The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

When You Ink Up Your Pen Do You ...

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:55

...fill up the entire converter? Or just enough to get you through whatever your writing task is?

My pens are on active rotation, but the ink rotation depends on my mood and I can go for weeks without touching a pen. And then I'd need to change the ink or clean the pen and the ink goes to waste. So now I tend to ink just a little bit unless it's a pen/ink colour I know I'll use a lot.

Sponsored Content

#2 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,650 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:59

SInce I don't write as much as I did in the past and like to have several pens inked and in use with different inks, I rarely fill up the entire converter.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#3 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:41

I don't use many colours of ink and mostly every thing in one . The other only to highlight something. always fill the converter full.

#4 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:50

SInce I don't write as much as I did in the past and like to have several pens inked and in use with different inks, I rarely fill up the entire converter.

I never really thought of not filling it up until this very day! And I've been using FP for 40 years!

I don't use many colours of ink and mostly every thing in one . The other only to highlight something. always fill the converter full.

Ahah! I have always filled the converter up but lately I feel that it's wasteful. Why do you say to always fill it full?

#5 ardene

ardene

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 974 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:32

I do fill up the entire converter.

#6 Glenn-SC

Glenn-SC

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,262 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:58

I fill the pen completely (converter, piston, whatever)

A partial fill would waste a lot of ink and water in cleaning the residual ink out of the pen.

#7 Estycollector

Estycollector

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,118 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:32

I fill the Lamy converter completely. Also, I tend to carry two FP's for work in case one runs out of ink. I use only Waterman Serenity Blue. 

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

#8 praxim

praxim

still on twig

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 5,456 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:54

Given that my pens are entirely dry, probably for months, before they are filled again, a normal full fill action will result in about a half to three quarter fill. This happens because the collector must also be saturated and the feed filled. If the pen were wet from a previous fill, these parts would not consume some of the fill. Think of it as the filling mechanism drawing air in the first instance, even though the collector and section are immersed.

So, I fill my pens but they do not fill. This suits me perfectly. I keep four in rotation, mostly.

When you receive new information you can change your mind, or you can close it; or you can try shooting the messenger.

#9 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,216 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:40

Always fill to full.  Just seems right that way.  

#10 bayindirh

bayindirh

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:45

...fill up the entire converter? Or just enough to get you through whatever your writing task is?

My pens are on active rotation, but the ink rotation depends on my mood and I can go for weeks without touching a pen. And then I'd need to change the ink or clean the pen and the ink goes to waste. So now I tend to ink just a little bit unless it's a pen/ink colour I know I'll use a lot.

Depends. I generally rotate 2-3 pens at most, one being my EDC these pens are always filled to full and they rarely change colors/bottles. If I'm tempted to try an ink, I either half fill a cartridge or get just enough to wet a pen. If I want to put it into active rotation, that pen is refilled to full and one is retired from rotation.

Otherwise I waste too much ink.

#11 jacksterp

jacksterp

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:26

Generally speaking a full fill.

In for a penny - in for a pound.

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice; damn
There goes that fox again.

#12 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2020 - 05:06

I tend to fill the pen completely, or as completely as I can.  Pens get rotated somewhat on whim, so I may refill a pen with the same ink two or three times before swapping it out; or I might get lazy and refill with distilled water (sometimes that works and sometimes the ink on the page becomes too illegible) before flushing; or, if I dislike the ink's color or behavior (drippy/dry/cloggy/poor flow/feathering/whatever) or it's an an iron gall or pigmented ink, I may flush after a single fill.  Depends entirely on the combo of pen and ink what it will be, but I don't like partial fills.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#13 jchch1950

jchch1950

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,091 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:04

Ahah! I have always filled the converter up but lately I feel that it's wasteful. Why do you say to always fill it full?

Full with the converter in the pen.

#14 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 09:25

...fill up the entire converter?

Yes, as a matter of policy.

Or just enough to get you through whatever your writing task is?

I can only think of two (types of) occasions on which I would have a writing task that begins and ends the same day (or even within the same week): when I am doing some sort of ink testing/review/comparison, in which case the writing outcome on paper itself is not the goal of the task, or when I was preparing invitations, places cards, thank-you cards or some such for my wedding last year. I'd have to atypically have such reservations about an ink, based on its reputation/notoriety, to expect not to want to write with it at all after testing/reviewing it for normal, everyday or random writing applications.

... I can go for weeks without touching a pen. And then I'd need to change the ink or clean the pen and the ink goes to waste.

Exactly why, as the owner of the object, I always consider a fountain pen — of any make, and not just Lamy — that wouldn't prevent total evaporation and drying out of the contents of a fully-filled converter if capped and unused for three months — to be of inferior quality either in design or in manufacture/execution, even if the brand is Platinum (which I like) instead of Parker (for which I have no time whatsoever).

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#15 Charles Rice

Charles Rice

Mr. Pink

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 14:34

I go all the way.  Forces me to write more.

#16 Freddy

Freddy

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 7,644 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 July 2020 - 23:08

Sal, I just fill  'em up.

Based on what you wrote...appears you have everything under control ... 

Fred

Beware the Jabberwocky ................... .....................  ........................ ......

........................ ...................... .......................... .................... ................

#17 MHBru

MHBru

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 04:58

filled all the way

#18 KaB

KaB

Tsukiyonist

• Member - Gold

• 1,283 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 July 2020 - 05:17

I always fill them up completely. Never considered to do otherwise.

fpn_kab_tsuki_yo_most_boring_212x150.gif  Current rotation: home: Lamy Al-star 1.5, GvFC Moss Green; Lamy Vista 1.1, Diamine Oxblood; Sheaffer Touchdown 0.6, Sailor Kin-Mokusei

Case: Visconti HS EF, Sailor Kin-Mokusei; Estie 2314M, R&K Alt-Goldgrün; Lamy Studio 1.1, Diamine Ochre 

#19 DonLeone

DonLeone

Flexing heavily to the right

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 13 August 2020 - 15:47

First time using the pen I do a half fill of Lamy Blue. It's my default ink. Because every pen has had Lamy Blue in it, I can gauge how the pen would behave with other inks.

After that I tend to fill for the task at hand. My more flexible ones and ink brushes I'll fill to the max because they need the juice to keep going.

>8[ This is a grumpy. Get it? Grumpy smiley? Huehue >8[ I tend to ramble and write wallotexts. I do that.

#20 AlexLeGrande

AlexLeGrande

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 August 2020 - 19:29

As a retiree with a lot of pens, a lot of inks, and a daily journal to keep, most of my pens are dipped, not filled, and then washed clean after use.  The pens that I use the most, my "go-to's,"  filled to capacity.

Sponsored Content

|