Which Ball / Gel Pen Comes Closest To Fountain Pen Experience?

Which ball pen or gel pen or roller-ball pen comes closest to fountain pen experience?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• flatline

• Savit

• EBUCKTHORN

• Estycollector

I haven't found any that did for me. Some roller balls that use converters and fountain pen ink seem to be the closest.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I do not know what 'experience' you are looking for however for what is worth I am seeing occasional shading while using a J Herbin cartridge rollerball with Lierre Sauvage ink.

if it is line width variation that is desired I would suggest a brush pen.

If you're talking about the no pressure feel of the nib against the paper, I've always found that porous tip pens like the Sharpie feel pretty similar to fountain pens.

If you're talking about the no pressure feel of the nib against the paper, I've always found that porous tip pens like the Sharpie feel pretty similar to fountain pens.

i second this...

... also, asian brush pens (but op only mentioned BP, roller or gel)

Parker and Montblanc rollerball refills or a Sharpie. These seem to require no pressure against the paper. The Parker rollerball refill in my Sonnet rollerball is wet.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I was about to say this one!

It writes nicely, but you can't refill it.

It's bad enough to be adding new plastic pens to the world. When they're not even refillable, that's doubly irresponsible because it becomes another single-use object. I suppose a case might be made for plastic body pens that are anticipated to have a long lifespan but, single use...no way! Some fountain pen ink-roller ball models use replaceable cartridges that can be refilled by syringe and reused, but is there any indication that's possible here?

It's bad enough to be adding new plastic pens to the world. When they're not even refillable, that's doubly irresponsible because it becomes another single-use object. I suppose a case might be made for plastic body pens that are anticipated to have a long lifespan but, single use...no way! Some fountain pen ink-roller ball models use replaceable cartridges that can be refilled by syringe and reused, but is there any indication that's possible here?

I wanted to mention that very point, too, but then didn't.

I don't own this pen, so can't speak too much in terms of longterm use, but I've tried it a number of times and love it. The reason I haven't bought it is exactly the fact that it isn't refillable (at least not to my knowledge), eg the Pilot V line is refillable as you can pull the tip and eyedropper it.

I also don't know whether the point stays or gets deformed over time. If it is deformed, that makes a replacement type harder to make, though ultimately no different than buying replacement ballpoints/gels. A cartridge refill like the Pilot V7(?) makes a deformed tip unlikely. (this bit isn't written well, I'm having a convo in another language concurrently, sorry for the mess but I think you get what I mean!)

Then there's the question how environmentally friendly are refills (eg uni 308) vs whole pens (eg uni air) really?

Edited by Olya

I wanted to mention that very point, too, but then didn't.

I don't own this pen, so can't speak too much in terms of longterm use, but I've tried it a number of times and love it. The reason I haven't bought it is exactly the fact that it isn't refillable (at least not to my knowledge), eg the Pilot V line is refillable as you can pull the tip and eyedropper it.

I also don't know whether the point stays or gets deformed over time. If it is deformed, that makes a replacement type harder to make, though ultimately no different than buying replacement ballpoints/gels. A cartridge refill like the Pilot V7(?) makes a deformed tip unlikely. (this bit isn't written well, I'm having a convo in another language concurrently, sorry for the mess but I think you get what I mean!)

Then there's the question how environmentally friendly are refills (eg uni 308) vs whole pens (eg uni air) really?

"Then there's the question how environmentally friendly are refills (eg uni 308) vs whole pens (eg uni air) really?"

Good point and that's why, if I am purchasing a ball point, I seek one with metal, not plastic refills. My understanding is that here in Central New York metal (including non-magnetic metals) can be picked (mechanically) from the waste stream whereas plastics cannot. I must caution that this information could be anecdotal or out-of-date and bears checking.

"Then there's the question how environmentally friendly are refills (eg uni 308) vs whole pens (eg uni air) really?"

I wonder about this occasionally. A refill often comes in about the same amount of packaging that the actual pen does. And the refill itself contains a fair amount of plastic in it.

I guess if you're really concerned about the ecological footprint of your writing instruments, the best strategy is not to purchase any at all and simply use what you find lying around...or use wooden pencils since they will eventually totally degrade.

Mechanical pencils and bottle or syringe fill fountain pens would seem to have the smallest footprint overall. Of course having only one of each would really be best but we all (myself included) seem to shy away from that radical concept!

I have an unlimited supply of 2mm lead for my lead holders since I live next to a school and often find wooden pencils on the ground outside my house. After being left outside in the moisture, the wood typically splits and I can remove the 2mm lead for use in my clutch pencils.

I also find a fair number of gel pens, often with cracked bodies, but perfectly fine refills that fit hosts I already own.

With access to these pens and pencils provided by the local high school students, my stash of cheap writing supplies grows much faster than my family and I can consume it. However, I do still occasionally spend money for something of higher quality for my own use.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been using the Pilot G-2 (10) for a few years now, just because of their convenience. The G-2 (10) is a gel pen with a 1mm ball. I'm not all that wild about them being disposable, but nowadays it's hard to find pens that aren't. I buy them in 5 packs from places like Walmart and Target. Not particularly cheap.

The G-2 (10) puts down a very wet line, plus it isn't slippery like most ball points. These two factors are enough to remind me of a decent modern fountain pen.

I still carry my favorite fp, a 1939 Canadian Vacumatic with broad stub nib, but it's nice to have one of these Pilots handy if the Vac runs dry or if somebody asks if they can borrow my pen.

Edited by cooltouch

Michael

...After being left outside in the moisture, the wood typically splits and I can remove the 2mm lead for use in my clutch pencils...

Thanks for this!

In answer to toe original question, Pentel's 1.0 'ENERGEL' is closest in action, ink flow, and writing comfort for me.

Thanks for this!

If you're interested in reclaiming the 2mm lead cores from wooden pencils, I wish you luck. I've read online that people use a candle to burn the wood off the core, but I've never tried it.

The pencils that I find outside have usually been rained on and then left for several days. The wood swells and I can usually find the seam to pop to two halves apart with a pocket knife. The lead will still be glued to one half and it can be tricky to get the lead out without breaking it.

Let me know if you find a way that works for you! My way is hit-or-miss.

--flatline

A youtube video said to leave it in a water bottle overnight. Then I gently used some pliers to apply pressure around the wood until a crack formed. Gently separating the crack down the length of the pencil, followed by gently pushing the wood away from the graphite, et voila. Did I say gently? I only tried it on one pencil and then spent the next day researching fancy lead holders... sigh.

I'll keep in mind that the next pencil might not be so easy. Thanks again!