The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

npd vpd vintage new pen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 20:58

Odd. The inlaid nibs on the Targas (and PFMs) are exceptionally robust.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Sponsored Content

#22 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 August 2020 - 10:17

I received the two vintage Sheaffers I ordered, a Snorkel and a Targa (I guess the Targa isn't "vintage"). They wrote beautifully -- both mediums. 

However, I did not like how fragile the nibs felt, especially on the Targa. In both pens, I kept feeling like I was going to bend them or even break them. And I am not a hard writer. 

So I hated to do it, but I decided to send them back. They were too expensive to instantly become pens I never use.  :(

I guess I have been spoiled by those bulletproof Parker hooded nibs. 

You've become more discriminating, a good thing!! Knowing what you prefer and sending back a highly sought after couple of pens is a big deal. :)

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#23 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 03:22

You've become more discriminating, a good thing!! Knowing what you prefer and sending back a highly sought after couple of pens is a big deal. :)

That's a lovely way of looking at it!

#24 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 September 2020 - 21:25

I decided to give the Targa another go, after seeing some pages I wrote with the one I bought and returned a couple months back because "I didn't like it". (or maybe one month? who can recall these days?) 

I can't help it. I like the looks of them too much. So I ordered one just now from Peyton Street, along with a bottle of Skrip Blue. We'll see how it goes. 

#25 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:31

I am waiting for the arrival of a Tuckaway Deluxe, also ordered from Peyton Street Pens.  

My only other Shaeffer is a Viewpoints calligraphy pen, from a set given to my daughter as a gift when she was ten.

#26 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 01:03

The Targa is a steady friend.  I've had two from the early 1980s and still ink them up.  I did buy one that I thought was sterling, but discovered it was plated and returned it to the seller for a full refund.  He even [surprisingly] reimbursed me for the cost of mailing it back to him.  I replaced it with a Parker Sonnet [genuine] because the original purchase was mad to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  An important date, and we are only days away from the 26th!!!

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#27 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 16:33

The Targa is a steady friend.  I've had two from the early 1980s and still ink them up.  I did buy one that I thought was sterling, but discovered it was plated and returned it to the seller for a full refund.  He even [surprisingly] reimbursed me for the cost of mailing it back to him.  I replaced it with a Parker Sonnet [genuine] because the original purchase was mad to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.  An important date, and we are only days away from the 26th!!!

Congratulations!

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#28 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 September 2020 - 19:05

Thanks, Paul.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

#29 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 September 2020 - 23:59

Beautiful new arrival today:

Sheaffer Connaisseur

811 BURGUNDY STANDARD RESIN FOUNTAIN PEN, 18k Medium nib

I thought I was buying a black one, but I am thrilled to realize it was burgundy. (not that you can tell from this picture)

I was expecting the Diamine Registrar's to act just like ESSRI. (some people think they're the same ink). And it mostly does, going down dark blue and turning black before your eyes. But I think it might be a little smoother. Of course, it could just be this lovely nib.

3kJuz8p.jpg

Edited by NumberSix, Yesterday, 00:10.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: npd, vpd, vintage, new pen

Sponsored Content

|