A Lifetime Of Noodler's

eharriett

As many of you know, a few months ago, Noodler's made an announcement that for a limited time they will be offering again large bottles of ink. I took it upon myself to secure a couple bottles of my two work inks: Noodlers Legal Lapis and Noodlers Air Corp Blue-Black. These inks are close (not exact) but very close to one another for my purposes. They are blue black inks with a good teal lean to it. There are two major differences with the inks. The first is the Legal Lapis is permanent. It is real bulletproof ink. The second, unfortunately, is that bulletproofness goes to the pen. It isn't a staining ink, but it does cling, requiring a swabbing out after use, therefore I'm a bit careful with what I put it in. I use this ink for contracts, applications, any time I need to write or sign something I want or need on the page for permenance. It has the additional benefit of being appropriately enough blue black yet unique enough no one else is going to be able to alter it without it being noticable.

The Air Corp, on the other hand, is one of the mildest, most forgiving inks around. Not waterproof, does not stain, cling, or react. I have no problem putting that ink in an expensive pen. Plus, it washes off skin easily, so if I hand a pen to a client, and the client gets ink on their hands (happens more often than I'd like), they can wash it off. Plus, when I want to use that vintage Doric for work that day, this ink will do the trick. So both inks are used, and I'm into my second bottle of Air Corp already. It has no permanence, but still no one is going to easily alter it without it being noticed (yeah, this can be a concern).

After a couple months, these lovely inks came. Here they are, pictured next to their traditional, 3 oz bottles:

Dcx5Mcz.jpg

The labels, aside from the weight, appear to be the same except the colors pop more on the 16 oz bottle. Here's both sides of the air corp:

eRUZQEQ.jpg

RkJddxv.jpg

Here's the legal lapis:

wL8XF4b.jpg

Lastly, in the Noodler's video, Nathan mentioned the bottles he uses for larger ink are not common bottles. There's some faceting on the top that gives a nice art deco look I wanted to show. Clearly, these are not off the shelf Snapple bottles:

OKQRJLV.jpg

Anyway, wanted to share. Hope you enjoy.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• eharriett

• effrafax

• peroride

• Intensity

Hate to be contrarian, but Aircorp Bue-Black is actually classed by Noodlers as bulletproof. I've experienced that myself when my car log book fell into a puddle getting out of the car. The Aircorp was untouched by the water, not even surface smearing, whilst Diamine's Purple Rain washed clean out.

Ref: https://noodlersink.com/product/19040-aircorp-blue-black/

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

Ooooo, pretty ! Thank you for the heads up. What is with the black electrical/duct tape at the opening? Does it help stop spills?

Hate to be contrarian, but Aircorp Bue-Black is actually classed by Noodlers as bulletproof. I've experienced that myself when my car log book fell into a puddle getting out of the car. The Aircorp was untouched by the water, not even surface smearing, whilst Diamine's Purple Rain washed clean out.

Its been a bit since I've had the Aircorp in a pen, but my wrist sweat smears it all the time, especially in the summer. It isn't waterproof to me. Therefore, not bulletproof. However, you are correct, I made the statement without actually checking the official chart. I just know how mine reacts.

Ooooo, pretty ! Thank you for the heads up. What is with the black electrical/duct tape at the opening? Does it help stop spills?

That's how the wonderful folks at Pendemonium shipped it to me. The original shipment to them from L-Brands leaked. They cleaned it up and replaced the label for me and put the tape around it to help protect it from further leakage. Noodlers is always filled to the tippy top and this one is no different. Was very happy for the extra service they gave me over at Pendemonium. They're my go to place for almost any special request.

Indeed, it is classified as that. However, it does not seem to have the characteristics of all the other BP's I use. I love ABB and it's one of my favorites, but I've always been confused by it's designation as a BP ink. I've used several bottles and haven't had the full BP experience. I think Goulet pens has it classified as partial BP. I can confirm that to be true. But not full BP.

Dave

2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

http://www.the-highw..._questions.html

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii208/blopplop/fpn-verm.jpg

Yes, in the chart of Noodler's ink properties, it shows as partially bulletproof. My only experience in that area, as I said before, was that it was totally waterproof.

Here's an extract from the table:

fpn_1594813624__noodlers.jpg

Cheers,

Effrafax.

"It is a well known and much lamented fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it"

Douglas Adams ("The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy - The Original Radio Scripts").

"Bulletproof" and "smeary" can be exhibited the same ink on the same page -- the ink that makes contact with cellulose in the paper bonds permanently, but excess ink on the surface does not, and remains subject to smearing.

Other Noodler's bulletproof inks behave this way when the applied ink line is wetter than the paper will absorb. As usual, the nib + ink + paper combination matters.

ACBB is definitely partially bulletproof. The tealy bit washes/smears off, and a black line remains after a wash in water.

. . . .

How is the feathering and general behavior of that large bottle batch of Legal Lapis?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Not opening it until current bottle is used up. Probably next year.

. . . .

How is the feathering and general behavior of that large bottle batch of Legal Lapis?

Now that's a lotta ink!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Not opening it until current bottle is used up. Probably next year.

Given that Noodler's is known for significant batch-to-batch variation, it might be worthwhile to crack the big bottle open now and do a test fill to see how it compares.

• 1 month later...

I just acquired another. This one from Vanness. And from an ink that's much harder to get. I had one of the original bottles from the 2019 Commonwealth and loved the color, but I had to ration the ink because I thought I'd never get it again. RATION NO MORE!!!

B8xHB8a.jpg

The huge bottles were too much for me to resist also. I got Proctor's Ledge from Vanness and it came faster than I would have expected. The packing was actually fit to the bottle. And that wasn't good enough because I had to have another color which I found at Pen Chalet, BSIAR. That came in two days. I am so impressed, I think the bottles are kind of intimidating.

Ooh thanks. I didn't realize Pen Chalet had some too. Looking now. Hmmmm........

I need to find my missing Baystate Blue pen.....

i didn't even finish my very first bottle of 54th Mass and I love/ration my Noodler's Manjiro Nakahama Whaleman's Sepia (wish that was in jug version)

But what 16oz did i get join the Noodler's Lifetime club?

Proctor's Ledge. It's a big bottle. Never tried it before. What is this madness? :o do we really need more ink?! :unsure:

I like brown inks so i went PL. It browns when diluted but generally greasy oil matte black though with no smear (new formula?); great review 2 years ago

I could live with that... for a lifetime :)

I have a 3 oz of the Proctors. It is a good brown, although my favorite would be the FPN Galileo Manuscript ...... ooooohhhhhhh ......... I wonder if we could get the FPN mod in charge of ordering that ink to get a 16 oz purchase made ..... hmmmmmm

I have a 3 oz of the Proctors. It is a good brown, although my favorite would be the FPN Galileo Manuscript ...... ooooohhhhhhh ......... I wonder if we could get the FPN mod in charge of ordering that ink to get a 16 oz purchase made ..... hmmmmmm

Probably not until our Admin is back in commission.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY