Pen Show Updates

FarmBoy

Dear Sponsors, Vendors, Attendees and Friends of the Pen Community;

We have postponed writing this message for a time to allow for advances in the fight against COVID-19 to have an impact on the many controlling factors that govern the operation of a pen show (convention) to take place. To name them all would be a very long list but key among them are the guidance from the many local jurisdictions that govern such events across the United States. The organizers of the upcoming pen shows have discussed the options of changed schedules, modified or limited events, etc. in light of what we see before us today in order to permit those with travel plans from all over the world to have time to adjust.

In general, the current rules and conditions for meetings that would include the San Francisco International Pen Show, The Chicago Pen Show, and the Dallas Pen Show are such that the normal format of our pen shows cannot be expected to take place. Especially with the more intimate interactions needed to conduct the process of showing, holding and testing pens and inks at a pen show, social distancing, face mask requirements, and sanitizing of everyone and everything to be handled and to enforce compliance with same are key elements in our decision.

Collectively we have explored the idea of postponing or rescheduling shows, but at the present time, no one can safely predict when there will be a return to normal business and the lead times necessary to put on a great show pose an uncertainty that is not manageable.

In short, the organizers of the San Francisco, Chicago, and Dallas Pen Shows are collectively cancelling the upcoming shows for 2020 and we look forward to seeing everyone safe, happy, and healthy in 2021. We will be individually updating our websites and sending a message to our Sponsors, Vendors and Pass holders about how this affects them.

We thank you all for your support, words of encouragement, and help during this difficult time and look forward to seeing you next year.

The San Francisco International Pen Show

(August 28-30, 2020)

Ricky Chau

Syd Saperstein

Todd Eberspacher

The Chicago Pen Show

(September 10-13, 2020)

Roger Wooten

Paul Conterato

The Dallas Pen Show

(September 25-26, 2020)

Pete Kirby

Mike Walker

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• travberg

• inkstainedruth

• markh

• Paul-in-SF

:crybaby:

I get it.....What else could you do??

But next year..... :) :D :lol:

Edited by markh

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

Thank you for the announcement, although it is not a huge surprise. Getting knocked about by the crowds in the table aisles seems to be part of the charm of a pen show, and a sterile version of that, if it could be imagined, probably wouldn't be very much fun.

I am looking forward to next year all the more.

To all the Pen Shows folk who make it happen in the past and into the future, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You :notworthy1:

This extraordinary pause will allow many of us to save up $ £ ¥ and support pen shows in the future :drool:

Be well and stay safe!

Sad news indeed! Can't remember the last time I wasn't at the Dallas Pen show!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

Hmmm. Wonder what this bodes for the Commonwealth Pen Show, which was tentatively scheduled for the same weekend at the Chicago Pen Show.... I know that the announcement for Commonwealth as to yea or nay is still a month out.

It really sucks but I completely understand the reasoning. My husband and I had considered going to the rescheduled Triangle Pen Show, because our vacation got cancelled; but with the rise in cases we're reconsidering that....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Wise move and well-communicated. Looking forward to pen shows in 2021!

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

I'll just have to stock up on inventory and wait for Chicago.

Hmmm. Wonder what this bodes for the Commonwealth Pen Show, which was tentatively scheduled for the same weekend at the Chicago Pen Show.... I know that the announcement for Commonwealth as to yea or nay is still a month out.

It really sucks but I completely understand the reasoning. My husband and I had considered going to the rescheduled Triangle Pen Show, because our vacation got cancelled; but with the rise in cases we're reconsidering that....

Hi Ruth,

We are still waiting on the official word from CPS Show management (due 8/1/20). Although we are doing "well" here i Massachusetts at the moment, I think the major issue is creating a/the structure of a of good show given the current, and anticipated, limitations and circumstance to be dealt with in the near future.

FWIW, a local, very large, annual Exposition (The Big E in Springfield, MA) scheduled for September and a somewhat smaller State Fair (about 200 years old) have both been cancelled for 2020.

As I have had a table at the CPS since it began, I too am waiting "patiently" for word.

Best and stay well and safe.

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Hi Ruth,

We are still waiting on the official word from CPS Show management (due 8/1/20). Although we are doing "well" here i Massachusetts at the moment, I think the major issue is creating a/the structure of a of good show given the current, and anticipated, limitations and circumstance to be dealt with in the near future.

FWIW, a local, very large, annual Exposition (The Big E in Springfield, MA) scheduled for September and a somewhat smaller State Fair (about 200 years old) have both been cancelled for 2020.

As I have had a table at the CPS since it began, I too am waiting "patiently" for word.

I did get an email from Jim Baer today (Organizer aka Framebaer/Monomoy Pens/JB's Pen Flush)

The Show is Cancelled.

Frank

"Celebrating Eight Years of Retail Writing Excellence"

"When, in the course of writing events, in becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal"

Federalist Pens and Paper (Online Pen Store)

facelogobooks.png.7b61776c10ce24852b00693f4005dc72.png

Use Forum Code "FPN" at Checkout to Receive an Additional 5% Discount!

I did get an email from Jim Baer today (Organizer aka Framebaer/Monomoy Pens/JB's Pen Flush)

The Show is Cancelled.

Frank

Thanks for the (sad) news.

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Hi Ruth,

Yeah, because of a spike in cases the last couple of days here in Western PA, amusement parks and movie theaters have put the brakes on their planning re-openings. Bars and restaurants in the county have been ordered closed except for takeout orders, and unless you can social distance you are required to wear a mask even outdoors by order of the Governor. SCA events in western NY and central PA have been cancelled (one wasn't supposed to be till the weekend before Thanksgiving but it's a weekend event at a site with dormitory space and the site owners pulled the plug; the event was already iffy for this year because the site was supposed to be getting renovations done -- there was a discussion last fall about it Sunday morning during breakfast).

The husband of one my husband's former co-workers posted a thing on FB about how while New England is doing better, out of state visitors are being warned about jellyfish, roving packs of skunks, man-eating sharks, murder hornets, ticks out the wazoo, etc. :lol:

It is a bummer about the shows, but I'd rather stay home and stay healthy. Especially since there were people in the mall who WEREN'T wearing masks when I was there a couple of days ago -- and some MALL EMPLOYEE didn't understand how to wear a mask CORRECTLY -- at about the time when the new order from the Governor was apparently going out. I had a guy in one store claim that masks didn't really do any good -- after I had JUST seen a thing on the news where someone used a spray bottle to mimic droplets (and not just from the wearer's mouth, but also as some protection if you're wearing one).

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I doubt if there will be any pen shows until their is either a safe and effective cure for self centered carelessness and stupidity of the general public or coronavirus 19 or an inoculation that protects you from either. I believe we could have safe successful pen shows, the problem would be in staying safe in public while getting there and back and the necessary interactions with the folks in the community during the process. That said, I don't know how much enjoyment there would be in attending a pen show with appropriate social distancing, sterilizing of surfaces and not touching or exploring pens prior to purchase while minimilizing conversations. And doing so while wearing protective equipment and interacting with others, especially dealers wearing protective equipment.

My plan at this point is to only attend a pen show under current circumstances if I do not need to drive too far, that where the show is being held the public is being careful and infection spread is minimal and only attending the pre-public part of the show. As most activities here which require admission and have minimal social distancing require pre-registration, it appears that at a minimum this should be required of any show so as to enable good contact tracing if someone was to attend a show and discover later they were infectious. Also it would enable the show organizers to require appropriate personal protective gear as a requirement of participation and avoid nasty confrontations with said referenced earlier self centered, careless and stupid members of the general public who apparently don't care if a significant amount of elders and people with pre-existing medical conditions die, a smaller but still very real portion of the general population die and others get very ill as long as they don't have to take any actions that inconvenience themselves.

Edited by Parker51

I haven't been to many pen shows. This year's edition in Philadelphia was my first! It was enjoyable and I hoped to make my hometown one on Long Island, but I was fearful of crowds and traveling.

In any case, has there been any discussion or serious thought about an online edition? I would imagine with the large cancellations that there is an opportunity to do a "show" using Google Hangouts or Zoom or whatever tech people are comfy with. "It will be different", but life is different now.

Too bad something could not be done virtually somehow. I know that is a big ask and not sure how it could be done. Unfortunately a sad reflection of the times we live in.

Well,

To all the pen people, ink fans, and paper persons, please stay well!

Will see you, when I can see you,

☹️

• 2 weeks later...

Here in Philly, all large indoor events of 25 or more people are not permitted through Feb. 28, 2021. Obviously, there is no telling whether the virus will be under control then, but that at least means Philly Pen Show would not happen in January. It would be postponed, if not flat out cancelled.

I know it is totally a first world problem, but still disappointed.

I do understand that it is necessary. I prefer to maximize my chance of survival, and enjoy as many years as possible until my natural lifespan is completed. But hard not to feel bummed out.

• 2 months later...

How about a virtual pen show like through zoom or something? Looks like we are using zoom nowadays. Of course, nothing like a real experience of holding a pen and writing using different inks at the ink stations. God bless America and God help us all with COVID-19 pandemic.