The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

200% Pilot Blue-Black Ink Review (Instead Of The Dull 100%)

pilot namiki blue-black iroshizuku business ink water resistant ink dark blue ink navy blue ink work appropriate ink

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#41 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2020 - 19:10

No worries, I didn't want to start an argument!

I really like both inks, but blue black gets more use as it is a real workhorse kind of ink.

Although I have to say, that (at least with my bottles) there are no subtle differences, the inks look completely different. I can not see similarities between them (other than that they are both called blue black).

I think my ink color comparison skills are not so good cause I only see subtle differences.

:blush:

maybe its the case that some people have a particularly good eye for inks, just like some people have a particularly good ear for music. Maybe its something you are born with??

Sponsored Content

#42 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,731 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:27

Thank you for showing this to us.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#43 Safari_Camo

Safari_Camo

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:31

You could put the ink in Borosilicate glass Flask over the stove with a ultra mild temperature, you could get the results sooner.   :D

#44 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2020 - 23:15

I really like/prefer the shade of the 200%.  

Agreed! I may have to pick some up after seeing this review  :)

#45 khalameet

khalameet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 16:59

This is the color I get out of my Custom 823. It is a little bit lighter than in OPs pictures, but I really enjoy this tone. Then pen is a little bit on the wetter side, though.

One thing I really love about this ink: If I think about what I am writing for a short time, the first few letters or figures are considerably darker, which gives my writing a lot more of that "fountain pen personality".

Perfect ink.

Attached Images

• IMG_20200714_183436.jpg

#46 khalameet

khalameet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 19:45

I think my ink color comparison skills are not so good cause I only see subtle differences.

:blush:

maybe its the case that some people have a particularly good eye for inks, just like some people have a particularly good ear for music. Maybe its something you are born with??

Hey,

if you are interested, I found these thrilling pictures on the German Penexchange forum.

There are a lot of differences to see, but I agree, sometimes they are very subtle while writing. Maybe you want to see this :)

Shin-Kai: https://www.penexcha...tart=45#p304916

Blue Black: https://www.penexcha...tart=30#p304090

To me, in this pictures and in real life, Shin-Kai is darker, but more grey, while the blue black is lighter, but more purple/blue.

#47 Olya

Olya

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 985 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 20:26

Hey,

if you are interested, I found these thrilling pictures on the German Penexchange forum.

There are a lot of differences to see, but I agree, sometimes they are very subtle while writing. Maybe you want to see this :)

To me, in this pictures and in real life, Shin-Kai is darker, but more grey, while the blue black is lighter, but more purple/blue.

Good find!

They are similar, but definitely not the same.

More cousins than siblings, I suppose.

#48 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 22:27

Hey,

What a great collection there.  My favorites are Maruzen Athena = Sailor Jentle Blue Black and Pelikan 4001 BB.  Didn’t know the Pelikan BB was so tealy, now I want it.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#49 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• 1,550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 August 2020 - 22:28

Hey,

Thanks for the info! Actually my vanishing point finally broke after many years of heavy use, so I retired it and pilot blue black for now. Currently I am using a montblanc 14 EF and montblanc midnite blue ink as my new solo pen/ink. The modern non iron gall midnight blue is not as good as the older iron gall but it’s still a nice blue black with decent shading. Have u tried it?

#50 khalameet

khalameet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2020 - 17:02

You are welcome :)

I am sorry for your Vanishing Point. I have one myself, but it does not seal well, so I don't use it as much as I would like to :(

I have not tried the MB Midnight Blue, but a friend of mine uses it almost exclusively. If I HAD to use one ink exclusively, color-wise this one would be in the top three. And I assume that the writing feel is great, too, because usually MB delivers good stuff :)

I really like your one pen, one ink approach. I try to use Pilot Blue Black in my Custom 845 exclusively at the moment. It works, and I really enjoy it. But there is always this one bottle of KWZ IG Blue Black which whispers my name...I can not help it.

#51 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2020 - 19:43

One of my VPs used to not seal well, but I’ve resolved that issue on my own.  Make sure there is no dried ink in the section where the sealing “door” is.  Soak the section for a while then air-dry really well.  Make sure to tighten the section and the pen body completely when reassembling and that your cartridge or converter are seated firmly all the way.

Edited by Intensity, 22 August 2020 - 19:43.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#52 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• 1,550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2020 - 21:52

You are welcome :)

I am sorry for your Vanishing Point. I have one myself, but it does not seal well, so I don't use it as much as I would like to :(

I have not tried the MB Midnight Blue, but a friend of mine uses it almost exclusively. If I HAD to use one ink exclusively, color-wise this one would be in the top three. And I assume that the writing feel is great, too, because usually MB delivers good stuff :)

I really like your one pen, one ink approach. I try to use Pilot Blue Black in my Custom 845 exclusively at the moment. It works, and I really enjoy it. But there is always this one bottle of KWZ IG Blue Black which whispers my name...I can not help it.

yes the MB midnight blue is really smooth, it holds a true line without spreading, and shading is subtle but always there. I'm really enjoying the montblanc 14 as well, very smooth EF, the nib is so much better than a 149, and for being a rather compact pen, it has a huge ink capacity 1.6 cc. Plus unlike most other montblancs, it can be completely disassembled without any tools in under a minute, for deep cleaning. Amazing pen.

#53 doublechocolate

doublechocolate

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 00:26

I know this post is about Pilot blue-black 350ml ink. I have been searching for a 350 ml Pilot Blue ink but couldn't find any.

Do you, by any chance, know if the Pilot Blue in large size was discontinued?

#54 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• 1,550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 00:41

I know this post is about Pilot blue-black 350ml ink. I have been searching for a 350 ml Pilot Blue ink but couldn't find any.

Do you, by any chance, know if the Pilot Blue in large size was discontinued?

Pilot blue does not come in 350 ml unfortunately - and Ive looked

#55 mhguda

mhguda

It's mostly the paper that gets me now...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 02:14

Pilot blue does not come in 350 ml unfortunately - and Ive looked

I actually have a bottle of it - only I thought it was a little lack-lustre... I added some black food color to it, and a bit of Blackstone Sydney Harbour Blue, to make it more to my liking... I bought it from Jetpens. About 2 years ago, IIRC.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#56 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Antique

• 1,550 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 03:16

I actually have a bottle of it.

a 60 ml bottle I would wager to say

#57 khalameet

khalameet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:55

In Brazil you can buy a 500ml bottle of Pilot Blue. This ink is almost exactly the same as the 70ml version from Japan, but it is made in Brazil.

But for some reason the 350ml bottles are only available in red, blue black and black. The 70ml bottles lack a red version...

Edited by khalameet, 24 August 2020 - 05:56.

#58 aurore

aurore

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 06:32

In Brazil you can buy a 500ml bottle of Pilot Blue. This ink is almost exactly the same as the 70ml version from Japan, but it is made in Brazil.

But for some reason the 350ml bottles are only available in red, blue black and black. The 70ml bottles lack a red version...

Thank you, never heard of it before. Now found this (even some technical data are available):
http://www.pilotpen....inteiro-500-ml/

In Japan only 350ml glass bottles are available (black/blue-black/red).

#59 khalameet

khalameet

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:55

Yes, that's the one :)

But honestly, I think that the 350ml glass bottles are actually kind of good looking, they have something beautiful yet functional. The 500ml plastic bottle though...I don't know. I was under the impression that plastic is a bit too permeable and over time this could evaporate a lot? I mean, even if you write a lot, 500ml will take some time. I need three years for one 350ml bottle*.

*Edit: If I would use only one ink, which doesn't apply.

Edited by khalameet, 24 August 2020 - 07:56.

#60 mhguda

mhguda

It's mostly the paper that gets me now...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:44

a 60 ml bottle I would wager to say

:wallbash:how stupid of me. Not 60ml but only slightly larger: 70ml. Just like the blue black.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, namiki, blue-black, iroshizuku, business ink, water resistant ink, dark blue ink, navy blue ink, work appropriate ink

Sponsored Content

|