Ideas To Explore Various Nib Types In Indian Pens..

Savit

I never used flex, broad, BB, stub, oblique or italic nibs in any pens so far. And I want to try out.

I want to select a pen model that is relatively inexpensive that will fit these nib types.

I will keep my options restricted to nib manufacturers in India or nibs that are available for purchase in India.

Just to clear my confusion around nib size, and nib width - I understand that the size (with numbers like #5, #6) refers to the dimensions of the nib. And if I understand correctly there is no uniform size comparison and it varies between pens. Correct me if I am wrong.

The only comprehensive nib catalogue that I got hold of was from Kanwrite. If we look at Kanwrite nib catalogue, the stub, italic and oblique options are available only for large (#35) nibs. Is it the case that smaller nibs (#4, #5) do not come with stub/oblique/italic options for width? Is it the case with all nib manufacturers?

If anybody has a catalogue that visually shows different Indian nibs, please share with me.

It seems like there are 2 options to explore different nibs:

1. Get a fountain pen that can fit # 35 size nib. Fit and try each nib one at a time. When wanting to write with a different type of nib, change the nib. The problem is that each time I will be changing the nib and I am not very confident whether I will fit them correctly etc.
  2. Get multiple fountain pens that are pre-fitted with each type of nib that I want to explore (eg. B, BB, sharp stub, oblique etc). If nibs are pre-fitted they can be tested beforehand and it is easier for me to deal with. But, it comes at the disadvantage of having to buy multiple fountain pens just for the sake of exploring nibs.

Is it a good idea to buy relatively inexpensive pens (eg. Camlin 36 or Camlin Elegante or Click Aristocrat) and fit the different nib types from Kanwrite in separate pens to try them out?

Thanks in advance..

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Savit

• hari317

• bk123

• Dimy

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Fountain Pen Revolution (FPR) Himalaya pens are manufactured in India, and they can be fitted with interchangeable Flex, Broad and Stub nibs.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

The only Indian nib manufacturer entertaining retail customers is Kanpur writers ( kanwrite). They offer some limited variety in Indian size 8 ( nib used in WALITY 69TL). Their widest range is in 35mm size ( international no 6).

So try to find Indian pens that accept 35 mm nibs to switch nibs and play around. Else Kanwrite themselves sell pens also.

You can fit 35mm nibs in WALITY 71JT and 71J. These might be economical. I dont know the nib size used on the aristocrat. I have ordered one. It is yet to arrive.

Elegante uses a no 5.5 Indian nib.

No 36 never used it.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by hari317

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Unfortunately, you won't find different types of Nib by Indian manufacturers available for retail sale. If you want to try different types, then I guess your best option is buy any cheap calligraphy pen set. I had one good set from Ambitious pens (Delhi). Ambitious is one of the oldest fountain pen nib manufacturer. But, it is almost impossible now to get any nib in retail from them.

"It's simple to be happy but difficult to be simple"

The only Indian nib manufacturer entertaining retail customers is Kanpur writers ( kanwrite). They offer some limited variety in Indian size 8 ( nib used in WALITY 69TL). Their widest range is in 35mm size ( international no 6).

So try to find Indian pens that accept 35 mm nibs to switch nibs and play around. Else Kanwrite themselves sell pens also.

You can fit 35mm nibs in WALITY 71JT and 71J. These might be economical. I dont know the nib size used on the aristocrat. I have ordered one. It is yet to arrive.

Elegante uses a no 5.5 Indian nib.

No 36 never used it.

Hope this helps you.

Thanks for this information, Hari.

I confirmed with Mr. Subramaniam (ASA) that Click Aristocrat uses #35 nib.

Kanwrite has stub nibs for #5.5 size. And italic & oblique in size #35. So between Camlin Elegante and Click Aristocrat I will be able to explore these nibs. For flex nib pen I plan to get an inexpensive Kanwrite pen (model #Blaze) pre-fitted with flex nib.

Thanks for this information, Hari.

I confirmed with Mr. Subramaniam (ASA) that Click Aristocrat uses #35 nib.

Kanwrite has stub nibs for #5.5 size. And italic & oblique in size #35. So between Camlin Elegante and Click Aristocrat I will be able to explore these nibs. For flex nib pen I plan to get an inexpensive Kanwrite pen (model #Blaze) pre-fitted with flex nib.

I just consulted their price list. There is just a 10rs price difference between no 5.5 and no 35 in regular stub. I would suggest you go for all nibs in no 35size only. Its a more versatile nib size fitting a large variety of Indian pens today.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Unfortunately, you won't find different types of Nib by Indian manufacturers available for retail sale. If you want to try different types, then I guess your best option is buy any cheap calligraphy pen set. I had one good set from Ambitious pens (Delhi). Ambitious is one of the oldest fountain pen nib manufacturer. But, it is almost impossible now to get any nib in retail from them.

Thank you for this info, bk.

Where can I get ambitious pens now a days?

Calligraphy pen set is a good idea for stub nib.

I just consulted their price list. There is just a 10rs price difference between no 5.5 and no 35 in regular stub. I would suggest you go for all nibs in no 35size only. Its a more versatile nib size fitting a large variety of Indian pens today.

Great !

Thank you !

See typical calligraphy pen sets have sharp nibs for good line edge definition. Italic nibs. They are also untipped. For daily use without the disciplined writing of calligraphy a tipped nib with rounded edges is better. A stub is exactly that.

Their nibs are top class.

See typical calligraphy pen sets have sharp nibs for good line edge definition. Italic nibs. They are also untipped. For daily use without the disciplined writing of calligraphy a tipped nib with rounded edges is better. A stub is exactly that.

I see..

I will try out the Parker Calligraphy set if I can't get Ambitious set..

I see..

I will try out the Parker Calligraphy set if I can't get Ambitious set..

most probably the Indian vector nibs are made by Ambitious only.

Interesting, indeed :)

yes, that is true. Not only Parker (Indian) they used to make nibs for international brands from Europe. I visited their manufacturing facility some nine or eight years back. The owner was kind enough to show me some of their unit.

Thank you for this info, bk.

Where can I get ambitious pens now a days?

Calligraphy pen set is a good idea for stub nib.

I don't think you will be able to find those sets easily.

If you are from Delhi, then you can get my Ambitious set free of cost :) . But, you have to collect it from my place. I do have one more calligraphy set unknown brand. You can have it as well.

You can also look for Sheaffer calligraphy set. If I'm not wrong it has one stub 1.2mm or 1.4mm.

It's easy to make a stub nib from medium tip or broad tip on your own. I did it for couple of my Sailor pens way back and enjoyed it very much. One of my Sailor stub made from medium tip is my favorite daily writer.

Edited by bk123

yes, that is true. Not only Parker (Indian) they used to make nibs for international brands from Europe. I visited their manufacturing facility some nine or eight years back. The owner was kind enough to show me some of their unit.

Yeah. Even in 14/18k gold. I am not allowed to talk about it else could show some pics. They are a good company.

I don't think you will be able to find those sets easily.

If you are from Delhi, then you can get my Ambitious set free of cost :) . But, you have to collect it from my place. I do have one more calligraphy set unknown brand. You can have it as well.

You can also look for Sheaffer calligraphy set. If I'm not wrong it has one stub 1.2mm or 1.4mm.

It's easy to make a stub nib from medium tip or broad tip on your own. I did it for couple of my Sailor pens way back and enjoyed it very much. One of my Sailor stub made from medium tip is my favorite daily writer.

Thank you :)

I use kanwrite desire with sets of different nibs (flex, EF and Medium for now). I find it cheaper this way plus general idea of what I might and might not like. As for ambitious nibs does someone know where to buy them, I would love to try them but they just are not available anywhere.......

Edit: I have seen some on sites like etsy and ebay from time to time authenticity is a question that bugs me, then is ambitious pens site which says pens and nibs are coming soon.....well that is a vague term for me...

Edited by Dimy

I use kanwrite desire with sets of different nibs (flex, EF and Medium for now). I find it cheaper this way plus general idea of what I might and might not like. As for ambitious nibs does someone know where to buy them, I would love to try them but they just are not available anywhere.......

Edit: I have seen some on sites like etsy and ebay from time to time authenticity is a question that bugs me, then is ambitious pens site which says pens and nibs are coming soon.....well that is a vague term for me...

I believe you will not be able to procure Ambitious nibs in retail. I suggest you to reach out to Mehandiratta,a fellow FPNer. He did a group order on Ambitious nibs few years back. I hope he will be able to spare some of it for you.

I believe you will not be able to procure Ambitious nibs in retail. I suggest you to reach out to Mehandiratta,a fellow FPNer. He did a group order on Ambitious nibs few years back. I hope he will be able to spare some of it for you.

Thanks you for information.