #10

Whew!

Thanks, Lapis!  Great addition to the thread.  Interesting that you say your #10 has gone a bit green - mine is far more green than what you show, so maybe it is #10, but #10 gone stale - oh, turned green like stale bread (just without the mold)! :lol:

#23 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 21:57

I'm afraid my #10 didn't just turn green (what'd be bad enough for any blue-black IG) but that it kicked the bucket as an ink in general. Its fallout means that too much of the solute has left the solution and just precipitated. I.e. it has actually and/or practically lost all of its color for writing. In a calamity like this, it is then basically irrelevant whether it has gained or lost blue, black, or green....  :sick: 

#24 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 22:10

I'm afraid my #10 didn't just turn green (what'd be bad enough for any blue-black IG) but that it kicked the bucket as an ink in general. Its fallout means that too much of the solute has left the solution and just precipitated. I.e. it has actually and/or practically lost all of its color for writing. In a calamity like this, it is then basically irrelevant whether it has gained or lost blue, black, or green....  :sick: 

Well, mine hasn't gotten there yet.  The interesting thing is that it looks black (or really dark blue in the vial), blue if I tip the vial so it's thin enough for light to go through, but if I dip a Q-Tip in there and swab, it's a green-grey color.  Very strange. :)  Not sure I dare put it in a pen.

#25 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 11:29

By Jove, don't put any pen in that ink's vicinity. Except for a glass dip pen.................................

#26 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 14:22

By Jove, don't put any pen in that ink's vicinity. Except for a glass dip pen.................................

:lol:  :thumbup:

#27 NeverTapOut

NeverTapOut

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:11

Thank you Lapis.

Sorry about your ink.

I am not trying to hijack the thread...I only brought it up because it looks like Prussian Blue.

I believe you did a review of number #10 a few months ago.

Would you say it is a wet IG? I like IGs...I just dislike the dryness...especially if your using it as an every day ink.

Also would feel comfortable using it in a MB 149?

I'm thinking about dedicating one to just IGs.

Respectfully,

David

#28 lapis

lapis

medium rare

• FPN Super Moderators

• 12,513 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 14:05

Akkerman's #10 does look a lot like Diamine's Prussian Blue.  At most, less green, more red. In any case wetter. What looks more like #10 is Diamine's Registrar's, which is unfortunately the absolutely driest of any ink I've ever used. Registrar's is an IG. ESSRI is also an IG, also too dry (IMO) but somewhere inbetween #10 and Registrar's.

Of all of these, I'd only recommend  -- and, myself, rebuy -- #10. You can use any of these inks in any pen, even an expensive one or a vintage pen; they're all safe. But I wouldn't fill any ink -- be it an IG or not -- if it contained any mold or big precipitate....

#29 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,632 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2020 - 00:49

Sigh. I think you guys just 'enabled' me yet again.

30ml bottle of Diamine Prussian Blue now on order from Cult Pens, taking advantage of the double-whammy of 10% discounts — not that the ink wasn't already extremely affordable to begin with.

Along with 34 other bottles of ink on the same order.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#30 LizEF

LizEF

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,484 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2020 - 00:51

Sigh. I think you guys just 'enabled' me yet again.

30ml bottle of Diamine Prussian Blue now on order from Cult Pens, taking advantage of the double-whammy of 10% discounts — not that the ink wasn't already extremely affordable to begin with.

Along with 34 other bottles of ink on the same order.

:lticaptd:

Sponsored Content

|