The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Bock Nibs Leaking?

leak burp collector feed bock

9 replies to this topic

#1 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:10

Dear all,

I've recently tried 3 bock nibs (all new), all with three sealed cartriges, and all 3 nibs, when pointing downwards, would collect ink quickly between the fins, and if I write like that would burp the ink on paper. None of my other Bock nibs that I've had for a while did this.

Now I have another one in hand (for someone else), and it's doing the same thing, using a converter.

I am sure there is no air leak anywhere, and to be honest, 4 nibs is way too much of a coincidence. What are your thoughts please?

Sponsored Content

#2 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,560 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 03:12

Weird. Were the 3 cartridges all from the same box? It's possible that bock nib unit just doesn't play nice with that cartridge - "standard international" is a bit misleading, since there is enough variety in that for quite a lot of cartridges and converters to fit some but not others.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#3 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 15:13

Thaks for passing by. The cartridges are definitley the good varity and have been used with other pens, even other Bock nibs. This happened with a good quality converter just before that too, which is where I blamed the convertr and moved to the cartriges.

Really weird.

#4 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 16:47

Dear all,

I've recently tried 3 bock nibs (all new),

How many pens? Screw-in housings, or did you pull the nibs? Might not be a cartridge problem.

Edited by Karmachanic, 02 August 2020 - 16:48.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#5 Newton Pens

Newton Pens

Pen Making Nib Grinding Nut

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 16:51

check the housings for fine cracks.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

#6 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 22:44

3 new nibs and 1 used nib. Different inks. No cracks in nib housings and all screw-in units. Full seal between the nipple and cartrige, before you ask. 

#7 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibalitic

• Member - Gold

• 2,868 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:52

I'm sure you checked, but I can think of only two other possibilities. Nib/feed not firmly seated, or housing not fully and firmly screwed in. To be doubly sure I'd be inclined to pull the nib/feed and re-seat, ensuring that the shoulders of the nib are not forward of the shoulders of the feed.

Edited by Karmachanic, 04 August 2020 - 21:17.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

#8 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 20:54

Do the screw-in nib units need o-rings, and could the o-ring be missing?

#9 Newton Pens

Newton Pens

Pen Making Nib Grinding Nut

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,054 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 21:08

Do the screw-in nib units need o-rings, and could the o-ring be missing?

No.

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

#10 KingRoach

KingRoach

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 August 2020 - 23:58

I'm sure you checked, but I can think of only two other possibilities. Nib/feed not firmly seated, or housing not fully and firmly screwed in. To be doubly sure I'd be inclined to pull the nib/feed and re-seat, ensuring that the shoulders of the nib are not forward of the shoulders of the feed.

I've checked and then rechecked.

I've had an older nib which worked. I swapped feeds between this and a "leaking" nib, and the leak followed the feed.

I'm sure these feeds are allowing more air in than they should but I cannot for the life of me see how they could be doing that. They don't seem to have anything different about them, even very up close.

And yes I've checked alignment, positioning, and how deep a feed is going and where the nib is sitting, and how high I'm wearing my socks when I test them. Everything. It's just a real puzzle.

I hope to figure it out as I don't want this to happen often. :( 

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leak, burp, collector, feed, bock

Sponsored Content

|