Stock 149 Nibs Which Are Architect/hebrew/arabic In Character?

a.zy.lee

I've tried a couple 146 fine nibs which had architect-like writing qualities. I love this type of nib, the feel and look is perfect to me. The medium nib however does not have this quality at all, so I don't think it's deliberate.

I was wondering if 149 (fine) nibs exhibit the same character?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• a.zy.lee

• Barry Gabay

• gerigo

• adim

Top Posters In This Topic

While I can't speak of stock nibs with such a character, I've noticed a couple of days ago that Appelboom in the Netherlands started offering custom grinds, including the types you mention.

What's not clear to me, however, is whether they offer those grinds for any nib or did they start selling their own nibs, as pictured here (you can see their logo on the nib in the picture):

https://appelboom.com/nib-customization/

Moreover, I don't know whether such customisation is acceptable to Montblanc, i.e. whether it voids the warranty. It would be interesting to say the least to have a 149 Architect/Hebrew grind with just an extra of €50.

But if you're interested, I reckon you can write to Joost Appelboom and ask. He's always been very quick and helpful to reply to me.

In my experience the 149 EF has a pronounced architect character out of the box. And if I remember correctly there was a thread about this very phenomenon quite recently... so we're not alone in noticing it or liking it.

Anthony

ukfountainpens.com

My EF and F model 149s from the 1970s & early 80s have a distinct Arabic-Hebrew (wide horizontal, narrow vertical) look, the style recently known as architect. Both of my wife's 144 EFs from 20 or 25 years ago also have that style nib. Hers are even more pronounced than mine with one exception, a 149 EF I purchased new in 1980.

The EF nibs from the earlier 2000s are distinctly architect like. However the latest EFs that I have are no longer that way unfortunately.

The EF nibs from the earlier 2000s are distinctly architect like. However the latest EFs that I have are no longer that way unfortunately.

Ah that's a shame. I was hoping the current ones would be architecty. At least the 146s still are.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Announcements

• Most Contributions

1. amberleadavis
      amberleadavis
    2. PAKMAN
      PAKMAN
    3. Ghost Plane
      Ghost Plane
    4. inkstainedruth
      inkstainedruth
    5. jar
      jar
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Comments

• Shanghai Knife Dude
      I have the Sailor Naginata and some fancy blade nibs coming after 2022 by a number of new workshop from China.  With all my respect, IMHO, they are all (bleep) in doing chinese characters.  Go use a bush, or at least a bush pen. 
    • A Smug Dill
      It is the reason why I'm so keen on the idea of a personal library — of pens, nibs, inks, paper products, etc. — and spent so much money, as well as time and effort, to “build” it for myself (because I can't simply remember everything, especially as I'm getting older fast) and my wife, so that we can “know”; and, instead of just disposing of what displeased us, or even just not good enough to be “given the time of day” against competition from >500 other pens and >500 other inks for our at
    • adamselene
      Agreed.  And I think it’s good to be aware of this early on and think about at the point of buying rather than rationalizing a purchase..
    • A Smug Dill
      Alas, one cannot know “good” without some idea of “bad” against which to contrast; and, as one of my former bosses (back when I was in my twenties) used to say, “on the scale of good to bad…”, it's a spectrum, not a dichotomy. Whereas subjectively acceptable (or tolerable) and unacceptable may well be a dichotomy to someone, and finding whether the threshold or cusp between them lies takes experiencing many degrees of less-than-ideal, especially if the decision is somehow influenced by factors o
    • adamselene
      I got my first real fountain pen on my 60th birthday and many hundreds of pens later I’ve often thought of what I should’ve known in the beginning. I have many pens, the majority of which have some objectionable feature. If they are too delicate, or can’t be posted, or they are too precious to face losing , still they are users, but only in very limited environments..  I have a big disliking for pens that have the cap jump into the air and fly off. I object to Pens that dry out, or leave blobs o
  • Chatbox

You don't have permission to chat.
    Load More
  • Files