The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

M800 Leaking At Top Of Barrel

pelikan repairs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 01:14

I recently inked up my red barreled M800, and noticed that after a few moments of writing ink stains on my fingers. I thought I hadn’t cleaned the threads after the filling, so after going over the threads again I  used the pen for a while, and the ink reappeared on my hands. 

as near as I can tell, the pen is leaking where the barrel meets the section, below the cap threads. The pen has not been mistreated or exposed to extremes of heat or cold. 

Anyone else experienced this?  Thanks

Sponsored Content

#2 Tweel

Tweel

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:47

A separation of the section and barrel seems to happen occasionally to Pelikans, unfortunately (sorry about your pen!).  I had the section of a new M320 fall off entirely while in transit from the seller to myself.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

#3 jameswatts

jameswatts

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 15:27

I'm wondering if it is worth sending it to be repaired, or if it is beyond repair.

#4 TitoThePencilPimp

TitoThePencilPimp

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 16:43

My nib from m800 Stressman loosens from writing. Is this something to be concerned about?

#5 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,941 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 17:03

I'm wondering if it is worth sending it to be repaired, or if it is beyond repair.

Yes it is worth it. There is another thread about this issue and IIRC Ron Zorn repairs this problem. 

#6 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,857 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 17:08

It is worth it.  A replacement barrel is something like $250.  Red barrels are no longer available.  I charge $75 for the repair plus return shipping. Contact back channel, by email please, not PM. 

I like your avatar BTW.  I have pictures of our silver tabby (torby, or Egyptian Mau mix) in that pose on her perch in the sunspot on the mantel.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#7 carlos.q

carlos.q

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,941 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2020 - 17:09

My nib from m800 Stressman loosens from writing. Is this something to be concerned about?

This should not happen. If what loosens is the whole nib unit you just have to screw it into the body a wee bit tighter. If the nib loosens from the nib unit that is a much bigger problem. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pelikan, repairs

Sponsored Content

|