Gvfc Intuition Platino Issues

cpmcnamara

Hello - wanted to get the forums thoughts. Long-time Faber Castell fan who recently upgraded to the intuition platino. Its a perfect pen from an aesthetic and design standpoint, and the nib writes well when wet.

My problem - even shortly after getting it, it dries out very quickly (even during writing). My cap also seems a bit unstable - it doesnt make an audible click, more like mushy engagement that feels like it could fall off. Is this normal?

I read similar complaints on this pen. Wanted to understand if this was the way it always is or if this is hit or miss.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cpmcnamara

• Paul-in-SF

• jar

• praxim

It's not normal to dry out during writing. The most likely culprit is vapor lock. If you are using the converter switch to a cartridge and see if the issue goes away.

My Website

I have the resin (rather than the wood) version, and I do get a definite click when capping my pen. I can't tell for sure what the mechanism is for producing that click -- it appears to be the top outside corner of the pen material interacting with the first part of the inside cap. That doesn't seem like a great arrangement, but I haven't had a problem with it so far.

Mine too is resin, an Intuition Ivory, and there is no click at all. Rather, the cap slides on like an old fashioned slip cap. There is no ring to capture the cap. I find it comes off a little too easily.

Regarding starvation, test with a cartridge as jar says, and if that works then slip a bit of non-corroding metal into your converter, e.g. a gold keyboard spring.

X

Thanks for the responses. I find this a very odd pen. Its like they took the time to make it aesthetically and ergonomically perfect - and they clearly do nib work beyond some of the other brands. But then they forgot about the basics (I.e a cap that clicks solidly without leaking in air). Its kind of ashame as they were so close to a slam dunk. As it stands, while I can recommend the gvfc classic whole heartedly, I will have reservations with this one.

My reservations with this pen are about the design -- it is slightly too short to be comfortable for me to write unposted, but posting adds too much back-weightt; this is made worse by the shape of the cap. Access to the converter (or cartridge I presume) is clever if you care about not holding a pen by the threads (not an issue anyway here) or a barrel step-up, but those things rarely bother me so it seems gimmicky. On the whole, I don't regard it as worth what I paid for it, sad to say.

Edited by Paul-in-SF

There should be a definite click when the cap goes on.

Mine did dry out when capped. The solution is to insert a small amount of Vaseline (or your choice of poison) into the gap under the clip where it hinges. That is where the air is circulating. Seal that gap non-destructively and your drying out problem will cease.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does a kind of click when the cap goes on but the sound is not as sharp as with a ST Dupont.

It dries out when capped but not in a short time, definitely not when writing. Cap does move a little bit when capped.

Regards

Ciao

Andrea

• 5 months later...

My Intuition in ebony does click audibly. It does dry out, though never completely, and it is fine for a couple days at least. They changed the end of the section design at some point (thicker vs. thinner metal bands at the end on wood models, at least).