The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Sheaffers Have Joined Your Collection Lately?

npd vpd vintage new pen

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 02:53

I have enjoyed the heck out of the Parker thread. And since I have a couple of nice Sheaffers scheduled to arrive as soon as Monday, I thought I would start this topic up. 

So, what Sheaffers have you added to the fold of late? Modern, vintage, rare, easy-to-find. All are welcome in this general discussion thread. 

Bring photos when you can!  :)

Sponsored Content

#2 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:25

A 1936-7 Balance Premier, restored courtesy of Gerry Berg. Haven't had the urge to consider anything else since I first inked this up :)

fpn_1592191789__os-balance.jpg

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#3 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 03:27

Gorgeous! 

#4 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:35

A few weeks ago a couple of antiques shops south of me were having "Christmas in July" sales.  And in the second one I found a low-end black Snorkel (I think the model is a Special).  And everything in the place was 20% off if you paid cash -- so I got the pen for about $8.50 US.  (In the other place I found a Maroon/Dusty Rose Parker Laidtone Duovac, which I paid a LOT more for....)  Of course, I'll pay a lot more to get the Snorkel checked out and probably up and running.  Did really need a THIRD black Snorkel?  Probably not.  But at that price?  Sure....  :rolleyes: 

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#5 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 11:31

My one and only. 

fpn_1591654457__crest.jpg

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#6 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 16:15

A few weeks ago a couple of antiques shops south of me were having "Christmas in July" sales.  And in the second one I found a low-end black Snorkel (I think the model is a Special).  And everything in the place was 20% off if you paid cash -- so I got the pen for about $8.50 US.  (In the other place I found a Maroon/Dusty Rose Parker Laidtone Duovac, which I paid a LOT more for....)  Of course, I'll pay a lot more to get the Snorkel checked out and probably up and running.  Did really need a THIRD black Snorkel?  Probably not.  But at that price?  Sure....  :rolleyes: 

And hence my comment in the Parker thread about your magic bargain-finding powers.

So what if you pay $50 to get it fixed up? That's approx $70 (counting shipping) for a working Snorkel. I just paid $150 to Peyton for a snorkel and pencil set - and was happy to do it. 

I adore you. And hate you.  ;)

Edited by NumberSix, 01 August 2020 - 16:17.

#7 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 16:16

My one and only. 

fpn_1591654457__crest.jpg

Dat Triumph nib, tho. . .

#8 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 17:11

And hence my comment in the Parker thread about your magic bargain-finding powers.

So what if you pay $50 to get it fixed up? That's approx $70 (counting shipping) for a working Snorkel. I just paid $150 to Peyton for a snorkel and pencil set - and was happy to do it. 

Ruth gets around....LOL!!!!! :thumbup:

#9 Parker Quink Turquoise

Parker Quink Turquoise

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 20:05

Recently bought a Canadian manufactured  Sheaffer Snorkel all Periwinkle Blue pen, from one of the posters here.

Still looking for an all Peacock Blue Snorkel Canadian made pen,if any one happens to have one they wish to part with.:).

#10 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 00:22

:lol:

Mind you, it wasn't anything fancy.  It was the bottom tier Snorkel (a Special) -- so, not a Triumph nib (or even a gold nib).  And it was black, not one of the fancy exotic colors like Periwinkle or Fiesta Red.  Somehow I don't think I'll ever get THAT lucky.  And it does sort of make up for the desk pen I bought a couple of years ago that turned out to be frankenpen stuck in some random ugly base with a duck on it.  I gave the pen (part Snorkel, part Touchdown) to Ron Zorn for parts.  I couldn't even give the base away, so I stuck it in a silent auction a year ago January, and then made sure I wasn't the last person to pay for the stuff I'd won -- I was too afraid of getting it back!  :o  That was something I was really GLAD I didn't pay a lot for....  :huh: 

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#11 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• 1,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 01:25

A 1936-7 Balance Premier, restored courtesy of Gerry Berg. Haven't had the urge to consider anything else since I first inked this up :)

fpn_1592191789__os-balance.jpg

What a pen!

(Kinda jealous... :P )

How durable are Sheaffer Balances? Can the pen be safely clipped onto a shirt/ jacket pocket without any fear of stress hairlines/cracks on the cap?

#12 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• 803 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 02:57

What a pen!

(Kinda jealous... :P )

How durable are Sheaffer Balances? Can the pen be safely clipped onto a shirt/ jacket pocket without any fear of stress hairlines/cracks on the cap?

I occassionally clip this into my suit breast pocket: it feels very robust. I'd probably be more cautious with one of the celluloid models, though...

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#13 shalitha33

shalitha33

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 07:47

One of the latest sheaffers for me is a vintage non-white dot sheaffer lady? I also have the white dot version of the same pen form some time back. White dot version seem to have what looks to be  rubbed out turn hand imprint. This one doesn't,

fpn_1596354170__img_20200802_193850.jpg

#14 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• 1,309 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 13:14

I occassionally clip this into my suit breast pocket: it feels very robust. I'd probably be more cautious with one of the celluloid models, though...

Makes sense. I have heard that the black Balances tend to crack less often than the colored ones.

#15 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:21

From an estate sale for eighty cents, an old green Snorkel set.  Needs restoration, but in nice shape and Snorkel mechanism works.  I'll see if I can avoid ruining it.

fpn_1596896786__image.jpeg

Edited by pajaro, 08 August 2020 - 22:36.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#16 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,100 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:56

From an estate sale for eighty cents, an old green Snorkel set.  Needs restoration, but in nice shape and Snorkel mechanism works.  I'll see if I can avoid ruining it.

eighty cents!!! good finding.

#17 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,822 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2020 - 16:27

+1 to what jchch 1950 said.  I'd say that makes you "Sumgai of the Week" -- especially having just read the thread about you winning the red Estie set on the Bay of Evil.

#18 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,135 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2020 - 16:54

As Zig Ziglar used to say, "you win some, you loose some, and some get rained out". 

#19 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 13,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 August 2020 - 22:41

eighty cents!!! good finding.

+1 to what jchch 1950 said.  I'd say that makes you "Sumgai of the Week" -- especially having just read the thread about you winning the red Estie set on the Bay of Evil.

As Zig Ziglar used to say, "you win some, you loose some, and some get rained out". 

Thanks.  I now believe in estate sale finds

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#20 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 August 2020 - 20:48

I received the two vintage Sheaffers I ordered, a Snorkel and a Targa (I guess the Targa isn't "vintage"). They wrote beautifully -- both mediums. 

However, I did not like how fragile the nibs felt, especially on the Targa. In both pens, I kept feeling like I was going to bend them or even break them. And I am not a hard writer. 

So I hated to do it, but I decided to send them back. They were too expensive to instantly become pens I never use.  :(

I guess I have been spoiled by those bulletproof Parker hooded nibs. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: npd, vpd, vintage, new pen

Sponsored Content

|