Moonman S5 & Wing Sung 601

Mech-for-i

while all the - well - hype with the virus are going viral ; there are still some new pens proping up here and there worth a look IMHO

Moonman S5 is essentially an update of their S2 with all acrylic construction and with a build in roll stop

O1CN01QETzvY1xBzo7fStus_!!81296406.jpg

Wing Sung 601-II / 601A open nib version now come in an all steel variant ( not just flighter )

O1CN01iQcOp92KkYrBqe5Lx_!!2031129595.jpg

and of course the 601 also ( likely the most robust vacumetic ever )

O1CN01DCwQlj2KkYrd9LrD8_!!2031129595.jpg

And Hero got , as usual , a bunch of new models that are all that mid range workhorse but not quite the cheap or student pen kind , and Jinhao is adding more patterned acrylic to their 100 Century range , and yet 2 more new colour / pattern to the Kaigelu 316 ( reworked version )

Edited by Mech-for-i

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mech-for-i

• Flounder

• eharriett

• OCArt

Thanks for posting these updates Mech-for-i, it's nice to see what new things are coming our of China.

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

I never knew that there was a flighter 601. I just wonder how heavy the pen is......... I just hope that it is a sensible figure. I already have three 601 already.

The WS 601 is pretty close to what a re-launched Parker 51 should be. It is not a direct copy of the previous versions, but it is an update of a very old design for reliability's sake. As for the 601A... I don't know what to make of the Shaeffer Triumph styled variant, but the open nib pen is just asking for one of those 14K Lucky nibs. I wonder what the ink capacity is vs the 698? They look as though they could be pretty close to each other.

I do have the 14 Karat nib version of the 698.

Edit: In case I ruffled a few feathers of the Parker 51 fans. I have a Aerometric P51 myself.

Edited by Dip n Scratch

and here's the Flighter , and again available in hooded, Triumph or open nib version all , I had to agree with the assessment that the 601 close to what a re-launch P51 would be like ; though I no longer use mine, I got a vacumetic P51 in my collection , the 601 definitely a worthy update and an upgrade of the mechanism ; I had a piston Pump version of the 601 which had the 12K nib and its one of my usual EDC

O1CN01gGBAs62KkYqfz4UqU_!!2031129595.jpg

All very impressive. I hope to find one when available in the US.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

Now if I could only order pens like the WS601 with a broad or stub nib! I wish these 51 homage pens used the same size tubular nibs as the P51then I could interchange for a nice broad made in England P51 nib

We Are Our Ancestors’ Wildest Dreams

and here's the Flighter , and again available in hooded, Triumph or open nib version all

O1CN01gGBAs62KkYqfz4UqU_!!2031129595.jpg

Huh, plastic hood instead of the metal hood of the two tone version. I think a full stainless steel finish with metal hood will look pretty slick. Now if only it comes with a steel nib version to bring the cost down; gold nib in a hooded nib setup doesn't make enough of a difference for me to justify the price increase.

... gold nib in a hooded nib setup doesn't make enough of a difference for me to justify the price increase.

Why not? Gold is gold; that's justification enough. The material costs more than steel, and it still writes in the way a gold nib does — for anyone who insists that there's an inherent difference in performance functionally and qualitatively between gold nibs and steel nibs — even if the owner has literally little to show for a hooded gold nib. For a pen that looks like that, I'd personally think there's nothing to show to anyone anyway; the 'value' is in structural robustness and functional performance as a writing instrument. It isn't what I'd call a luxury item, notwithstanding having gold this or other, any more than I'd call a Platinum Vicoh PTL-5000A or KDP-3000A desk pen a luxury item for having a gold nib.

Not feeling one is getting sufficient value for money in return or, more particularly, feeling that there's a cost-reduction opportunity one would have dearly liked but have been unilaterally forgone by someone else (i.e. the manufacturer) on behalf of oneself, does not lead to any objective or 'independent' evaluation that the differential in price — set by the manufacturer and/or retailer for its own business reasons — is not justified.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Maybe I'm not seeing it on my monitor: did they remove the ink window from those metal 601's? If so, that is a genuine loss.

The ink window made the 601 superior in many ways to the 51 for me.

Also would love a gold option for the nib -- would make it perfect :)

Well they did remove the ink window on all the steel barrel version , and both the hooded and open nib version had 14K option ( on their all steel model and I believe also the flighter too but I got to check, I might be wrong on the latter part ) , the normal plastic version of the open and hooded nib had gold nib option already

Huh, plastic hood instead of the metal hood of the two tone version.

The plastic hood version is available now in single and 2 tone. I think it just took them a little longer to get the metal hood ready for production.

Well they did remove the ink window on all the steel barrel version , and both the hooded and open nib version had 14K option

OK, I just spent 10 minutes looking for a Wing Sung P51 variant for the flighter with a 14k nib. I must be searching for it wrong. Can you please link me to one? If there's a Wing Sung with a 14k nib in Flighter plus aerometric or vacuum filler, I need to find it because I have a specific need for one! The gold nib makes all the difference for this!

Why not? Gold is gold; that's justification enough. The material costs more than steel, and it still writes in the way a gold nib does for anyone who insists that there's an inherent difference in performance functionally and qualitatively between gold nibs and steel nibs even if the owner has literally little to show for a hooded gold nib. For a pen that looks like that, I'd personally think there's nothing to show to anyone anyway; the 'value' is in structural robustness and functional performance as a writing instrument. It isn't what I'd call a luxury item, notwithstanding having gold this or other, any more than I'd call a Platinum Vicoh PTL-5000A or KDP-3000A desk pen a luxury item for having a gold nib.

Not feeling one is getting sufficient value for money in return or, more particularly, feeling that there's a cost-reduction opportunity one would have dearly liked but have been unilaterally forgone by someone else (i.e. the manufacturer) on behalf of oneself, does not lead to any objective or 'independent' evaluation that the differential in price set by the manufacturer and/or retailer for its own business reasons is not justified.

Alright let me rephrase myself a bit, I'm not saying the manufacturer is wrong for charging more for a gold nib, I just can't justify to MYSELF for spending triple the price on a gold nib when it's a nail.

I'm also of the opinion (an opinion, not claiming it to be a fact here) that stainless steel nibs are equivalent in performance to rigid gold nibs. I know some people can feel that otherworldly superior quality of a hard gold nib, but they feel the same to me and my frugal mind (or just being cheap, to call a spade a spade) prefers to have some tangible benefit when spending more. Though I realize it's rather ironic to talk about frugality when making unnecessary purchases like a fountain pen.

Finally I want to point out that material cost of gold alone is not the full picture, especially when you consider that the item is so small. The price increase is also from the different toolings and machineries needed to work with the material, and the extra care that is put into producing the gold nib. All of those "extras" during production need to be accounted for, then we have the higher profit margin from the higher perceived value of gold nibs. I remember seeing people posting the cost of gold versus stainless steel per unit gram as the end-all argument that gold nibs are overpriced, which is also flawed for the same reason.

Edit: (TL/DR) Different strokes for different folks, you know.

Edited by Cyclohexene

I received one of the new 601 "Flighter" pens. I enjoyed the added heft, but I did miss the ink window. Capping felt a little mushy, but otherwise build quality was pretty solid. The pen does post, but it gets back heavy. I swapped out the nib for a mini-fude from an eBay seller and it wrote nicely. I ended up passing the pen on, but it was a decent writer and looked sharp. I think it would be a reasonable pen for a budget carry.

OK, I just spent 10 minutes looking for a Wing Sung P51 variant for the flighter with a 14k nib. I must be searching for it wrong. Can you please link me to one? If there's a Wing Sung with a 14k nib in Flighter plus aerometric or vacuum filler, I need to find it because I have a specific need for one! The gold nib makes all the difference for this!

Well I just check this last moment and yes Shanghai JL is indeed offering 14K option for 601 in the all steel ; flighter and double jewelled / gold plated cap plastic finish where 12K option are offered for the original round tail piston pump version too.

So yes they had it ; it might not though get into online retail elsewhere ; you might need to talk to your retailer to see if they can get you one

Well I just check this last moment and yes Shanghai JL is indeed offering 14K option for 601 in the all steel ; flighter and double jewelled / gold plated cap plastic finish where 12K option are offered for the original round tail piston pump version too.

So yes they had it ; it might not though get into online retail elsewhere ; you might need to talk to your retailer to see if they can get you one

Sorry, the only retailer available to me is online and I’m still not finding it, I’m afraid.

I am sure they will show up eventually in the US/Amazon or eBay.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"