The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How To Use Swan 'military' Pen ?

6 replies to this topic

#1 shalitha33

shalitha33

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:53

Ended up with the following swan military style pen. Unfortunately I don't have any of the instructions or the box that goes with it. 

fpn_1593479555__img_20200630_125116.jpg

Pen barrel contains two compartments which looks to be not connected with each other (as far as i can see). Pen diessembles to 3 parts that are screwed in.

fpn_1593480551__img_20200630_130422.jpg

Unfortunately the ink making system that screws out at the end of the pen is badly damaged with a crack going through about 1/3rd the way across. Everything is holding together though and seems usable. Sadly I don't have any of the ink tablets that are supposed to be used with this pen :(.

If i am to use this as an eyedropper, do i just fill in the front compartment with ink?  I have no idea how this pen is supposed to work. Odd shape of the end part doesn't feel optimal if its just for ink tablet storage. forward compartment of the barrel has threads that goes way too deep compared to whats needed for the section. I can securely screw in the end part in to the forward section as well. 

fpn_1593481931__img_20200630_135039.jpg

Any info on how to use this pen properly is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Content

#2 shalitha33

shalitha33

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:08

sorry about the double posting :(

[moderator edit - I merged the two - Greenie]

Edited by Greenie, 30 June 2020 - 04:52.

#3 IThinkIHaveAProblem

IThinkIHaveAProblem

(⌐■_■)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:18

looks like a trench pen to me

Very nice! congrats!

http://www.richardsp.../war_and_fp.htm

Just give me the Parker 51s and nobody needs to get hurt.

#4 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:49

It should be a standard dropper filler. The rear end chamber is just there to hold ink tablets. That way, you could refill the pen by putting an ink tablet inside the barrel via the unscrewed section, and then add some water.  The ink pellet storage on the rear end should only unscrew enough to expose the side hole, and then some type of mechanism stop the part from unscrewing on my two examples of "military" pens by Swan. I am not familiar with how that parts stops unscrewing. I have never wanted to force mine open further.

I have not seen the entire rear end come off like that. 

With the rear knob removed, is the pen still sealed on the inside of the barrel in a way that you could add liquid via the section end and it will still hold the liquid?

Edited by Greenie, 30 June 2020 - 04:55.

#5 shalitha33

shalitha33

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 05:19

Thank you both for the reading link and for the info :).

As far as i can see pen barrel is sealed even when the end part is removed. it unscrew easily for the first bit until the circular opening is fully outside. It gets a bit tight to unscrew after that (probably due to vacuum its generating). There is sort of a blind cap and a cut-out channel around it . This pen probably is missing some parts that may be there to prevent it from fully unscrewing. that would explain the circular channel and the strange shape of the end piece..

fpn_1593494134__img_20200630_165941.jpg

fpn_1593494184__img_20200630_170516.jpg

i haven't tried filling it with ink /water. but when viewed both ends do look fully sealed. 

fpn_1593494162__img_20200630_170349.jpg

Sorry about the terrible image quality :(.

#6 Greenie

Greenie

Collectors Item

• FPN Mabie Todd Group Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 20:09

I really appreciate that I have finally learned what is inside of the end of a Military Swan pen!  These really are just dropper filled pens with a compartment to store ink tablets.  On the Moore non leakable pen, the ink table storage is in the top of the cap.  And there is a Parker that is a dropper filled pen, but it has a blind cap just like the Duofold. But under the blind cap is just a space to store ink tablets.

For your pen shown here, you only ever should unscrew it until it gets a little tight. Never a reason to keep unscrewing further, except  to teach us all about what is inside!

That crack can be glued with LocTite 480. It will work well since this part does not hold ink, and is not under any significant stress.  After you glue the crack, let it cure for a day. You can then apply a little more coating of that glue inside and out and let it cure.  Then just screw the pen back together and you are good!

#7 shalitha33

shalitha33

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 22:22

Thank you for the advice :).

i guess there must have been a rubber washer of some form  (i am assuming) originally to fit in to the gap at the back . That way once the end part is screwed in for the first time, it will only allow it to screw out for the width of the cutout. Cutout seems to be the same size as what needs to extend out to expose the opening.

I will sort out the issue with the cracked part . Thanks again for the advice on using LocTite 480. Since i am not going to be getting ink ink tablets , i can keep that compartment closed and not touch it unless i am showing it to some one else.

Thanks again. 

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|