The New Sheaffer Preludes Are Hitting Dealer Shelves

PenHero

Hi Folks!

This is the new Sheaffer Prelude Deep Blue cartridge / converter fountain just released this Spring. It’s about 5 ¼ inches long capped and retails for $85.00. A rollerball pen and ballpoint pen are also available. The cap and barrel are finished in a deep blue PVD with horizontal engravings that create a banded effect. The trim is chrome plated. The cap band is stamped SHEAFFER. Other colors are planned. The stainless steel nib is firm and available in medium and fine.

They should be available at your Sheaffer dealer.

http://www.penhero.com/Temp/SheafferPrelude9163_2048_01.jpg

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• StevenC

• gammada

• PenHero

• dan in montreal

I have a black onyx Prelude from the 1990s. It's a bit worse for wear

(slightly loose cap, scuffed up section) but still a very smooth writer. I

have seen a few disparaging comments about the newer Sheaffers.

Does anyone have an opinion of the recently-produced Preludes?

(Not necessarily the 2020's.)

Thanks,

Steve

Up until last week, I pretty much ignored all modern Parker and Sheaffer pens, dismissing them as utter non-sense. But I bought a 2018 second hand Parker and it made me reconsider. I mean, they definitely don't stir any passions in me, but seems their write qualities and fit and finish are not that bad.

Hopefully this Prelude is the beginning of great new things for Sheaffer under the Cross umbrella.

BTW Just spotted a Taranis that definitely caught my eye!

Just spotted a Taranis that definitely caught my eye!

Not sure how that model performed, but it should definitely be reintroduced as it had an excellent design. I personally have no love for the design of a prelude, especially the section and nib.

Thank you both for your replies. I haven't acquired a Sheaffer (or Parker or Cross) since the 90's,

though that was not due to dissatisfaction with the ones I bought back then. (The Prelude and

a Cross Townsend from the same era still write perfectly. And I can't blame the Prelude for the

exterior wear and tear. It is a well-traveled pen.)

I have never tried the Taranis. Are you eyeing a new one?

Not sure how that model performed, but it should definitely be reintroduced as it had an excellent design. I personally have no love for the design of a prelude, especially the section and nib.

The Prelude section does appear to be a generally unloved component. What do you dislike

about the nib? I wonder if the the new Prelude nibs will be different from the old.

Thanks again.

Steve

Which factory do they come out of?

Good question. If the pen is still available, I will find out. Are there significant

differences?

I meant, is there a difference in quality between the old Preludes

and the new (Chinese-made) pens? I read one remark to the effect

that the newer ones "feel" cheap and poorly assembled. But someone

else --- a knowledgeable Sheaffer collector --- sees no difference in feel,

fit and performance.

Thank you for your reply.

Steve

Of course, the problem is price. I can get many vintage Sheaffers for $85.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

I have a Sheaffer Prelude from circa 2012 of basically the same design as shown in the photo (it's a brushed metal not this pretty blue). I like it, it's got a smooth but firm nib and is a reliable writer. Pen is medium weight - not as light as plastic models. Has a nice snap on cap. Two things to note, 1) the section is angled (kind of like the Lamy) and not everyone is comfortable with that, especially when writing for a long time (it also has a ridge at the bottom which can be uncomfortable if you are prone to holding the pen too close to the nib) 2) the pen feels top heavy when posted and a little insecure. Mine was purchased in the UK and doesn't denote the place of manufacture.

Is it worth $85? I'd say it's a well-built, quality pen, that has years of service but I will admit there are plenty of vintage pens to be had for this price.

I meant, is there a difference in quality between the old Preludes

and the new (Chinese-made) pens? I read one remark to the effect

that the newer ones "feel" cheap and poorly assembled. But someone

else --- a knowledgeable Sheaffer collector --- sees no difference in feel,

fit and performance.

Steve

While I can't speak to this recent incarnation of the Prelude, based on my experience with the Sagaris, I don't see with they would be poorly assembled. The fact they are made in China does not matter if the QC is good.

Agreed, 85.00 USD is too expensive. I expect the price will drop after a while. I got the Sagaris for less than half the MSRP.

About the section... I don't get why they hever changed the material it's made of. The pen looks classy until you uncap it. The section is made of a plastic that feels and looks cheap. However, ergonomically, it has never bothered me.

While I can't speak to this recent incarnation of the Prelude, based on my experience with the Sagaris, I don't see with they would be poorly assembled. The fact they are made in China does not matter if the QC is good.

I agree that Chinese manufacture per se doesn't imply poor quality. I am only paraphrasing

one reviewer who found these pens unsatisfactory in certain respects

Steve

Just fine and medium nibs...... Pah.

That also gave me pause. The nib rating on my ancient Prelude wore off some time ago,

but I am pretty sure it is an EF. However, it writes as broadly as (for example) a Waterman M.

I wonder if the new F is considerably broader than the old EF.

Me neither. As for the Taranis performance, seems to be good, if nothing outstanding. But for some reason, I really like what they did with the section.

Thank you both for your replies. I haven't acquired a Sheaffer (or Parker or Cross) since the 90's,

though that was not due to dissatisfaction with the ones I bought back then. (The Prelude and

a Cross Townsend from the same era still write perfectly. And I can't blame the Prelude for the

exterior wear and tear. It is a well-traveled pen.)

I have never tried the Taranis. Are you eyeing a new one?

The Prelude section does appear to be a generally unloved component. What do you dislike

about the nib? I wonder if the the new Prelude nibs will be different from the old.

Thanks again.

Steve

I'd rather buy something second hand. As someone wrote before, you can have many a vintage Sheaffer pens for the price of a new one.

Of course, the problem is price. I can get many vintage Sheaffers for $85.

Agreed! And also, with much more interesting features. The Stylist MKII I just got, was only $21. Definitely a lot more pen than pretty much any current Sheaffer (the in-laid pens seem to have been discontinued).

Well guess it all depends on how you view this. My very first fountain pen was a Cross Century from the early 80's. I got it brand new back then and had fond memories of it. A couple years back, I went to a pen shop to purchase the modern one. The minute I held it on my hands, the minute I was deeply disappointed! The section felt particularly cheap, looked horrendous in gold (mine had a black section), and the overall pen weight was lower than that of the original (had held one a few days prior).

According to friends and reviewers out there, the pen performs quite well and so far, I've been unable to find any notable issues with the Chinese version, but the feel would definitely prevent me from ever getting one, specially so, when I can get a vintage for a little less money.