The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan M800 Section Separated

repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lmederos

lmederos

got ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 20:02

Hi all !

I have an M800 that I recently dropped on the floor, while the cap was screwed.

I was surprised to see ink all over the floor, and when I picked it up, the cap and the screwed nib and piston were separated from the section where the ink is stored.

The section seems to have "popped out" from a collar.  Has anyone experienced this?   Since the nib is still screwed on the cap, it is hard to see exactly what happened.

Any suggestions?

Thanks !!

Posted Image

-- Luis

Sponsored Content

#2 lmederos

lmederos

got ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:32

PelikanM800.Section.Separated.2.jpg

Sorry --- I really was not thinking when I wrote the msg above.

The piston is *inside* the section that separated from the nib collar.   The image shows the cap (with the nib inside, attached to the cap as normally when capped).   I have never had something like this happen.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

Thanks

Posted Image

-- Luis

#3 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:42

Yes. This is known to happen to m800s. You can get Pelikan to fix or replace. Its also possible to solvent weld the pieces together.

#4 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 06:14

Two things have happened.

The barrel-section fused joint has detached. The barrel's spigot seems to have neatly sheared off. With a part of it still remaining inside the section.

The binde has separated from the barrel.

I have had great success with pelikan service in Germany. Depending on where you are located you can enquire either with Pelikan or third party pen mechanics who guarantee their work.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#5 lmederos

lmederos

got ink?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 18:48

Thanks for your replies.

I have contacted Pelikan and waiting for their response.

It is a perfect separation of the barrel --- smooth all around.

Posted Image

-- Luis

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 19:16

There is a exploded view of a Pelikan 800 at the top of the repair forum.  The barrel itself is clear or tinted plastic, with a nose piece sticking out that the section is glued onto.  The striped part of the barrel is called the binde, which is glued on over the barrel itself.  Last I heard Pelikan charges $250 for a replacement barrel when the pen is out of warranty.

I don't know how many fail VS the number of pens sold, but I repair an average of 3-4 of the pens a month, and have for nearly a decade.   In most cases the nose piece snaps off, leaving the forward part in the section.  Sometimes it's a clean break, sometimes uneven.  Yours is one of the more extreme cases that I've seen, where the binde has come off as well.

There is an awful lot of stress in this area as you write.  Given how they break, and how often I see them, I don't think that just solvent welding the pieces together is adequate.  I machine a bushing to bridge the break, and machine barrel and section to fit, then bond the pieces together.  I have 4 of them that I've done and use to test the durability of the repair.  Thus far, none have broken in the repair area.  Barrels have broken if stressed enough, but always somewhere else.  Thus far, none have come back to me because the repair failed.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#7 Seney724

Seney724

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 20:30

Two things have happened.

The barrel-section fused joint has detached. The barrel's spigot seems to have neatly sheared off. With a part of it still remaining inside the section.

The binde has separated from the barrel.

I have had great success with pelikan service in Germany. Depending on where you are located you can enquire either with Pelikan or third party pen mechanics who guarantee their work.

I agree with Hari 100%.

In my opinion, Pelikan is the "best of class" when it comes to modern day fountain pen manufacturers and their post sales service.  They really stand behind their pens.

Pelikan will either perform a "good as new" repair upon your pen or replace the barrel-section fused joint completely.  And, it will come with a full warranty which covers their work.  The length of the warranty may vary by country, though.

You will be treated as though you are a valued customer.  :yikes:   Imagine that!!!  A very pleasant experience!!!

Good luck; let us know how it turns out.

#8 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 21:24

The solvent welded one i have here is going on 20 years since the repair.

#9 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,946 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 22:19

The solvent welded one i have here is going on 20 years since the repair.

Great!  I do a lot of solvent welding, and though they're generally strong, I've also seen solvent welds fail, so there is a strong skeptical element in my thinking.   I can't take the risk of the repair breaking again with a client's pen so I go for the strongest repair I can come up with.  I also think it depends on how and where it broke, and how heavy a hand you have.  My hand is heavy enough that sometimes I can feel a section shifting slightly as I write, and that's light compared to some of my  clients.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: repair

Sponsored Content

|