The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Are Penbbs 308 And 480 Sections Interchangeable?

penbbs 308 480

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TheVintagelife

TheVintagelife

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 19:17

As the title says, I am wondering if the sections of the two pens can be inter-changed. I otherwise quite like my 480 , but I don't like the sharp ridge at the (nib)end of the section, since I hold my pen quite low.  I find the 308 design quite meh, and hence haven't bought one, but I am liking the shape of the section from online pictures. I don't mind paying the full price (currently about $15 odd at Beini's page for the suitable colorway) just for the section (and can harvest the nib also if better than my currently least liked penBBS nib).

Can anyone who has both pens please try and let me know?

Sponsored Content

#2 MadAsAHatter

MadAsAHatter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:26

I have both and if I recall the sections are not interchangeable.  I don't have them with me right now but when I get home later I will double check.  

#3 MadAsAHatter

MadAsAHatter

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 23:27

OK, so I was half correct. 

The 480 section does not fully fit the 308 body.  The threads are the same but position of them does not allow it to screw all the way in.  

The 308 section does seem to fit the 480 body.  it screws in all the way and appears to not be loose or wiggle around.  I don't know if the O-ring makes a good tight seal though.  Cartridge/converter will be fine but I'd be a little hesitant to eye-dropper it.  There's also no issues with capping the 480 with the 308 section or any clearance issues with the nib hitting the inside top of the cap.  

Here are some pics.  The white is the 308 and the darker is the 480.  On the 480 section, the chrome ring is where it should meet the body.  As you can see it doesn't screw quite all the way in.

Attached Images

• IMG_20200715_181247.jpg
  • IMG_20200715_181130.jpg

#4 TheVintagelife

TheVintagelife

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2020 - 00:16

That's interesting and really very very helpful. I was interested in fitting a 308 section on my existing 480 body (the 480 section has the sharp ridge which I don't like) and it seems from your response that that combination fits well enough (I don't bother eye dropping as I like to change inks often).
Once again, very helpful.

#5 hood

hood

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2020 - 11:47

Just one point to bear in mind, the end of the 308 section may not fully touch or seal well against the end of the 'inner cap' in the 480 cap - the inside of the caps are machined so that the end of the section clamps pretty well against a ledge inside the cap, resulting in a smaller space inside the cap for the nib to sit in, and so a smaller volume of air for moisture to evaporate into. So potentially you might get the nib drying out more with the 308 section inside the 480 cap. I don't know if this is the case, and it may be that the 308 section seats well against the 480 inner cap, but it's something to think about. Even if it did tend to dry out quicker, you may use the pen frequently enough that it never becomes a problem in your situation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: penbbs, 308, 480

Sponsored Content

|