The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Arco Plastic Resin...

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 Newton Pens

Newton Pens

Pen Making Nib Grinding Nut

• Premium - Diamond

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,068 posts

Posted 23 July 2020 - 10:09

and here's the spaghetti acrylic-

http://www.sintetica...TTI.htm?lang=en

We Give Away Scholarships! - Support High School Students Going to College

Sponsored Content

#22 Uncial

Uncial

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,346 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 11:35

Jeepers, there are some seriously good acrylics on that site. The grey spaghetti looks awfully like the Montegrappa grey dove.

#23 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 21:06

the resins.  I was looking for the manufacturer, but I can't remember the name of them for the life of me.
I just found it - Sintetica in Italy.

At least that's who I think makes this new stuff.  They're who made all the Conway Stewart acrylics, and still do as far as I can tell.
They make gorgeous stuff, but I've never been able to get a reply from them.

edit:  Wow their website has improved!

http://sintetica-srl.it/

thank you Shawn, as usual very interesting insight from the pros... :)

#24 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,927 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2020 - 21:12

1. The Duetto/CS/Leonardo/Montegrappa stuff I've always know as stacked acrylic. Stipula called it Cellocride when they used it. I don't know if that's a brand name or some kind of portmanteau of acrylic and celluloid...like the Acryloid Visconti used on the Kaleidos. 

2. This new stuff is not Arco. It is seriously cool though! Sign me up!

yes, Stipula called it cellocride but I assume it was a brand name they gave to this acrylic material that looked very much like celluloid.

The material, if you look at some of the Duetto pens, is similarly stacked to get that effect, it's rather evident in my photo of the Cognac, in the cap.

I also own a rollerball Duetto (or I should say my daughter, as it was actually a present to my daughter when she graduated) in a similar red material with the inspiring name of Rosso di Montalcino.

#25 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,500 posts

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:31

the resins.  I was looking for the manufacturer, but I can't remember the name of them for the life of me.
I just found it - Sintetica in Italy.

At least that's who I think makes this new stuff.  They're who made all the Conway Stewart acrylics, and still do as far as I can tell.
They make gorgeous stuff, but I've never been able to get a reply from them.

edit:  Wow their website has improved!
http://sintetica-srl.it/

Conway Stewart (RIP) had the best acrylics in the business. Still, they were no match for Omas celluloids...
Too many pens; too little writing.

#26 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 08:52

True, modern CS did have many acrylics that resembled vintage celluloids, for example, with marbling effect and good depth. Omas celluloids are hard to challenge :-)

Conway Stewart (RIP) had the best acrylics in the business. Still, they were no match for Omas celluloids...

#27 bebox

bebox

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:27

Leonardo posted a picture of the cuspide in their Instagram stories:

116426837_282782989719065_62233343507250

I'm not really a fan...

Edited by bebox, 26 July 2020 - 10:27.

#28 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• 2,806 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 July 2020 - 16:15

Thanks for sharing the photo, bebox.

Think it looks quite handsome if you judge it on its own and don't compare it OMAS Arco material.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

#29 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2020 - 03:15

Cuspide is in 4 different colors, it is inspired to the Arco material and is really nice... but is not Arco. I saw the first 4 pens made with this material, it misses the brightness and the depth of the Arco celluloid.

Edited by francoiacc, 27 July 2020 - 03:16.

#30 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,500 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 11:53

Thanks for sharing the photo, bebox.

Think it looks quite handsome if you judge it on its own and don't compare it OMAS Arco material.

Agreed. The secret to being satisfied with it (and it really does look nice) is not comparing it to that storied material!

Too many pens; too little writing.

#31 dms525

dms525

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 July 2020 - 19:13

Cuspide is in 4 different colors, it is inspired to the Arco material and is really nice... but is not Arco. I saw the first 4 pens made with this material, it misses the brightness and the depth of the Arco celluloid.

It misses the aroma too, I imagine. I suppose a spray of camphor would do it. Like those spray cans of "New Car Smell." Not!

Did you get to touch any pens in this material? Do they feel different from other plastics?

David

#32 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,193 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 01:54

Here is, side by side to the Cuspide pen, Francesco's pen made at Leonardo in true Arco celluloid, in what seems to be the exact same model.

An interesting material, this Cuspide, mostly those in darker tones IMO, but obviously not Arco... 

fpn_1595901177__not_arco.jpg

#33 francoiacc

francoiacc

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 07:11

It misses the aroma too, I imagine. I suppose a spray of camphor would do it. Like those spray cans of "New Car Smell." Not!

Did you get to touch any pens in this material? Do they feel different from other plastics?

David

The feeling is exactly like any other good quality resin.

Concerning the aroma, you would be disappointed from modern celluloid as well, as it actually is cellulose acetate, a different material from the old celluloid and as such lost the typical camphor smell.
This is also the reason why vintage arco celluloid looks different from the modern.

Here is, side by side to the Cuspide pen, Francesco's pen made at Leonardo in true Arco celluloid, in what seems to be the exact same model.

An interesting material, this Cuspide, mostly those in darker tones IMO, but obviously not Arco... 

fpn_1595901177__not_arco.jpg

The Arco one is mine, and yes the cuspide is indeed really interesting.

Edited by francoiacc, 28 July 2020 - 07:11.

#34 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 989 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 08:33

francoiacc: Thank you for your comments above. It’s the first time that I heard that modern Arco was cellulose acetate, not cellulose nitrate. I think I have something to learn... I had associated cellulose acetate more to some British vintages and some modern Delta pens. Could experts here clarify please? Many thanks!!

#35 Seney724

Seney724

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 11:58

francoiacc: Thank you for your comments above. It’s the first time that I heard that modern Arco was cellulose acetate, not cellulose nitrate. I think I have something to learn... I had associated cellulose acetate more to some British vintages and some modern Delta pens. Could experts here clarify please? Many thanks!!

+1 !!

#36 Michael R.

Michael R.

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 16:47

Cellulose acetate und celluloid nitrate (celluloid) are different materials but share some basic chemical properties.

Arco (like it was used by Omas until the 2000s) is cellulose nitrate (celluloid). The same is true for all current pens using Arco stock. I have not seen a material similar to Arco made from cellulose acetate.

Cellulose acetate is used e.g. for the marbled or striated materials of Pelikan, Aurora, Sheaffer Crest Opalite and a few more.

Cheers

Michael

#37 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 17:13

I just saw the first announcement of the price for the Leonardo pens in the cuspide material. I thought it was a resin, but apparently it's made of some precious metal ... at least from the pricing.

#38 XYZZY

XYZZY

Vintage

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 18:11

I just saw the first announcement of the price for the Leonardo pens in the cuspide material. I thought it was a resin, but apparently it's made of some precious metal ... at least from the pricing.

Where do y'all find the Leonardo pen announcements?  Usually I find out about their new materials from the Leonardo Photo Thread, and by then David somebody has bought them all  :)

#39 fpupulin

fpupulin

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,193 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 18:49

The 4 Cuspides: Blue Sea, Mineral Grey, Olive Green, and Nocciola.

fpn_1595962063__cuspide2.jpg

fpn_1595962102__cuspide4.jpg

fpn_1595962036__cuspide1.jpg

Photos are from Pen Venture newsletter

#40 dms525

dms525

Antique

• 2,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2020 - 18:54

Where do y'all find the Leonardo pen announcements?  Usually I find out about their new materials from the Leonardo Photo Thread, and by then David somebody has bought them all  :)

Awww... c'mon. I left 99 MZG's in Primary Manipulation for you!

I saw the Cuspide announcement from Emy (Pen Venture) in an email. The prices are on penventure dot com. I just checked and Novelli is listing the Cuspide pens also. The prices are the same as what is asked for celluloid versions of the MZ Grande with 14Kt nib.

David

David

Sponsored Content

|