Ink Rambling - Amberleadavis Pif Noodlers Bad Blue Heron

Tas

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_bad_blue_heron_rambling.jpg

http://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_bad_blue_heron_amberleadavis_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_diamine_misty_blue_swatch.jpghttp://www.taskyprianou.com/fpn_noodlers_bad_blue_heron_swatch.jpg

The second more turquoise swatch (RHS) is from a sample I had way back in 2014 - The most recent (LHS) is how I remember it and how it looks now.

Diamine Misty Blue is still holding the top blue position for me right now. A tough colour to replicate. So much depth, charm & subtlety. Sadly zero water resistance :mellow:

Thank you so much amberleadavis. Please let me know when the office move is complete. I've two inky Koi waiting to be posted to you :).

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Intensity

• A Smug Dill

• LizEF

Top Posters In This Topic

I love your review Tas, especially your little character! I really like Bad Blue Heron.... It's nice and wet and unusual colour... :)

Thanks for the review

I really like this ink too. when you need a BB, and you absolutely need to make sure that even a LASER won't remove it, this is the ink to reach for!

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

Thanks, Tas! I've been missing your ramblings! Any chance you'll post a photo of those koi so the rest of us can be even more jealous? (Or did I miss them over in the artwork thread whose title I've forgotten?)

Thanks, Tas! I've been missing your ramblings! Any chance you'll post a photo of those koi so the rest of us can be even more jealous? (Or did I miss them over in the artwork thread whose title I've forgotten?)

Ahh, I've been enjoying your regular "tippety tap" reviews so much that I've not rambled for ages :wub:

Here's the link to the artwork thread I posted one of my Koi on. There's also a link to my little behind the scenes on that page too. Hope you like it :)

Ahh, I've been enjoying your regular "tippety tap" reviews so much that I've not rambled for ages :wub:

Here's the link to the artwork thread I posted one of my Koi on. There's also a link to my little behind the scenes on that page too. Hope you like it :)

Oh sure, it's all my fault! Now I'll have to quit doing ink reviews! ... NOT! :P

Yes! I remember now, I did see those - beautiful. My ink review videos will never be that classy! :D Don't you love how easy (relatively) it is to use the back of the Falcon's nib? That was one of the first things I realized when I got mine. Thanks the the link - it was just as enjoyable the second time around.

I have enjoyed looking through both of the “BB” reviews — thank you!

Which paper are you using for these reviews? The writing looks so crisp on it, with good shading. So far my own bulletproof Noodler’s inks have not looked crisp on most paper, but then there’s some variation between batches too. Which is why I now have sample vials of 4 Noodler’s inks I particularly like but had feathering problems with from a different vendor to see if I like their batches more.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I have enjoyed looking through both of the “BB” reviews — thank you!

Which paper are you using for these reviews? The writing looks so crisp on it, with good shading. So far my own bulletproof Noodler’s inks have not looked crisp on most paper, but then there’s some variation between batches too. Which is why I now have sample vials of 4 Noodler’s inks I particularly like but had feathering problems with from a different vendor to see if I like their batches more.

Thank you. I hope you find the right combination of ink pen and paper. :)

As for paper, I finally used up all the plain Rhodia No18 pads (I liked them to start but somehow soon went off them) and now have two Rhodia Staplebound Notebooks A4 Lined - Orange in preparation for any future ramblings. They seem to behave much much better. Can't work out why though as the paper spec seems the same. :mellow:

. . . I'm a sucker for rounded corners.

I think Rhodia uses Clairefontaine paper for some of their products. And there are probably different grades of Rhodia and Clariefontaine paper. I am also not a big fan of Rhodia #18 paper, nor of standard 95g Clairefontaine paper. Rhodia #18 can show feathering with quite a few inks, including Iroshizuku, and it can dull ink appearance. Clairefontaine can also dull ink appearance but is far more feathering-resistant. I don't like Clairefontaine 95g almost lavender-tinted white paper in Clairefontaine french-ruled and blank notebooks I have, but I do like Clairefontaine paper in Quo Vadis Life Journal: DOTS--I have both.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Thanks for the review. I was actually looking at buying a bottle of Bad Blue Heron from Amazon last week, to pad an order to make it eligible for free international shipping with Prime membership, but I'm always wary of Noodler's *proof inks feathering and end up passing on it (and bought an ultra-thin "light box" instead for about the same price). Seeing your writing sample, it appears that this ink may actually behave decently.

Rhodia No.18 is just its designation of a page size, though; it essentially means standard A4 (and I don't know why it doesn't simply say A4 to convey the meaning clearly). There are No.18 pads with 80g/m² (white) paper, and also No.18 pads with 90g/m² (cream-coloured) paper.

What I found alarming was that thicker — as in with more sheets per block — No.16 'Classic' lined pads seemed to have paper that is more prone to feathering than the standard ones with 80 sheets. I bought and used one of the former; never again! I'd have preferred the cheaper price per sheet in the thicker pads, but wasn't going to give Rhodia the benefit of the doubt that it was just an unfortunate batch variation. It seems Rhodia has since discontinued the product anyway.

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Good point, A Smug Dill -- I was referring to 80g dot grid pads in No. 18 size.

I would skip Amazon for international delivery of inks, if other items in the box are dear to you--at least the USA Amazon site.

Edited by Intensity

I would skip Amazon for international delivery of inks, if other items in the box are dear to you--at least the USA Amazon site.

Good advice.

That said, lately every time I put stuff in different categories sold and shipped by Amazon US on the same order, the system has automatically and immediately split the order into two or more (with distinct order numbers), presumably because they were to be fulfilled out of different warehouses, without then charging me additionally for shipping for the smaller orders. So now my 'policy' is that if it doesn't happen, and the bottled ink ends up with something else on the same order, then I just cancel the order, not that it's unheard of for Amazon to partially fulfil a single order with separate shipments sent on different days.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

What a happy review, thanks! I've had a couple samples of this and absolutely LOVED them, but then I started having second thoughts: what if I get a bottle and it's comletely different color/behaviour/whatever? Haven't pressed the trigger so far, went with more dependable inkmakers. Still on the list tho...

What a happy review, thanks! I've had a couple samples of this and absolutely LOVED them, but then I started having second thoughts: what if I get a bottle and it's comletely different color/behaviour/whatever? Haven't pressed the trigger so far, went with more dependable inkmakers. Still on the list tho...

. . . . "What if I fall?” Oh, but my darling, “What if you fly?" :rolleyes:

Erin Hanson