Waterman's Patrician Purple

IThinkIHaveAProblem

I knew Quebec was but not New Brunswick so thanks for that information. Always good to build knowledge. :)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• I-am-not-really-here

• inkstainedruth

• Intensity

I grew up in Ontario, while officially only New Brunswick is Bilingual at a provincial level, All of Canada is at a federal level, and for all intents and purposes, most provinces (especially Ontario) that are not "officially" bilingual, you will likely still be able to get provincial gov. services in french if you request it.

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

There are other places besides those two provinces. I had an interesting discussion a few years ago with a friend who is from Ontario about when the Meach Lake Accords fell apart (they were having them while my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Nova Scotia, and then fell apart while we were in Edmonton, Alberta a few years later. At the time a lot of places like Alberta and Manitoba were going "Yeah, we have native languages and they need to be on signs too! Oh, they're not written languages? That's the government's problem!" (mostly I think they did it to poke at Quebec; there were also a lot of ads on TV in Edmonton going "Buy now before GAT starts!" because Alberta didn't have a provincial sales tax at the time). My friend said that somewhere out in that part of Canada (she told me but I forget where) there is a French speaking community, and when asked, they were appararently ALSO thumbing their nose at Quebec....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Because Canada's Second largest province by population (Quebec, which is where Montreal is) is 77% french first language.

It was probably an even higher % back in the day.

New Brunswick is 31.6% French first language

I grew up in a city where something like 45% of the population spoke french.

French is one of the two official languages of Canada.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_language_in_Canada#Quebec

If it's from the 50s that's before theLanguages Act. Hence everything en Anglais, svp ;)

Edited by yazeh

There are other places besides those two provinces. I had an interesting discussion a few years ago with a friend who is from Ontario about when the Meach Lake Accords fell apart (they were having them while my husband and I were on our honeymoon in Nova Scotia, and then fell apart while we were in Edmonton, Alberta a few years later. At the time a lot of places like Alberta and Manitoba were going "Yeah, we have native languages and they need to be on signs too! Oh, they're not written languages? That's the government's problem!" (mostly I think they did it to poke at Quebec; there were also a lot of ads on TV in Edmonton going "Buy now before GAT starts!" because Alberta didn't have a provincial sales tax at the time). My friend said that somewhere out in that part of Canada (she told me but I forget where) there is a French speaking community, and when asked, they were appararently ALSO thumbing their nose at Quebec....

Ruth, I'm from Ontario, LOTS of french in northern Ontario. and lots around the National Capital Region (Ottawa et al.)

and frankly, EVERYONE makes fun of Quebec's need to be a "distinct society"... as if somehow every town in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Nunavut etc, isn't ALSO distinct from their neighbours! Look, I'll admit it, for a long time (until the quiet revolution or so, in the 50s-60s) the rest of Canada kinda screwed over Quebec... but that's over now, and some people (not most, just some) CAN'T let it go and MOVE ON

Ill stop there before this becomes a political thread :P

If it's from the 50s that's before the language acts. Hence everything en Anglais, svp ;)

yes, before the language act, but still, i have other old products (old bottle of waterman's BB) that is bilingual (old enough that it's 32oz are in oz, and not ml...)

Just to add some fun, I should be receiving, next week I think, WPP that was manufactured in England.

oh, and a sad side note, the J Herbin Cartridge Rollerball loaded with WPP is hopelessly clogged after leaving it lying sideways for three days.

1) cool

2) not cool! clogged with a WATERMAN ink!? ... glad i didn't buy a j herbin rollerball... (i've looked at them several times!)

have you tried a water/ammonia solution soak? that should get the ball loose.

2) Flushed with an ear bulb and sitting now in pen flush for overnight. The ball is moving I think, and it might be that the feed got clogged. Another JH Cartridge RB loaded with Lierre Sauvage is rolling right along (pun intended) also after sitting horizontal for 3-4 days. Is it the ink or that the ink was vintage or that it was off-brand or some combination that resulted in a non-working pen. Unknown. I would not draw conclusions from a sample size of one.

I wonder if saturation suffers with advanced age of these inks. I have a vintage Waterman Blue Black, and it's also not particularly saturated, needs a wet pen. Not as faded looking as this purple, but still suspiciously thin.

(https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348406-watermans-permanent-blue-black-vintage-ink-mini-review/)

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I have two vintage BBs,

i have a 32oz bottle (of which about half remains) and a bottle and box the same as yours.

The one like yours is IMO newer

And the one like yours is much blue than the larger, older bottle which is more greyed out.

My bottle like yours as i recall (it's been a while since i have used the ink) was similar to yours, possibly very slightly more saturated.

I wonder if saturation suffers with advanced age of these inks. I have a vintage Waterman Blue Black, and it's also not particularly saturated, needs a wet pen. Not as faded looking as this purple, but still suspiciously thin.

(https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348406-watermans-permanent-blue-black-vintage-ink-mini-review/)

That's entirely possible. I had a bottle of either vintage Skrip Permanent Royal Blue or vintage Skrip Permanent Blue Black, and the ink was very blah and dull looking. But the bottle I got a few weeks ago of Permanent Royal Blue? It's a much more vibrant color, and I've been running it in one of the Snorkels.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."