The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pelikan 100 Piston Seized Up!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yubaprof

yubaprof

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 19:27

I originally posted this in the Pelikan forum, but I am hoping I might get a few more suggestions. I have a Pelikan 100 that I acquired about a year and a half ago from a dealer in Madrid (1938 vintage). I tried it out in the shop and observed it being filled. It has continued to work nicely until  last week. Suddenly (drum roll?) I couldn't turn the piston. Totally stuck. I removed the nib and flushed the barrel but no change. Is there anything further I can do or does it have to go out for repair? Thanks for any suggestions.

Yubaprof

Sponsored Content

#2 ralfstc

ralfstc

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 19:37

Two possibilities: piston seal not moving in barrel (dried ink etc) or the threaded parts not working as they should. In most cases, the easy way to fix this would be to remove the piston mechanism from the barrel, clean everything up, and off you go. Removing the piston on a 100 is dicussed here: http://www.fountainp...kan-100-piston/

With a 1938 I'd urge caution due to possible fragility of the barrel. In addition, I wonder if the aridity of your climate may have played a part in some dimensional changes over time. In any case, it is a lovely pen, and it would be heart-breaking to hurt it. If you are reasonably experienced at repairs you could try removing the piston to see if it unthreads easily, which would make things much easier. Most likely it won't though, in which case it is worth a trip to a pro.

Good luck!

Ralf

#3 yubaprof

yubaprof

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 23:08

Thanks Ralf. I have no experience at all and if it were a less desirable pen I might take a chance, but this is a really nice writer and in terrific condition so I am going to send it out. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Much appreciated.

Yubaprof

#4 FountainNewbie

FountainNewbie

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 August 2020 - 12:18

Hi YubaProf,

If you havent done it before, removing the piston on that pen could be a bit risky as will most probably crack if not heated.

if the piston is stuck due to the threads, you could remove the nib section and then with a thin stick (like a toothpick but not sharp) try to push the piston from the section hole (gently) whilst turning/wiggle the knob. This is to unstuck the piston and/or put the threads back in place as sometimes they 'misaligned' when the mechanism is old/worn out.

I wouldn't recommend to open it as it could be risky, but if no other option then first option is to send to a professional... otherwise you have to heat it and remember to turn clockwise

Edited by FountainNewbie, 06 August 2020 - 13:12.

Sponsored Content

|