The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Polishing Pelikan Barrel

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ashurbanipals Beard

Ashurbanipals Beard

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 22:30

An unfortunate side-effect of the term suddenly going virtual was that some of my pens sat unused for longer than expected. One, a lovely Pelikan, had ink in the cap which stained the barrel. A particularly thick layer of dried ink built up on the barrel where the cap ended. I took some 400 grit sandpaper to the afflicted areas and have successfully removed the stains, but now the areas are duller compared to the areas of the barrel that did not need de-staining. Is there any DIY way of restoring the luster (finer sandpaper, one hopes)?

Sponsored Content

#2 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 987 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 00:49

Micro-Mesh...

https://blog.anderso...ing-micro-mesh/

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#3 Conradandhispens

Conradandhispens

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:35

I second micro mesh. follow that up with some micro gloss and it will be good to go. 

#4 austinwft

austinwft

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:32

I second micro mesh. follow that up with some micro gloss and it will be good to go. 

On  most surface scratches I've dealt with I've found the NOVUS products to do an amazing job.

And when you follow the Novus 2 Fine Scratch Remover with the Micro-Gloss Type 1 Polish, available from both Main Street Pens and Anderson pens, you'll get an amazingly glossy finish.

https://www.amazon.c...=gateway&sr=8-1

https://andersonpens...-1-1-oz-bottle/

#5 joss

joss

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,089 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:45

Which Pelikan pen are you referring to?

Using sandpaper to remove dried ink seems a bit harsh because the ink likely did not stain the barrel permanently.

#6 mana

mana

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,319 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:17

Another vote for Micro-Mesh followed by Micro-Gloss, have touched up a number of vintage pens (celluloid & acrylic) using that combination.

Just go easy and move from more coarse to finer grits while checking the results often and you should be good to go. Final polish with a soft cloth loaded with Micro-Gloss type 1 like austinwft said.

From what I understand Novus should work too but I have not used those products myself.

#7 eachan

eachan

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:35

I use Novus for scratch removal.  Used as a system, from No3 to No1 it does a splendid job.

400 grit sandpaper!!!

Regards,

Eachan

#8 Ashurbanipals Beard

Ashurbanipals Beard

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2020 - 00:32

Thanks, everyone! I've just ordered micro-mesh from AP and will give this a go!

Sponsored Content

|