Is This Lamy Al-Star A Counterfeit?

acsc100

How do you like your Lamy? I skipped the "starter pens" and went straight for a Pelikan M200 Green Marble and Pelikan m600 Blue GT for my first fountain pens. The only other pens I have near the price point of the Lamy is a Kaweco Sport and two Esterbrook J's. These are excellent pens. I wanted to get the Pokemon Lamy but its $200. I may impulse buy it, but I still have a bit of common sense.

Are you happy with your purchase? What seller did you buy it for $18?

I have never had an Al-Star before, but the Lamy Safaris (essentially the same pen, but in plastic instead of aluminium) that I have are excellent. Highly recommend. I prefer them to my Kaweco Sport.

I bought the Al-Star for $16 on amazon from a storefront named shoppingfever. It seems they have a Blue Green Lamy Al-Star for the remarkable price of $12--so cheap, perhaps, because the picture for it is of an HDMI converter! But I imagine it's an Al-Star, and with free returns, there's no real risk. If you're interested, you can find the pen here.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Estycollector

• TitoThePencilPimp

• acsc100

• Olya

Real....In the matter of Lamy Al-Star.....Enjoy your new pen.....{ThumbsUpThingie}

Starter pen was a Parker "51" Vacumatic.....

Fred

Stay safe Stay well

My "starter" pen was a MB 149nI got in the early '90's . It didn't survive our house fire. It was more pocket jewelry than anything. Overall, the Al-Star is a better idea for my use.

I just thought it was unkind to come onto the Lamy forum and call someone's Safari a "starter" pen when they don't even own one.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

My "starter" pen was a MB 149nI got in the early '90's . It didn't survive our house fire. It was more pocket jewelry than anything. Overall, the Al-Star is a better idea for my use.

I just thought it was unkind to come onto the Lamy forum and call someone's Safari a "starter" pen when they don't even own one.

This is just ridiculous. Post so far demonstrates that you lack basic reading comprehension skills, extremely petty by nature, and stubborn. My use of the term "starter pen" was not offensive, even in the context in which I used it. Moreover, it is a common used phrase and it was used in the context of said accepted definition of the meaning. I even took time to clarify what I meant by it. Something that I did not have to do, but did so to uphold the good nature of this forum. Maybe a bit of googling is in order for you. Like I said, you could have asked me to explain what I meant in the thread, or sent me a personal message. But you keep taking little jabs at me, which is extremely innapropriate. Take a breather and use a bit of logic when responding to a post.

You want to know what's unkind? You behaving in a rude manner towards me...

I have never had an Al-Star before, but the Lamy Safaris (essentially the same pen, but in plastic instead of aluminium) that I have are excellent. Highly recommend. I prefer them to my Kaweco Sport.

I bought the Al-Star for $16 on amazon from a storefront named shoppingfever. It seems they have a Blue Green Lamy Al-Star for the remarkable price of $12--so cheap, perhaps, because the picture for it is of an HDMI converter! But I imagine it's an Al-Star, and with free returns, there's no real risk. If you're interested, you can find the pen here.

Thank you. I was not aware of the Al-Star. I am glad you like the Safari better than the Sport. The sport is one of my favorite pens. A member on these forums reached out to me will be sending a Safari in the upcoming months.

Edited by TitoThePencilPimp

Thank you. I was not aware of the Al-Star. I am glad you like the Safari better than the Sport. The sport is one of my favorite pens. A member on these forums reached out to me will be sending a Safari in the upcoming months.

Wonderful. I hope you enjoy it.

This is just ridiculous. Post so far demonstrates that you lack basic reading comprehension skills, extremely petty by nature, and stubborn. My use of the term "starter pen" was not offensive, even in the context in which I used it. Moreover, it is a common used phrase and it was used in the context of said accepted definition of the meaning. I even took time to clarify what I meant by it. Something that I did not have to do, but did so to uphold the good nature of this forum. Maybe a bit of googling is in order for you. Like I said, you could have asked me to explain what I meant in the thread, or sent me a personal message. But you keep taking little jabs at me, which is extremely innapropriate. Take a breather and use a bit of logic when responding to a post.

You want to know what's unkind? You behaving in a rude manner towards me...

There was no rational purpose for your post. The Lamy Safari is every bit of a pen as your Pelikan and I challenge you to prove otherwise. So, yes your post was unkind since it was unnecessaily suggesting that the Lamy was only something a novice would use or need.

Edited by Estycollector

There was no rational purpose for your post. The Lamy Safari is every bit of a pen as your Pelikan and I challenge you to prove otherwise. So, yes your post was unkind since it was unnecessaily suggesting that the Lamy was only something a novice would use or need.

You're misreading the whole "starter pen" thing.

No one claims that starter pens, or cheap pens, are inferior or of lower quality.

It is a common term used in stationery and a common term used in many other areas.

E.g. a "starter bra" is also a thing.

It is a term primarily coming from when kids learn to write with a pencil and once their handwriting is deemed good enough or the educational schedule calls for it, the kids "upgrade" to a proper pen, i.e. a fountain pen. In some cases there's a step amongst these pens, eg Lamy ABC fountain pen is followed by the Safari/Al-Star or the Pelikano Jr followed by the Pelikano.

The mxxx line is their "proper" pen line for older and more experienced users, but obviously if you want to skip straight to the m1000 you can or if you want to use a Pelikano all your life, you can, no one cares.

They (Pelikano/Safari et al) are, however, school pens, aimed at beginners. Hence, starter pen.

No one says they are inferior in any way, it is not derogatory, and they can be freely enjoyed and used by adults.

One's first pen may have been a €1000 pen, which doesn't make it a starter pen per se, but one's personal starter, sure.

Talk of starter pens has been all over this board for years, as well as in any other discussion forum aimed at stationery/fountain pens, eg the reddit sub, I don't know why this discussion has come up in this way now? And frankly I'm befuddled at the turn it's taken.

TitoThePencilPimp was simply having a chat and enquiring about acsc100's experience, using the proper terminology, nothing wrong with that and nothing at all condescending there in the post, which started this whole "starter pen" discussion.

Edited by Olya

You're misreading the whole "starter pen" thing.

No one claims that starter pens, or cheap pens, are inferior or of lower quality.

It is a common term used in stationery and a common term used in many other areas.

E.g. a "starter bra" is also a thing.

It is a term primarily coming from when kids learn to write with a pencil and once their handwriting is deemed good enough or the educational schedule calls for it, the kids "upgrade" to a proper pen, i.e. a fountain pen. In some cases there's a step amongst these pens, eg Lamy ABC fountain pen is followed by the Safari/Al-Star or the Pelikano Jr followed by the Pelikano.

The mxxx line is their "proper" pen line for older and more experienced users, but obviously if you want to skip straight to the m1000 you can or if you want to use a Pelikano all your life, you can, no one cares.

They (Pelikano/Safari et al) are, however, school pens, aimed at beginners. Hence, starter pen.

No one says they are inferior in any way, it is not derogatory, and they can be freely enjoyed and used by adults.

One's first pen may have been a €1000 pen, which doesn't make it a starter pen per se, but one's personal starter, sure.

Talk of starter pens has been all over this board for years, as well as in any other discussion forum aimed at stationery/fountain pens, eg the reddit sub, I don't know why this discussion has come up in this way now? And frankly I'm befuddled at the turn it's taken.

TitoThePencilPimp was simply having a chat and enquiring about acsc100's experience, using the proper terminology, nothing wrong with that and nothing at all condescending there in the post, which started this whole "starter pen" discussion.

I do appreciate your explaination. Had the member owned a Safari and was comparing it to a more expensive Lamy model after experiencing the Safari, I wouldn't have thought the comment to be unkind. However, even then, given the topic of asking about the authenticity of the Safari, posting about your decision not to go with the model being asked about is odd.