The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Modern Duofold Centennials - French Vs Uk

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:48

I have been interested in modern Duofold Centennials for a while now and am finally at the point where I would like to buy one.

How do the current production ones made in France compare with the older MKI version with the arrow nib? I can get both for around $250 each in solid colors (though some of the older marbled ones are really nice). The benefit of the French one is that it would be new and in red (orange) though I find I prefer the style of the nibs and trim on the older MKI to be better looking.

Does anyone have both and can compare the nibs? I believe the old MKI nibs were actually made by Parker where the current production is made by Waterman. Also the MKI has both 14kt and 18kt nibs.

Sponsored Content

#2 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 05:32

I have been interested in modern Duofold Centennials for a while now and am finally at the point where I would like to buy one.

How do the current production ones made in France compare with the older MKI version with the arrow nib? I can get both for around $250 each in solid colors (though some of the older marbled ones are really nice). The benefit of the French one is that it would be new and in red (orange) though I find I prefer the style of the nibs and trim on the older MKI to be better looking.

Does anyone have both and can compare the nibs? I believe the old MKI nibs were actually made by Parker where the current production is made by Waterman. Also the MKI has both 14kt and 18kt nibs.

I have both and there is very little difference, the quality is the same. It is my understanding that the nibs were always produced at the Parker/Waterman plant anyway. I have one 14kt nib which were, I understand, mainly for the USA market. Very little difference performance. My favourites are the marbled ones but that purely a personal preference. Apart from the latest Prestige models all parts are interchangeable anyway.

Peter

#3 Keyless Works

Keyless Works

Antique

• FPN Donor - Iridium

• 1,836 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:10

Thanks for the info Peter!

I did not think Waterman was in the picture (meaning not part of the same conglomerate) when the Mark I was created in the late 80s? Obviously if nibs feel the same it doesn't really matter.

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 07:37

Thanks for the info Peter!

I did not think Waterman was in the picture (meaning not part of the same conglomerate) when the Mark I was created in the late 80s? Obviously if nibs feel the same it doesn't really matter.

You are correct of course. What I should have said was " It is my understanding that the nibs were always produced at the French Parker plant anyway". This was at Meru until Gillette closed it and moved production to Waterman in Nantes.

Peter

#5 Joane

Joane

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,735 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 18:43

I find the nib quality and performance excellent with both the French and English Duofold nibs.
Happiness is a real Montblanc...

#6 peroride

peroride

Write now, enjoy pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 23:18

I have both 1988 UK and 2019-2020 French

IMHO vintage (UK) solid fit and finish bests recent (French) and very slight edge on the smoothness of the nib as well

But I'm partial to vintage.

Sponsored Content

|