The 51 Returns!

eharriett

You are right that discussions centered around Parker making again the aerometric 51. Exactly as it had been produced. The cost was thought to be possibly prohibitive. The existence of the machinery or remaking the machinery I think came up. Yes, posters who were for a remake wanted an exact remake of the aerometric model 51. I don't think anybody wanted a 2002 type remake. The possibility of cartridge/converter was discussed. That there are lots of vintage 51s in the market was discussed. I think the possibilityof an exact remake of the aerometric 51 was considered to be unlikely. If this current pen is any good, and if it is reliable and if it has the right look, people might like it to some extent. Really not me, because I am too attached to the vintage 51 aerometric and that's what I want. Too used to putting the pen under good light and looking for the date code. Too used to the squeeze filler as a permanent part of the pen (in spite of the fact that I converted a 51 aero to C/C with a brass gadget from India). I like Lucite and Lustraloy. I like the 51 I have that is exactly like my father's 51 that he let me use sometimes. And there you have it.

I have always looked first for bargains as a way to make my money go farther. At 71 I am no longer in the "build a collection" mode. I am just appreciating what I have collected and at a different part of my life than when I was 20 to 60. So bargains that cannot be ignore are OK, but no point in big buck purchases any more. Crikey, now it is more about meds.

Your points are well taken. My Lamy Al Star uses a converter that I am very pleased using' over the aerometic system in the Parker 21 I use.

I do prefer contrasting gold and silver caps unless there is a soild gold one available.

I've been fortunate to have found two 1942 51's, one with the gold and sterling cap and a cedar blue barrel and a gold and dove. These are my favorite in appearance over all except for the double jewel first year model.

Edited by Estycollector

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estycollector

• pajaro

• eharriett

• inkstainedruth

You points are well taken. My Lamy Al Star uses a converter that I am very pleased using' over the aerometic system in the Parker 21 I use.

I do prefer contrasting gold and silver caps unless there is a soild gold one available.

I've been fortunate to have found two 1942 51's, one with the gold and sterling cap and a cedar blue barrel and a gold and dove. These are my favorite in appearance over all except for the double jewel first year model.

Double Jewel 51s were made until 1948.

I suspect Parker is not targeting the vintage 51 crowd with this offering.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I will stick to my supply line from antique dealers. Or is there any chance for a third round with you? :)

Maybe. PM me for details mitto.

My source for for the double jeweled version came from"

"The Parker “51” commonly referred to as a “First Year” pen is really a pen from late 1940 through 1941. They can be easily distinguished from later production by several unique characteristics. Practically all pens of this period are double jewels, meaning that they have a decorative “jewel” at the top of the cap and at the end of the barrel (a handful of single jewel pens dated 4th quarter 1941 with imprints by the clutch ring have been found). The imprint on the majority of these pens is at the end of the barrel, near the decorative “jewel”, all in one line."

http://parker51.com/index.php/51s/51-versions/

Perhaps I am misreading.

The Deluxe Plum is growing on me!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

My source for for the double jeweled version came from"

"The Parker “51” commonly referred to as a “First Year” pen is really a pen from late 1940 through 1941. They can be easily distinguished from later production by several unique characteristics. Practically all pens of this period are double jewels, meaning that they have a decorative “jewel” at the top of the cap and at the end of the barrel (a handful of single jewel pens dated 4th quarter 1941 with imprints by the clutch ring have been found). The imprint on the majority of these pens is at the end of the barrel, near the decorative “jewel”, all in one line."[/size]

http://parker51.com/index.php/51s/51-versions/

Perhaps I am misreading. [/size]

Neither of the pens I think you have are first year or first year like. A first year pen will be a double jewel pen except for a few demonstrators that seem to have not gotten a jewel. Single jewel pens were introduced in 1942. Both single and double jewel pens were made until the end of the vac filling production in 1948.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

The Parker 100 was an homage to the 51, too. It is one of the worst pens I ever bought and will not write most of the time, so I'll be skeptical of these until they've been out for a while.

I have not heard of the 100. Just did some looking up and some reviews both here on FPN and also other places. Thanks for the tip!

I look forward to trying a new Deluxe. At that price point it had better be very good indeed, but we’ll see. Personally I don’t care much about exact replicas of old designs. I’d rather see something new.

Neither of the pens I think you have are first year or first year like. A first year pen will be a double jewel pen except for a few demonstrators that seem to have not gotten a jewel. Single jewel pens were introduced in 1942. Both single and double jewel pens were made until the end of the vac filling production in 1948.

My pens are from 1942 and have a single jewel. My post said said that I would be interested in a double jewel first year 51.

The Parker 100 was an homage to the 51, too. It is one of the worst pens I ever bought and will not write most of the time, so I'll be skeptical of these until they've been out for a while.

I have 3 or so P100 FP's. They all write beautifully. Yours may have an atypical problem.

They've taken the listings down, both Fahrney's and Pen Boutique. I wonder why? I hope this doesn't mean they won't come out.

They've taken the listings down, both Fahrney's and Pen Boutique. I wonder why?

Maybe they read this thread..... :doh:

carlos.q : Lol yeah I could see that considering the negativity aimed towards the pen in this thread. I did find this pen on PW Akkerman's site, however, so there is hope!

Fahrney's facebook:

Parker 51 Update: We have just been informed this morning by Parker that the New 51's will no longer launch in October but will be coming in February of 2021. We will be pulling the items from our website shortly. There was an issue with the initial production run which is the cause of the delay.

I saw the pics for this pen before it got taken down, but I felt like besides the strange design changes they made, why not make one that could be useful? Like an ink window?

Fahrney's facebook:

Parker 51 Update: We have just been informed this morning by Parker that the New 51's will no longer launch in October but will be coming in February of 2021. We will be pulling the items from our website shortly. There was an issue with the initial production run which is the cause of the delay.

I bet Parker was following this thread and decided to make some changes....LOL!!