The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The 51 Returns!

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 17:49

You are right that discussions centered around Parker making again the aerometric 51.  Exactly as it had been produced.  The cost was thought to be possibly prohibitive.  The existence of the machinery or remaking the machinery I think came up.  Yes, posters who were for a remake wanted an exact remake of the aerometric model 51.  I don't think anybody wanted a 2002 type remake.  The possibility of cartridge/converter was discussed.  That there are lots of vintage 51s in the market was discussed.  I think the possibilityof an exact remake of the aerometric 51 was considered to be unlikely.  If this current pen is any good, and if it is reliable and if it has the right look, people might like it to some extent.  Really not me, because I am too attached to the vintage 51 aerometric and that's what I want.  Too used to putting the pen under good light and looking for the date code.  Too used to the squeeze filler as a permanent part of the pen (in spite of the fact that I converted a 51 aero to C/C with a brass gadget from India).  I like Lucite and Lustraloy.  I like the 51 I have that is exactly like my father's 51 that he let me use sometimes.  And there you have it. 

I have always looked first for bargains as a way to make my money go farther.  At 71 I am no longer in the "build a collection" mode.  I am just appreciating what I have collected and at a different part of my life than when I was 20 to 60.  So bargains that cannot be ignore are OK, but no point in big buck purchases any more.  Crikey, now it is more about meds.

Your points are well taken. My Lamy Al Star uses a converter that I am very pleased using' over the aerometic system in the Parker 21 I use. 

I do prefer contrasting gold and silver caps unless there is a soild gold one available. 

I've been fortunate to have found two 1942 51's, one with the gold and sterling cap and a cedar blue barrel and a gold and dove. These are my favorite in appearance over all except for the double jewel first year model. 

Edited by Estycollector, 09 August 2020 - 22:24.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Sponsored Content

#42 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 19:22

You points are well taken. My Lamy Al Star uses a converter that I am very pleased using' over the aerometic system in the Parker 21 I use. 

I do prefer contrasting gold and silver caps unless there is a soild gold one available. 

I've been fortunate to have found two 1942 51's, one with the gold and sterling cap and a cedar blue barrel and a gold and dove. These are my favorite in appearance over all except for the double jewel first year model.

Double Jewel 51s were made until 1948.

I suspect Parker is not targeting the vintage 51 crowd with this offering.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#43 JotterAddict62

JotterAddict62

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 20:11

I will stick to my supply line from antique dealers. Or is there any chance for a third round with you? :)

Maybe. PM me for details mitto.

#44 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 22:29

My source for for the double jeweled version came from"

"The Parker “51” commonly referred to as a “First Year” pen is really a pen from late 1940 through 1941.  They can be easily distinguished from later production by several unique characteristics.  Practically all pens of this period are double jewels, meaning that they have a decorative “jewel” at the top of the cap and at the end of the barrel (a handful of single jewel pens dated 4th quarter 1941 with imprints by the clutch ring have been found).  The imprint on the majority of these pens is at the end of the barrel, near the decorative “jewel”, all in one line."

http://parker51.com/...1s/51-versions/

Perhaps I am misreading. 

#45 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 22:50

The Deluxe Plum is growing on me!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#46 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 00:43

The Plum is only offered in the Deluxe 18kt nib version.

#47 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,253 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 01:28

My source for for the double jeweled version came from"
"The Parker “51” commonly referred to as a “First Year” pen is really a pen from late 1940 through 1941.  They can be easily distinguished from later production by several unique characteristics.  Practically all pens of this period are double jewels, meaning that they have a decorative “jewel” at the top of the cap and at the end of the barrel (a handful of single jewel pens dated 4th quarter 1941 with imprints by the clutch ring have been found).  The imprint on the majority of these pens is at the end of the barrel, near the decorative “jewel”, all in one line."[/size]
http://parker51.com/...1s/51-versions/

Perhaps I am misreading. [/size]

Neither of the pens I think you have are first year or first year like. A first year pen will be a double jewel pen except for a few demonstrators that seem to have not gotten a jewel. Single jewel pens were introduced in 1942. Both single and double jewel pens were made until the end of the vac filling production in 1948.
San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#48 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 04:44

The Parker 100 was an homage to the 51, too.  It is one of the worst pens I ever bought and will not write most of the time, so I'll be skeptical of these until they've been out for a while.

I have not heard of the 100. Just did some looking up and some reviews both here on FPN and also other places. Thanks for the tip!

#49 TheDutchGuy

TheDutchGuy

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,413 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 06:29

I look forward to trying a new Deluxe. At that price point it had better be very good indeed, but we’ll see. Personally I don’t care much about exact replicas of old designs. I’d rather see something new.

#50 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 09:54

Neither of the pens I think you have are first year or first year like. A first year pen will be a double jewel pen except for a few demonstrators that seem to have not gotten a jewel. Single jewel pens were introduced in 1942. Both single and double jewel pens were made until the end of the vac filling production in 1948.

My pens are from 1942 and have a single jewel. My post said said that I would be interested in a double jewel first year 51. 

#51 thx1138

thx1138

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:19

The Parker 100 was an homage to the 51, too.  It is one of the worst pens I ever bought and will not write most of the time, so I'll be skeptical of these until they've been out for a while.

I have 3 or so P100 FP's. They all write beautifully. Yours may have an atypical problem.

#52 thx1138

thx1138

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 11:19

The Plum is only offered in the Deluxe 18kt nib version.

It just gets better.

#53 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• 2,328 posts

Posted 10 August 2020 - 18:14

Try as I might, I don't see the Parker 51 on the Fahrney's site.  

#54 inkfade

inkfade

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 21:44

They've taken the listings down, both Fahrney's and Pen Boutique. I wonder why? I hope this doesn't mean they won't come out. 

#55 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,966 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 22:09

They've taken the listings down, both Fahrney's and Pen Boutique. I wonder why? 

Maybe they read this thread.....   :doh:

#56 inkfade

inkfade

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 August 2020 - 22:42

carlos.q : Lol yeah I could see that considering the negativity aimed towards the pen in this thread. I did find this pen on PW Akkerman's site, however, so there is hope! 

#57 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 00:29

Fahrney's facebook:

Parker 51 Update: We have just been informed this morning by Parker that the New 51's will no longer launch in October but will be coming in February of 2021. We will be pulling the items from our website shortly. There was an issue with the initial production run which is the cause of the delay.

#58 aimi

aimi

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 01:44

I saw the pics for this pen before it got taken down, but I felt like besides the strange design changes they made, why not make one that could be useful? Like an ink window?

#59 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 09:34

Fahrney's facebook:

Parker 51 Update: We have just been informed this morning by Parker that the New 51's will no longer launch in October but will be coming in February of 2021. We will be pulling the items from our website shortly. There was an issue with the initial production run which is the cause of the delay.

I bet Parker was following this thread and decided to make some changes....LOL!!

#60 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 12:16

I bet Parker was following this thread and decided to make some changes....LOL!!

Oh, I seriously doubt that.

Sponsored Content

|