The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Schmidt Interchangeability?

schmidt

21 replies to this topic

#21 Biber

Biber

...but that was another lifetime

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 24 July 2020 - 11:11

> aren't Schmidt nibs size 6 like Jowo and Bock?

Schmidt nibs are apparently made by Jowo and Bock - as so many other proprietary nibs too. I have no idea if the geometry is different or not.

Probably a matter of inconsistency and poor quality control. There's a lot of that when it comes to FP nibs. 

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

Sponsored Content

#22 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2020 - 21:12

> aren't Schmidt nibs size 6 like Jowo and Bock?

Schmidt nibs are apparently made by Jowo and Bock - as so many other proprietary nibs too. I have no idea if the geometry is different or not.

Now that you mention it I also seem to recall that Schmidt nibs are made by Jowo (by Bock I'm not sure) but at any rate, Hari's picture clearly shows that, whoever is the manufacturer, the Schmidt #6 nib is different from either a Jowo or Bock #6.
It's shorter certainly.

Size 6 just means that the circumference in which the nib curve can be inscribed, has a diameter of 6mm.

The rest of the geometry of the nib can differ and that may make swapping nibs unfeasible.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: schmidt

Sponsored Content

|