The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

When You Ink Up Your Pen Do You ...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Astron

Astron

Ex astris scientia.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 20:17

Depends on what I plan to do.

Sponsored Content

#22 sentience

sentience

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:31

First time using the pen I do a half fill of Lamy Blue. It's my default ink. Because every pen has had Lamy Blue in it, I can gauge how the pen would behave with other inks.

This is genius. I find myself flushing (to the point of removing the nib if I can) every new LAMY I buy to get rid of the residual Blue before filling it with another ink, to avoid contaminating the bottle. I should just use it with some Blue first!

#23 Venemo

Venemo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 August 2020 - 14:00

It depends. If I know it will be used up quickly, or the pen can hold a large amount of ink without drying out, then I usually just fill it up completely. For example, the Platinum 3776 Century has this slip and seal mechanism which does a superb job preventing it from drying out, so I know I can fill it up and it will be always ready when I need it.

#24 bemon

bemon

Brent

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 August 2020 - 18:50

I fill up my converters all the way, but larger capacity piston filler pens I usually go for a half fill. 

#25 Dimy

Dimy

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 August 2020 - 18:10

...fill up the entire converter? Or just enough to get you through whatever your writing task is?

My pens are on active rotation, but the ink rotation depends on my mood and I can go for weeks without touching a pen. And then I'd need to change the ink or clean the pen and the ink goes to waste. So now I tend to ink just a little bit unless it's a pen/ink colour I know I'll use a lot.

I stick with one pen which I will use a lot, fill it to completely with color for daily using as for less use one I go for half converter or less which allows me peace of mind of completely using ink without wastage.

#26 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,995 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 02:48

I usually fill the filler full, but sometimes I don't feel it's needed.  I began to feel some time back that there was some tyranny at work, making me fill the filler up.  I think the P 51 Vac models led me to believe it was impossible, so I felt that fill-it-up compulsion could, as an old friend used to say, "shav it in the oven."

Edited by pajaro, 27 August 2020 - 02:49.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

Sponsored Content

|