The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Anybody Here Write With *only* One Fountain Pen?

monogamy heartthrob single classification utility collection

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#41 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2020 - 00:14

Not me, but my brother:  He tried a number of pens until he got to a Lamy 2k with J. Herbin Perle Noir. 

He's happy now and uses only that pen and ink - for about 8 months now.

Sponsored Content

#42 g33klibrarian

g33klibrarian

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2020 - 16:19

I've been quickly headed this direction.  My rotation has been about a dozen pens, with a Parker 51 and Pelikan M200 leading the pack. A couple months ago I snagged a Kaweco Dia2 totally on an impulse— I loved the vintage look.  Since then, I've hardly put it down. I'll occasionally write with one of the other dozen for a special purpose (needing a different ink), but I keep going back to the Dia for day-to-day writing. It feels great in my hand and the smooth medium nib handles itself really well on nearly every paper. 

#43 Tas

Tas

Graphophile . . .

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,189 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 July 2020 - 16:32

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=FyU1a4c1Tdk

#44 basterma

basterma

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 July 2020 - 02:25

I use one pen at a time, for one fill of a convertor, piston, or cartridge, then use the next pen in my rotation.

#45 bizhe

bizhe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 23:52

I appreciate the sanity of this thread! Perhaps it should go under a new category:
"Fountain & Dip Pens - Last Stop"

#46 tommym

tommym

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 17:05

I am working my way back down to one fountain pen after all these years of collecting. Only two left. One I use daily, the other has been cleaned and permanently retired to a china cabinet.

Tommy

#47 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 21:02

I have too many for my own good, but the one that I use on a daily basis is a Kanwrite Desire with a flex nib.
The others I am beginning to part with. I've finally found the one I've been spending years looking for 😎

#48 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2020 - 00:32

Use only one pen?  You have to be kidding.

#49 MHBru

MHBru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2020 - 00:53

for about 15 years i only had one fountain pen... a Pelikan M800 ... then i found this place... and more inks... more pens to put them in... i now have about 12 inked (which is all of them) and just rotate through them daily.  Now that I am retired I suspect the lesser pens won't get inked as much but I do love most of mine and enjoy using them.  they all have different color inks in them.

#50 carola

carola

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 July 2020 - 01:13

Right now, I have about 40 fountain pens, including one I have used for more than the last 3 decades. Usually 3 of them are inked with contrasting colours. They get to write letters and are also taken to work (where my colleagues tend to pinch each and every ballpoint off my desk they manage to get their hands on, but leave my pens alone) until they have run out of ink. That´s when they get cleaned up and stored away and the next pen is chosen and inked.

I try to rotate all of them, but of course there are the beloved ones that get chosen more often than others...

Probably the last time I had/used only one pen was at about 10 years old, before I managed to save enough pocket money to buy different pens and inks. There seems to be a pattern... :huh:

#51 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,123 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 02:20

I just keep >120 pens inked, ...

Dill wins!

#52 max dog

max dog

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,620 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 August 2020 - 04:34

I always wanted a flex pen that was reliable, smooth, and practical enough to do all my normal writing chores as well as awesome flexing.  I thought that would be THE PEN that would  be the only one I ever use.  Been that way with the Montblanc 149 Calligraphy flex pen since I got it in February.  Only other pens I ink are my italics: Pelikan M200 Italic, Lamy Safari 1.1 italic, or TWSBI ECO 1.1 stub to provide some alternate color accentuation.  

#53 chravagni

chravagni

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 20:29

I have four pens inked now. A pelikan m205, a Lamy safari, a Schneider "Buffetti" and a Pelikano school pen. In the past I had ten/twelve inked pens at a time, but now I feel satisfied with those four. It is still far from one, but still a reduction of the number.

Edited because of typos.

Edited by chravagni, 01 August 2020 - 20:30.

#54 DanceOfLight

DanceOfLight

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 16:16

Dill wins!

:yikes: .... 120 inked ? OK  :notworthy1:  . I have maxed out at keeping and writing a dozen pens at a time. I tend to choose the next dirty dozen on a monthly basis for rotation.

#55 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 21:18

If I get to as many as a dozen inked up, it gets too overloaded for my brain.  Then I start the regimen of "nothing else inked up until I get at least 2 pens flushed out...."  

120 inked up?  I'd go catatonic.  I would not be able to keep that many inked up and not have them dry up.  God bless you Dill, if you can cope, but I surely couldn't.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#56 NumberSix

NumberSix

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 02:00

Confession sparked by the comments about having so many pens inked: Apart from the first time I filled my first Parker 45 using the squeeze converter, in which in my ignorance I barely added any ink at all, I have yet to write a pen dry. Not once, whether cartridge or other filling system. 

Even the month when I used only my Vac 51 for the entire month, I changed inks before the initial fill ended. Was I close to empty? Surely, after several weeks. But maybe not. 

I wonder how much ink I have flushed down the drain? I don't put it back in the bottle - though I will put it back into the sample vial if I liked that sample. 

#57 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2020 - 06:53

Confession sparked by the comments about having so many pens inked: Apart from the first time I filled my first Parker 45 using the squeeze converter, in which in my ignorance I barely added any ink at all, I have yet to write a pen dry. Not once, whether cartridge or other filling system. 

Even the month when I used only my Vac 51 for the entire month, I changed inks before the initial fill ended. Was I close to empty? Surely, after several weeks. But maybe not. 

I wonder how much ink I have flushed down the drain? I don't put it back in the bottle - though I will put it back into the sample vial if I liked that sample. 

When I first started out and for a while after I was the same way.  I rarely wrote a pen dry.

I went through so much ink as well.

I didn't start writing pens dry with the same ink until I found one I really liked.  That wasn't easy because I only use water resistant/permanent inks.

Honestly, I didn't find one I really liked until I ventured away from Noodler's inks and their lure for a bargain price lol.

Even basic inks like Pilot Black impressed me so much by how an ink can feel and surprised me with how much of an impact an ink can have on the writing experience.

#58 gammada

gammada

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2020 - 00:55

Got like 15 inked-up right now, but have found that the more pens I have, the less I tend to use them on an individual basis. So, I might need to purge the collection a little bit. Having one pen for at least a week, would be my best case-scenario.

#59 corniche

corniche

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 2,663 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:57

Hi all,

I usually write with only one pen; I find writing with more to be very cumbersome... that's not saying I haven't tried it numerous times. :D

- Sean ;)
https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

#60 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,609 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 August 2020 - 04:07

Sean, the O.P.'s chosen thread title does not preclude using a fountain pen in conjunction with some other type of pen.  :D  I'm sure there are a few fellow members who use a water brush pen in conjunction with a fountain pen for a given piece of work, as seen in many an artistic fountain ink review here from time to time.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: monogamy, heartthrob, single, classification, utility, collection

Sponsored Content

|