The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The 51 Returns!

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 eharriett

eharriett

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 03:53

I just saw this link by Fahrneys. https://www.fahrneys...mpaign=Parker51

Anyone know anything more?

Sponsored Content

#2 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:27

I looked at the pens.  The fountain pen in particular looks like some kind of a Sheaffer, but doesn't have the 51 look I would want.  You people are welcome to them.

I felt particularly regaled by the Deluxe Ballpoint in Plum. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#3 Lam1

Lam1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,593 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 05:06

The hood profile looks a lot more like a 21 than a 51 to me.

Also, even though I dislike slip on caps, it isn't really a 51 if it has a screw cap (IMO).

They could have made a more appealing homage.

#4 mana

mana

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,373 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 07:39

Ummmm, nope. I like my originals, they can still be found quite readily for less than those and they are also still perfectly fine to use for decades more so... nope.

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 15,128 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:11

Its like how they cant replicate the pyramids or the Taj Mahal anymore. Only that in this case the original 51 is not even 100 years old. Fortunately there is enough stock of genuine 51s in the market with a variety of nibs.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 08:40

I agree with Hari, I would rather have the real thing, NOS 51s still keep coming to market and there are enough very good restorers who can give you a perfect, looks ike it was made yesterday.

This is the description

The Parker 51 is as groundbreaking today as it was when first launched in 1941. This unique writing instrument is inspired by the pen once hailed as the ‘world’s most wanted’ – retaining its distinctive streamlined silhouette and iconic hooded stainless steel nib; yet is made for the future – this pen is hand assembled and made from durable precious resin, benefitting from Parker’s expertise and reputation for superior craftsmanship. From conception to assembly, the attention to detail is second to none. The cap is decorated with a complementary metallic jewel and each finish is inspired by heritage colors of the past, a tribute to the original Parker 51 range. Inspired by the past. Made for the future. Cartridge/Converter Fill

It is not a 51 with a steel nib, wrong jewel, made of resin, wrong hood shape, wrong filler, wrong clip, the list goes on.

Edited by Parkette, 06 August 2020 - 08:45.

#7 vicpen123

vicpen123

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:37

No. No way. No way Jose.

Short, mid and long answers.

Should be called P132.

#8 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,099 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 09:54

I had been waiting to see what the asking price would be and I was correct. I'm waiting for the new metal version $25 Wing Sung 601 to get to the US.

Sorry Parker, you only have one opportunity to make a good impression. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#9 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:34

I'm not a 51 fan but I was keen to see how these looked. I'd hoped they might look a little better than this.  I saw the 'Empire State' 51 revival and that was quite beautiful but with a scary price tag. I thought they might at least issue something along those lines. A missed opportunity.

#10 SquelchB

SquelchB

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 10:36

Well, I have to admit my opinion differs a bit. The Plum deluxe thing looks very pretty and I am tempted. It is a modern take on the subject, not a re-edition of the original. Yes, the original will be very likely much better.

Why anyone thought it would be a good idea to use a screw cap is beyond me, though.

Edited by SquelchB, 06 August 2020 - 10:37.

#11 BrianMcQueen

BrianMcQueen

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 880 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 13:42

With the market saturated with cheap Parker 51 clones/homages/lookalikes, I don't see why Parker has chosen to produce something that looks like it could have come out of the Hero factory.  It has the hood shape of a 21, a screw cap, and a price tag that's 4 times the similar-looking clones.  Their only chance of success with re-releasing a "51" model is to do it in the luxury market, like they did with the Duofold.

#12 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 13:55

My $20 Wing Sung 601 is terrific- it really is the next best thing to my original 51s, for this form factor. I like it better than any of my fine-nibbed 21s and 51 Specials, for sure. 

I like the idea of supporting the Parker name. But I think I will pass on this one. 

#13 CS388

CS388

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 17:35

No, I don't think so. Not for me, anyway. I'll stick with my originals.

I agree with Parkette, too many small things which are not right - screw on cap?!.

I wish Parker all the best and hope they have success with this run of pens.

#14 Tadeusz

Tadeusz

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 17:57

Plastic threads for metal caps give me the heeby-geebies, let alone the now decorative fake clutch ring set up that it's got going on. Interesting to see that Parker has also hopped on the "precious resin" train of plastics - though I bet the Lucite originals will withstand a bit more abuse.

I don't think my little stable of '51's in daily use will have to fear replacement anytime soon - especially by this interpretation!

#15 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,614 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 18:53

I don't think I'll bite either, looks more 21 ish to me, converter and screw on cap.  Not a starter for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#16 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,736 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 19:26

At $109 US, the price isn't horrible.  OTOH, I've paid less apiece for ALL my 51s except for the English-made Navy Gray Aero, and that one I was bidding on the OB nib as much as anything.  And that includes repairs on a few of the 51 Vacs.  So, given my overall impression of most modern Parkers (the Vectors being a notable exception, and most of those are UK-made)?  I'll pass.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#17 inkfade

inkfade

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 23:29

I will likely be purchasing the plum when it comes out. It looks so beautiful! I might wait for some others to try first so I can read some reviews, but otherwise I am so excited for these. I love the look, love the fact that it takes cartridges, and that it comes with a medium nib. I have often considered purchasing an actual 51, but ultimately, I hate the original filling system and I could never find one with a nib bigger than F for a not-insane price. Also, most of them were beat up or scratched or had somebody's initials carved into them, or you'd have to buy it and then send it off again to have some part of it restored. So excited for these! 

#18 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,634 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 00:55

NO!

Fred

#19 Parker51

Parker51

Old dog

• Member - Gold

• 1,744 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 02:12

They really don't look like 51s.
I will hold my judgement in regard to them as pens until I can actually see them and handle them in person.

#20 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 August 2020 - 03:18

Yeah, sadly prejudiced with my old aerometrics and new 601s, both of which are stellar workhorses

plus who's gonna fix these newbies if they break?

Sponsored Content

|