Removing Broken-Off Ringtop Screw From Ebonite Cap

Paul-in-SF

Coming to the well yet again for your help.

fpn_1596224455__full_pen.jpg

fpn_1596224470__cap_end.jpg

I have a lovely Wahl-Eversharp ringtop pen, in beautiful condition, but with the ring top missing. Ah, but it came as a set with a pencil, and I can take the ring top off of that. Oh, the pen cap has the broken-off threaded screw piece from the missing ring top still embedded into its place where the new ring top wants to go.

Any suggestions for how to remove the old screw end so I can install the new ring top? It is brass, right? So on the softer side of metals, but I have no idea how fragile the surrounding ebonite material might be. I'm afraid of anything but the most delicate of procedures.

I could, of course, cut the threaded part off the new ring top, and then glue it firmly and forever in place. I would rather not do that except as a very last resort. I ask myself, what would TJ do*, and that ain't it.

*I've been watching videos of Thomas Johnson Antique Furniture Restoration, and have begun to absorb some of his philosophy and work ethic.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul-in-SF

• Addertooth

• Ron Z

• FarmBoy

You're going to have to drill out the broken off stud. It's too small for any screw extractor. The problem is that whatever the screw material is, it's harder than the ebonite. I would not try to remove it without a lathe. The screw size is pretty small, maybe 2-56? Trying to hold a drill free hand, getting keeping the drill bit centered on a broken screw would be next to impossible. A lathe at least holds things lined up, and you can start with a small center drill, and use the necessary size number drill to get the remains out. Even if you end up oversize, with the lathe and right materials, it could be fixed to take a new ring attachment.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

You're going to have to drill out the broken off stud. It's too small for any screw extractor. The problem is that whatever the screw material is, it's harder than the ebonite. I would not try to remove it without a lathe. The screw size is pretty small, maybe 2-56? Trying to hold a drill free hand, getting keeping the drill bit centered on a broken screw would be next to impossible. A lathe at least holds things lined up, and you can start with a small center drill, and use the necessary size number drill to get the remains out. Even if you end up oversize, with the lathe and right materials, it could be fixed to take a new ring attachment.

Drilling it out is pretty much what I thought. I wonder if it would do any good to pack the inside with something to support the ebonite? Probably not, there's some kind of inner cap. Thanks for the advice.

• 1 month later...

Contrary to advice, I (finally) did drill it out without a lathe. The screw on the new ring was about 2.12 mm, and I have a bit that is 1.96 mm (5/64"). With my variable speed hand drill I took it slow and easy to get through the metal of the old screw and stopped when I reached ebonite (the old screw, being probably brass, seemed fairly soft). I have confirmed that I did not drill through the inner cap. The new ring top screwed in nicely and it feels solid. I am chuffed.

I know I was probably lucky, and I don't by any means recommend for anyone to disregard expert advice. And I certainly wouldn't have done it with someone else's pen. I'm calling it a calculated risk.

This is a beautiful little pen, and I will be writing with it tomorrow, as soon as I can decide what ink to put into it.

Could you please post a zoomed in photo of the ring as it is installed? I mean really zoomed in, and, was it gold plated?

Could you please post a zoomed in photo of the ring as it is installed? I mean really zoomed in, and, was it gold plated?

Here you go. It certainly appears gold something, and since Wahl-Eversharp pens typically had gold-filled furniture, I'm assuming that's what this is, but I can't tell by looking, and there is no hallmark of any kind.

fpn_1601740310__ring_top.jpg

Thank You for the Photo!

Now can I ask why you wanted to see it at this size? Was it for reference?

I have another pen where I had to buy a new ring top and it wasn't original (of course) and I'm pretty sure it was smaller than the original (based on the impression of the base plate that was left on the cap). My only evidence for the validity of this ring top is that it came on the matching pencil in the set. Said pencil is now sadly ringless and so will probably and eventually be sold in a lot of similar orphan pencils.

Late to this party but this is why they make left handed drill bits. As you drill torque wants to unscrew the broken shaft out.

Edited by FarmBoy

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Late to this party but this is why they make left handed drill bits. As you drill torque wants to unscrew the broken shaft out.

Hmm, that's the first I've heard of such a thing. Is that different from a screw extractor? Do they come small enough for this? Ron Z seemed to think not. Anyway, I would be very surprised if it comes up again for me, but if it does I'll try to remember.

Paul-in-SF,

I have a similar pen. and I wanted to have a good picture of it, should I choose to fabricate one.

I could send you some measurements, if that would help. The ring itself is a little taller than it looks in the photo, since it wasn't standing up straight. Anyway, good luck with the fabrication if you decide to do it.