Nakaya Dorsal Fin 2 In Aka-Tamenuri - Video Review

MichalK

My grail pen is finally home. And it is a stunner. As my reviews focus on urushi aspect of the pen - I already recorded one and here it is.

Please write you opinion on this style of reviews after watching.

Edited by MichalK
Michal

URUSHI Studio, bespoke urushi fountain pens

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MichalK

• como

• Joe124013

• MoriartyR

MichalK: Thank you very much for this review. I love both the color/shade and the shape of this pen. I recently bought my first Urushi pen, a Nakaya Long Cigar Heki-Tamenuri. It will be a hard debate whether to get this one too, very tempting and very expensive! Your review is well done. It shows off this pen very well. Also you are passionate and knowledgeable about the subject, which really came through in the review. Much appreciated. Meanwhile I don’t have this pen, I can always look at your review!

I’m happy the pen lived up to your expectations and it writes so effortlessly. It is beautiful.

Your video is great too. I find most YouTube videos are rambling and repetitive but you get straight to the point and your honest passion for the pen and the lacquer techniques makes it a pleasure to listen to.

I hope you enjoy this pen for many, many years.

Enjoyed the video! It's truly a great looking pen!

And I also enjoyed that you were able to add a bit of knowledge and appreciation for the urushi process as well. Adds a lot to help understand what does make these pens special.

• 2 weeks later...

MichalK: Thank you for your video. I like the pens that you selected. The shapes are very good representation of this Japanese craft. For these pens, I also prefer the clipless. Of course these finishes are just gorgeous! Congratulations.

Thank you very much for the video. I enjoy your videos and have greatly admired your ability to create Urushi finishes of your own.

One small clarification..... You described the Heki Tamenuri pen as a "17mm Cigar" model. The model is actually a "17mm Portable". In Nakaya terminology, as you pointed out later in the video, "Cigar" refers to pens without clips and "Writer" refers to pens with clips. So the Heki Tamenuri pen is actually a 17mm Portable Cigar.

Please do not take this small clarification as a criticism. I watch all your videos and love the work you are doing. I hope I will be able to add some of the pens you are producing to my collection some day!

Keep up the great work!

Thank you very much for the video. I enjoy your videos and have greatly admired your ability to create Urushi finishes of your own.

One small clarification..... You described the Heki Tamenuri pen as a "17mm Cigar" model. The model is actually a "17mm Portable". In Nakaya terminology, as you pointed out later in the video, "Cigar" refers to pens without clips and "Writer" refers to pens with clips. So the Heki Tamenuri pen is actually a 17mm Portable Cigar.

Please do not take this small clarification as a criticism. I watch all your videos and love the work you are doing. I hope I will be able to add some of the pens you are producing to my collection some day!

Keep up the great work!

Thank you!, And yes, you are right - it is Cigar Portable (Cigar Long in 17mm is a rare pen BTW).

Michal

URUSHI Studio, bespoke urushi fountain pens

• 4 weeks later...

This is a great review, thank you so much. I especially appreciated the time you took to show how to line up the fins when closing up the pen. The pen itself is stunning, congratulations on acquiring it.

Wonderful review, thank you for sharing. It’s nice to hear someone so knowledgeable and passionate about the technique describing the pen.

I hope the pen brings you joy for years to come.