Which Brands Have Flex Nibs?

Mysterious Mose

I'd hardly characterize the Pilot FA nib needing muscle, in fact I think the FA is softer than some vintage flex>

I would absolutely agree with max dog and I love my 743+FA combination almost as much as my vintage Pelikans.

Problem with MB 149 Calligraphy pen: $$$ (I'd love one!)

(PS: @JosephKing: <...>you can see the types of forces that I'm used to applying> Force is not something that is visible, as I understand it! I'm just yanking your chain, Joseph!)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• silverlifter

• JosephKing

• Mysterious Mose

(PS: @JosephKing: <...>you can see the types of forces that I'm used to applying> Force is not something that is visible, as I understand it! I'm just yanking your chain, Joseph!)

:P Very good, Christopher; I chuckled.

Edited by JosephKing

I just constructed a rather crude experiment to give some perspective:

- write a flexed line on a piece of paper over a kitchen scale with each pen, trying to achieve the same line width for each sample.

- one hand grips the paper, one hand grips the pen, neither hand touches the scale

In my very inconsistent results, I see something like 175 grams (1.7 N of force) on average for the 743 FA and 95 grams (0.9 N of force) on average for a similar line by the FPNibs semi flex. That's roughly half the required force.

I readily admit it's neither precise nor accurate, but it's useful enough to give a general sense of what I'm experiencing.

Edited by JosephKing

I just constructed a rather crude experiment to give some perspective:

- write a flexed line on a piece of paper over a kitchen scale with each pen, trying to achieve the same line width for each sample.

Wouldn't the proportional spread be more relevant, if (the flexibility of) the nib is the primary focus of the investigation and not the user's writing outcome (i.e. line width)? A nib that leaves a line 0.4mm wide with no more downward pressure than the weight of its own pen, but spreads to 1.6mm, would be more of a flex capability then one that rests at 0.6mm but spreads to 1.8mm or 2.0mm?

- one hand grips the paper, one hand grips the pen, neither hand touches the scale

I thought of doing the same sort of experiment myself, in formulating a reply to someone else about my use of nibs and my writing technique, but I just can't do it and write properly without resting the heel of my writing hand on something. :(

Edited by A Smug Dill

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Wouldn't the proportional spread be more relevant, if (the flexibility of) the nib is the primary focus of the investigation and not the user's writing outcome...

... but I just can't do write properly without resting the heel of my writing hand on something. :(

My focus was to compare the softness between the two pens at moderate flex levels (EF -> M/B). This experiment shows that if someone is not comfortable exerting a lot of pressure when they're flexing, then the (my) FPNibs is noticably softer than the (my) 743 FA, and might be something to consider.

I agree that it would be more valuable if the experiment was done from a normal writing position, but without the appropriate tools/setup, and to just get a general sense of the feeling, this way seemed to be good enough.

Edited by JosephKing

Noodler Ahab which is most affordable and environmentally responsible.

Noodler Ahab which is most affordable and environmentally responsible.

The most affordable, possibly, Certainly not the most environmentally responsible: that would be a vintage pen, not buying something else to add to landfill.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

A Noodler's Ahab already manufactured but not bought is no worse and no better than a vintage pen with regard to adding to landfill.

Whether Noodler's as a business enterprise will choose to produce more units of the Ahab, in response to apparent market demand evidence by sales of existing stock, is not really up to the pen buyer or user to dictate or control. I don't think it's a valid argument that one must, or ought to, take such decisions out of someone else's hands in order to practise being environmentally responsible oneself.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

A Noodler's Ahab already manufactured but not bought is no worse and no better than a vintage pen with regard to adding to landfill.

Whether Noodler's as a business enterprise will choose to produce more units of the Ahab, in response to apparent market demand evidence by sales of existing stock, is not really up to the pen buyer or user to dictate or control. I don't think it's a valid argument that one must, or ought to, take such decisions out of someone else's hands in order to practise being environmentally responsible oneself.

I'm not arguing that anyone ought not buy an Ahab. I am saying that claiming they are the most environmentally responsible option is false. Buying them is one of the stimuli for further production. Buying vintage is not.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• 7 months later...
On 7/13/2020 at 1:00 AM, aimi said:

You could try some reputable dealers to start off with like Peyton Street Pens and Redeem Pens. Willow Strong Pens also restores a lot of vintage flex (I think I learned of this site here). I dont think vintage pens have a crazy amount of upkeep, even if you melt your sac because you like to use whatever inks; theres a lot of people who can easily restore it, or maybe thats something to learn at that time as well. Im more wary about random eBay sellers.

Im sure when you started with photography things were probably hazy as well! Sometimes I marvel at what Ive learned in the past and how crazy malleable our brains are.

Oh wow.... I find this to be very helpful since I've been learning about Mikeitwork & Pablo's skills at grinding nibs. But to start with, I've been very much into vintage world in term of everything, including pens especially for its flexible nibs. I happened to find WillongStrong Pens' ebay account a few days ago after purchasing one Waterman 92 from another vendor on ebay, now that thanks to this community, I get to learn of Peyton Street Pens & Redeem Pens (which is selling one italic nib pen right now at a reasonable price for my pocket).

I truly adore Pablo and Michael's skills from many people's photos, but to be honest, with my limited knowledge , it's quite painful for me to purchase the pens from oversea to Vietnam, and having it sent to the nibmeisters for the regrind, back and forth with the custom's issue. Or another option is me purchasing the nibs from Pablo , finding the housing for them from other companies... What a hobby that I've got myself into.