Which Brands Have Flex Nibs?

Mysterious Mose

For three years, I've had a Stipula Splash fountain pen. I like the V-Flex nib and the piston ink filler. I don't like the size -- it's tiny. I don't like that it railroads when pressed hard.

So, what other pens have flex nibs? Price matters but right now I'm just gathering information and wouldn't want to limit the candidates to any particular price range.

I know that Esterbrook has a flex nib. Who else does?

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• max dog

• silverlifter

• JosephKing

• Mysterious Mose

Right now Montblanc is the only manufacturer that offers a modern factory flex nib in their 149 and 146 Special Edition Calligraphy flex lines that perform like a vintage flex nib and has a feed with a robust enough ink flow that can keep up with continuous flexing without railroading which has been the problem with every other modern flex offering.

fpn_1582784761__mb_149_calligraphy.jpg

fpn_1592353889__mb_149_calligraphy_sampl

Edited by max dog

Right now Montblanc is the only manufacturer that offers a modern factory flex nib...

Santini offers flex nibs on their new pens.

Pablo Carrasco at FPNibs.com sells Jowo nibs with a semi- or full-flex grinds; you can put them in any number of pens that take a standard #6 size nib.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

Scribo has flex nibs.

Franklin Christoph offered a flex nib option.

Nakaya has elastic nibs, but that is not the same as tine spread.

I second the FPnibs option.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Santini offers flex nibs on their new pens.

Pablo Carrasco at FPNibs.com sells Jowo nibs with a semi- or full-flex grinds; you can put them in any number of pens that take a standard #6 size nib.

Santini looks interesting, but the flex nib is offered on their limited editions only. For example the Santini Libra flex pens are limited to only 33 units. I agree there are lots of aftermarket flex options.

Edited by max dog

Santini looks interesting, but the flex nib is offered on their limited editions only. For example the Santini Libra flex pens are limited to only 33 units. I agree there are lots of aftermarket flex options.

It's modern "factory" flex. Sure, they are a small manufacturer, but they make their own nibs in house, and they make and sell flex nibs. Ergo, they qualify.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

It appears that Libra, Tosca and Colors pens cost about 260 Euros and Limited Editions cost about twice that much. I wouldn't need 33 units. :)

What pens would the Jowo flex or full-flex nibs fit? I.e. standard #6 size nib?

Please identify any other aftermarket options.

Dan Kalish

Fountain Pens: Pelikan Souveran M805, Pelikan Petrol-Marble M205, Santini Libra Cumberland, Waterman Expert II, Waterman Phileas, Waterman Kultur, Stipula Splash, Sheaffer Sagaris, Sheaffer Prelude, Osmiroid 65

It appears that Libra, Tosca and Colors pens cost about 260 Euros and Limited Editions cost about twice that much. I wouldn't need 33 units. :)

What pens would the Jowo flex or full-flex nibs fit? I.e. standard #6 size nib?

Please identify any other aftermarket options.

For aftermarket option I would consider getting a Pilot Falcon FA (912 or 743), and replacing the factory plastic feed with an aftermarket ebonite feed. The FA nib is very soft and offers pretty good line variation (I've had mine for several years and was my go to modern flex pen before I got the Montblanc). It does not run as fine as the Montblanc, but with a proper feed, it performs well. If you go to the Japanese Fountain Pens subforum, there is a post that recommends a good aftermarket ebonite feed supplier for the FA nib. I just can't remember the name.

Here is what my 912 FA can do when the feed is properly saturated. An ebonite feed can solve the inadequate feed issue.

fpn_1526543829__pilot_fa_as_dip_pen_demo

Edited by max dog

It's modern "factory" flex. Sure, they are a small manufacturer, but they make their own nibs in house, and they make and sell flex nibs. Ergo, they qualify.

I suppose if you can get a hold of one, it sounds like Santini is a good factory flex option. I saw the SBREBROWN review.

Santini looks interesting, but the flex nib is offered on their limited editions only. For example the Santini Libra flex pens are limited to only 33 units.

From Santini Italia's web site:

Flexy nib is currently available on models: Libra, Libra Ebonite, Michelangelo, Calypso, Nonagon, Tour Eiffel, Costa Smeralda, Laguna Blue, Cumberland..

Not all colours of the Libra are limited editions (for which I suspect any limits are merely the result of availability of rod stock in that material and/or colour); you can get a Libra Jungle and select a Flexy nib as an option in the ordering process.

Aurora offers a factory flex nib as an option on some of its models.

Fountain Pen Revolution offers factory flex and ultra flex nibs on some of its models, if you don't want an Italian pen.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

From Santini Italia's web site:

Not all colours of the Libra are limited editions (for which I suspect any limits are merely the result of availability of rod stock in that material and/or colour); you can get a Libra Jungle and select a Flexy nib as an option in the ordering process.

Aurora offers a factory flex nib as an option on some of its models.

Aurora flex nib is a piece of garbage..WARNED..Furthermore Aurora Customer Service in Torino..really stink !!..

Regards...

Aurora flex nib is a piece of garbage..WARNED..

How or why is that? If you've written of your user experience of the Aurora Flex nib here on FPN, please link us to the posts so we can have a look. I remember @Honeybadgers seem not to think too badly of the product, other than that it isn't fine enough for his tastes when the tines are not flexed (and "warned" me that there it would suit my personal tastes even less).

Among European (or more broadly "Western") brands, I have more units of Aurora pens than any other brand; a seventeenth one is on its way to me right now, so I myself must be pretty happy with its product quality on the whole; but I can't comment on the customer service from the company's Italian headquarters, as I've never had occasion to deal with them directly. When I had problems with my new purchases, I just took the issues up with the respective retailers and got them resolved (albeit rather slowly sometimes).

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

I second max dog's words on the subject of the Pilot 912 or 743 (I have the latter) with FA nib. Change the feed to the very affordable one (I call it cheap: great value!) from Flexible Nib Factory and you have a realistic flexible, modern set-up. (Regarding the FNFactory: proprietor Joey Grasty is very prompt in sending out his products!)

I have tried the Conklin Duraflex and had no luck; I changed the nib/feed unit to one from whoever it is who sells the flexy, modified Jowo nibs -- and still have had no real success. It does not come anywhere the Pilot/FA combination, in my opinion! My FA nib is the larger (size 15) and this pen now affords me almost as much pleasure as any of my vintage Pelikans.

You might also consider a pen with a titanium nib (Stipula?) Although not considered a real "flex" material, the springy "feel" is pleasant on paper and I have an Omas with this nib. However, considering the sports spectacles that you may buy, made of titanium, which are so flexy and unbreakable, I fail to understand why they do not make properly flexible nibs in this lovely material...

Edited by Christopher Godfrey

I find it strange that so far no one mentioned vintage flexible nibs.

Plenty to choose from. This is but one example out of so many options:

49953515143_4637834271_c.jpg

- Will
Restored Pens and Sketches on Instagram @redeempens

How or why is that? If you've written of your user experience of the Aurora Flex nib here on FPN, please link us to the posts so we can have a look. I remember @Honeybadgers seem not to think too badly of the product, other than that it isn't fine enough for his tastes when the tines are not flexed (and "warned" me that there it would suit my personal tastes even less).

Among European (or more broadly "Western") brands, I have more units of Aurora pens than any other brand; a seventeenth one is on its way to me right now, so I myself must be pretty happy with its product quality on the whole; but I can't comment on the customer service from the company's Italian headquarters, as I've never had occasion to deal with them directly. When I had problems with my new purchases, I just took the issues up with the respective retailers and got them resolved (albeit rather slowly sometimes).

..So...

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/349036-aurora-88-flex/

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/350701-what-can-i-do-with-aurora-customer-service-in-torino-headquarter/

ENJOY IT! ;)

"I find it strange that so far no one mentioned vintage flexible nibs."

I mentioned Esterbrook in the original post.

Dan Kalish

Could also get a flex mod on an existing pen you own (I got one from Mike Masuyama). Usually done on 14c nibs, but apparently it can be done on 18c if the nib is large enough, as mine was on a modern Pelikan M800.

https://imgur.com/a/6RWvpDC

Left: Flex Mod (sorry a bit shaky on my part)

Right: Vintage flex

Edited by aimi