Pelikan M605 Stresemann At Amazon--A Warning

stephenchin

I had expected the pen to ship in a gift box, which I needed--not a badly crushed dealer cardboard sleeve. It does appear that the pen received quite a rough ride over, albeit with no visible damage. Given the uncertainty of getting it back to Amazon UK within a month, given current shipping realities, it will likely end up having to stay with me.

Thank you all for your insights. It's really helpful to know about international shipping challenges, US to UK and Europe at present. And your experiences with Amazon UK returns.

Can't you simply obtain a gift box separately? Part of the discount on these pens is not including the gift box.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• stephenchin

• Intensity

• A Smug Dill

• sansenri

Good news?

Price was $224 +11+ in shipping.

I take it you were talking about this (still current) listing?

fpn_1596603385__amazon_uk_pelikan_m605_l

Delivery (from Germany via Poland to California)--an astonishing 4 days!

Bad news?

The pen was not shipped in the normal pelikan box but in a cardboard sleeve--which was placed in a thin, unpadded cardboard envelope (like the USPS priority mail flat rate ones).

I had expected the pen to ship in a gift box,

How come, in spite of three separate mentions — including in the listing title — indicating otherwise?

which I needed

So why did you choose to make the purchase in the first place, if the item as listed/described stood no chance of satisfying your need, no matter how cheap the price is?

--not a badly crushed dealer cardboard sleeve. It does appear that the pen received quite a rough ride over, albeit with no visible damage. Given the uncertainty of getting it back to Amazon UK within a month, given current shipping realities, it will likely end up having to stay with me.

I hope Amazon sends you a pristine replacement folding box, flattened and protected in a stiff cardboard envelope.

Can't you simply obtain a gift box separately?

I suppose that would kill the sense/satisfaction of scoring a bargain in the first place.

Part of the discount on these pens is not including the gift box.

I agree.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

That is exactly how my Pelikan 805 came from Amazon UK - without any damage.

Mohammad Salahuddin Ayubi

This assumes the listing was not updated since the original commenter made their purchase. It’s entirely plausible that Amazon updated the listing specifically because of complaints and issues.

How come, in spite of three separate mentions — including in the listing title — indicating otherwise?

So why did you choose to make the purchase in the first place, if the item as listed/described stood no chance of satisfying your need, no matter how cheap the price is?

This assumes the listing was not updated since the original commenter made their purchase. It’s entirely plausible that Amazon updated the listing specifically because of complaints and issues.

Amazon Global has listed Pelikan pens this way for a long time., If you check you will find people have been moaning for the same time.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I'll leave it to the O.P. to make that claim, should that be the case.

There's a difference between warning fellow hobbyists and prospective buyers of fraudulent or inaccurate listings, and warning them not to overlook essential information as stated, especially if one has a particular "need" or critical requirement to meet by a purchase. That said, in both cases it's still about sharing an important lesson learnt by oneself the hard way, so that one's fellows don't have to experience the same pain; but let's be clear and unambiguous about what the lesson is, and not miscast blame for the apparent communication breakdown.

Obviously, @Intensity's contribution to the thread was far more constructive than mine. It's up to the O.P. now to scramble and spend more money to acquire a gift box separately, if his "need" for it persists and is yet unfulfilled, even if that makes it a damage-control exercise, and kills the perceived win from the original order of the pen at a "good news" price. The O.P. is now in a no-win situation, irrespective of whether he painted himself into that corner; I don't like his chances for getting any (subjectively) satisfactory recourse.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

My experience. I have ordered over 15 Pelikan Souverans (most on all european amazon platforms), many of which to make birthday gifts to friends.

M400. m600, m805, m1000, m1005.

All, except the two last ones came in a semi-crushed soft cardboard box. All the pens were in perfect new condition.

A few M805 had flawed scratchy nibs or starved feeder, twisted pyjama barrel.

Isn't them back for a full refund.

I think Pelikan has had quality control issues for that specific model.

Mr Masuyama took care of those i kept and they have been transfigured.

At the moment the M605 B is sold 207€ inc. vat on amazon.de, that is 206$ tax free. I is difficult to be petty.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348487-frustration-at-current-pelikan-nibs/page-1

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/349432-pelikan-m815-help/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/348366-pelikans-for-cheap-on-amazon/

Edited by nibtip

Amazon does refund purchases with poor shipping that cause "damage". I purchased two books from Amazon, $50 and $120, respectively. The books were sold as New. The seller only used the cheap vanilla padded envelope. When I opened the packages, the books were dirty (covers) and dents along the corners. I normally wouldn't mind, if the book was used. But for a new book? No. Im rough with my books as is. Some are missing a spine, due to constant rereading over the years, and daily carry. Moreover, some of my used books purchased as used, were in better condition than the New books I purchased.

I sent Amazon an image, and they offered a partial refund or replacement. I opted for the partial refund, and received $40 back.

Amazon does refund purchases with poor shipping that cause "damage". I purchased two books from Amazon, $50 and $120, respectively. The books were sold as New. The seller only used the cheap vanilla padded envelope. When I opened the packages, the books were dirty (covers) and dents along the corners. I normally wouldn't mind, if the book was used. But for a new book? No. Im rough with my books as is. Some are missing a spine, due to constant rereading over the years, and daily carry. Moreover, some of my used books purchased as used, were in better condition than the New books I purchased.

I sent Amazon an image, and they offered a partial refund or replacement. I opted for the partial refund, and received $40 back.

In your case the product you ordered was damaged itself. In the OP's case, the product was not damaged, only the outer container box was.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

In your case the product you ordered was damaged itself. In the OP's case, the product was not damaged, only the outer container box was.

Exactly. So I don't see how a crushed boxed makes any difference, unless the pen was ruined? Its not like the Pelikan Gift Boxes are anything marvelous. I would understand if it was a box like the one Sailor uses for there Koshu Inden pens. Moreover, he received the pen $100 off the average price from over sea sellers.

I just wanted to point out, for any other reader who is hesitant on buying pens from Amazon, that Amazon does full refund for goods damaged due to poor packaging.

To OP, if you need a box. I would gladly send you one for free, including the white envelope, in the first week of October. I am not home at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

That's very kind of you Tito. And would be much appreciated.

To A Smug Dill, I do read listings carefully and I believe it was different" I believe that the listing that I purchased noted that the item came in a gift box--not a cardboard sleeve.

But it does call out concerns that Amazon does change listings or even mislist items.

I have experienced this very occasionally with different editions of bluray disks, wherein the date (or even the number of disks) in the edition are mislisted on Amazon. And with a few imported popular items, I've had the item shipped be from a later manufacturing run with substantial changes, even though the picture posted remains the same.

These are uncommon issues, and I'm happy Amazon has updated their listing to be more clear. What I wanted to share here was more the inadequate packing and the unsatisfactory return shipping requirements.

Even had the pen been completely destroyed due to Amazon inadequate packing, it will would have cost me more than $50 to return ship with USPS Priority Mail international tracked, as Amazon requested. Which falls on the buyer, not Amazon.

Amazon certainly didn't indicate that in it's listing. And it's quite different from their US return policies for damaged items.

If everyone is already aware of this, then my posting was unnecessary. Hopefully helpful to some.

Edited by stephenchin

BTW, I have also started to take screenshots of the Amazon product page when I think there's a chance of such a mislisting. I'm not sure that this will guaranty a refund of return shipping costs from Amazon, but at least it will help you show their customer service reps what happened.

I take it you were talking about this (still current) listing?

fpn_1596603385__amazon_uk_pelikan_m605_l

I hope Amazon sends you a pristine replacement folding box, flattened and protected in a stiff cardboard envelope.

I suppose that would kill the sense/satisfaction of scoring a bargain in the first place.

I agree.

That is exactly what I was describing (the wording in Italian is different but means the same thing as "folding box").

It is something to know, and to consider.

I consider the offered prices interesting, and the gift box is no use to me.

I have purchased more than one Pelikan in the folding boxes with satisfaction.

Still, I think Amazon could do a little better here. The folding box itself is no issue to me,

but when it comes in like this?

fpn_1597702540__pelikan_box.jpg

So you would return the pen just because of that small box defect? It seems like it's mostly the bend along the tip that's the problem, no rips. Still we're talking about a very basic box here... It's true, it'd be best if it came in perfect condition. But still.

Edited by Intensity

BTW, I have also started to take screenshots of the Amazon product page when I think there's a chance of such a mislisting.

I've always done so immediately before and after placing the order; the "after" shot will show something along the lines of, "You last purchased this item on 17 Aug 2020." above the product name and image, and together the images will establish what I was advised I was buying and what I reasonably believe I bought.

I'm not sure that this will guaranty a refund of return shipping costs from Amazon, but at least it will help you show their customer service reps what happened.

To A Smug Dill, I do read listings carefully and I believe it was different" I believe that the listing that I purchased noted that the item came in a gift box--not a cardboard sleeve.

But it does call out concerns that Amazon does change listings or even mislist items.

In my experience, Amazon is very slow to update inaccuracies in its product listings, even when it has been directly questioned and/or informed by the customer, and even when its inaction has been shown to cost it money (in compensation/refund to customers).

Case in point: Amazon listed, in November 2018, the Pilot Namiki Falcon as being shipped with a CON-50 converter. I questioned it in Live Chat with a customer service representative, who maintained that the listing was accurate, even though I knew it's most likely (very) out of date; Pilot has discontinued the CON-50 years ago, and new pens are shipped with CON-40 (or, for some models, CON-70) converters. So, armed with the chat transcript and screenshot of the product listing, I placed the order. Of course the pen I received did not come with a CON-50 converter. When I complained, I was offered a significant partial refund to keep the pen instead of shipping it back at Amazon's expense; and I was told the relevant product team at Amazon would be informed about the problem. Five months later, I ordered another one of those pens, which was still being listed as being shipped with a CON-50 converter. Again, I questioned a customer service rep beforehand, and pointed out that it was incorrect and Amazon had to give me compensation five months ago; I even gave him/her the order number as reference. I was told that the product listing was correct; and once again, I received a pen that did not come with a CON-50 converter, so yet again Amazon had to compensate me. (The second time, Amazon US had a CON-50 converter listed as a standalone item for A$52.44(!!), and so the customer service rep told me to order it with expedited international shipping, then refunded that entire new order.)

I didn't keep an eye out any further to see when the listing was eventually updated.

Was the pen ordered directly from Amazon, "fulfilled by Amazon", or from a 3rd party vendor? I find that it makes a tremendous amount of difference.

As for pens, unless it was something Amazon itself were carrying, I'd be leery. And maybe even then (because I had a problem with a couple of CDs I ordered directly from Amazon, but which they hired a third party delivery service. Spent half the afternoon on the phone with Customer Support going "Where is my package? You know, I could have driven across the river to where Amazon's local warehouse is -- I've been past it and know exactly where it is!" (Apparently the moron 3rd party driver didn't have GPS so he couldn't find my street, and was at the OTHER END of the main road I live off of).

I don't think I'd be brave enough to order something as expensive as a fountain pen through them -- I'll stick to books and CDs and DVDs (and even then, I'd be reading the feedback over the seller VERY CAREFULLY if it wasn't directly from Amazon).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I was planning to get one and amazon was one of the short-listed market place where i was prospecting...

Thank fully i read your post

Without an original Pelikan box it is a certain no no.... and i am also worried if the pen came out fine in terms of all working aspects ....

happy to have helped/informed someone. that was the intent of the post.

I'm glad A Smug Dill had good experiences with Amazon CS, but I think it's a bit dangerous and time-consuming purchasing likely-mislisted items from ebay. I'd rather have accurate listings; hopefully Amazon will get better at updating incorrect ones.

And for further reference, my box was much more crushed than sansenri's.

In fact I did not return the pen. I checked it and it was OK, so I kept it.

Had it been affected in any way I would have returned it. In my case return shipment is free.

Again, my point is that I don't mind the small cardboard box, in fact the gift box is a concern, as I don't know where to put them any more...

But certainly I would like Amazon to protect my item better. Sometimes Amazon sends me huge boxes with tons of padding paper for items that are much smaller that the box, and don't need all that protection...

And then sends me a 300 euro pen in a flimsy cardboard envelope...