The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Which Brands Have Flex Nibs?

nibs stipula

48 replies to this topic

#41 Christopher Godfrey

Christopher Godfrey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • Location:Gloucester (The Perfect Storm one, in Massachusetts)
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 17:05

<I'd hardly characterize the Pilot FA nib needing muscle, in fact I think the FA is softer than some vintage flex>

I would absolutely agree with max dog and I love my 743+FA combination almost as much as my vintage Pelikans.

Problem with MB 149 Calligraphy pen: $$$ (I'd love one!)

(PS: @JosephKing: <...you can see the types of forces that I'm used to applying>  Force is not something that is visible, as I understand it!  I'm just yanking your chain, Joseph!)

Edited by Christopher Godfrey, 14 July 2020 - 17:07.

Sponsored Content

#42 JosephKing

JosephKing

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 20:27

(PS: @JosephKing: <...you can see the types of forces that I'm used to applying>  Force is not something that is visible, as I understand it!  I'm just yanking your chain, Joseph!)

:P Very good, Christopher; I chuckled.

Edited by JosephKing, 14 July 2020 - 20:28.

#43 JosephKing

JosephKing

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 21:19

I just constructed a rather crude experiment to give some perspective:
- write a flexed line on a piece of paper over a kitchen scale with each pen, trying to achieve the same line width for each sample.
- one hand grips the paper, one hand grips the pen, neither hand touches the scale

In my very inconsistent results, I see something like 175 grams (1.7 N of force) on average for the 743 FA and 95 grams (0.9 N of force) on average for a similar line by the FPNibs semi flex. That's roughly half the required force.

I readily admit it's neither precise nor accurate, but it's useful enough to give a general sense of what I'm experiencing.

Edited by JosephKing, 14 July 2020 - 21:36.

#44 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 02:37

I just constructed a rather crude experiment to give some perspective:
- write a flexed line on a piece of paper over a kitchen scale with each pen, trying to achieve the same line width for each sample.

Wouldn't the proportional spread be more relevant, if (the flexibility of) the nib is the primary focus of the investigation and not the user's writing outcome (i.e. line width)? A nib that leaves a line 0.4mm wide with no more downward pressure than the weight of its own pen, but spreads to 1.6mm, would be more of a flex capability then one that rests at 0.6mm but spreads to 1.8mm or 2.0mm?

- one hand grips the paper, one hand grips the pen, neither hand touches the scale

I thought of doing the same sort of experiment myself, in formulating a reply to someone else about my use of nibs and my writing technique, but I just can't do it and write properly without resting the heel of my writing hand on something. :(

Edited by A Smug Dill, 15 July 2020 - 11:55.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#45 JosephKing

JosephKing

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 July 2020 - 11:35

Wouldn't the proportional spread be more relevant, if (the flexibility of) the nib is the primary focus of the investigation and not the user's writing outcome...

... but I just can't do write properly without resting the heel of my writing hand on something. :(

My focus was to compare the softness between the two pens at moderate flex levels (EF -> M/B). This experiment shows that if someone is not comfortable exerting a lot of pressure when they're flexing, then the (my) FPNibs is noticably softer than the (my) 743 FA, and might be something to consider.

I agree that it would be more valuable if the experiment was done from a normal writing position, but without the appropriate tools/setup, and to just get a general sense of the feeling, this way seemed to be good enough.

Edited by JosephKing, 15 July 2020 - 11:43.

#46 eclectic2316

eclectic2316

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 18:40

Noodler Ahab which is most affordable and environmentally responsible.

#47 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 18:52

Noodler Ahab which is most affordable and environmentally responsible.

The most affordable, possibly, Certainly not the most environmentally responsible: that would be a vintage pen, not buying something else to add to landfill.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

#48 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,878 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 19:18

A Noodler's Ahab already manufactured but not bought is no worse and no better than a vintage pen with regard to adding to landfill.

Whether Noodler's as a business enterprise will choose to produce more units of the Ahab, in response to apparent market demand evidence by sales of existing stock, is not really up to the pen buyer or user to dictate or control. I don't think it's a valid argument that one must, or ought to, take such decisions out of someone else's hands in order to practise being environmentally responsible oneself.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#49 silverlifter

silverlifter

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 860 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 July 2020 - 19:24

A Noodler's Ahab already manufactured but not bought is no worse and no better than a vintage pen with regard to adding to landfill.

Whether Noodler's as a business enterprise will choose to produce more units of the Ahab, in response to apparent market demand evidence by sales of existing stock, is not really up to the pen buyer or user to dictate or control. I don't think it's a valid argument that one must, or ought to, take such decisions out of someone else's hands in order to practise being environmentally responsible oneself.

I'm not arguing that anyone ought not buy an Ahab. I am saying that claiming they are the most environmentally responsible option is false. Buying them is one of the stimuli for further production. Buying vintage is not.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs, stipula

Sponsored Content

|