• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A Smug Dill

• corgicoupe

• MisterSheaffer

• peroride

I don't think anyone's mentioned the Kaweco Liliput. But it's such a fiddly screw post that I hardly ever use mine.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

The Pineider La Grande Bellezza has a magnetic cap that works with the cap posted, too. I post my Kaweco pocket pens but that's about it. I don't like the extra weight up there. But anyway the Pineider is designed to post properly and does.

SfA2F91.jpg

A few more great posters:

-Dupont Montparnasse, Olympio, Fidelio... their balance is almost miraculous as is the way the caps (though heavy) retain balance and add very little length when posted.

-Caran d'Ache Geneve (for me, the Léman is better unposted but Geneve is better posted)

-Graf von Faber Castell Intuition (at least the resin version, I can't speak to the Platino wood version)

-

Edited by seimodern

Waterman 452 1/2V

A scant 92 mm long capped, it extends to a very comfortable 127 mm posted, and the cap is stable even though the posting length (fluted for grip) is only 7.5 mm long.

Great pen. Silver, 1925, one of my top tier pens and one of only a few I post, from necessity alone.

X

• Waterman Exclusive

• Wing Sung 699
  • Sheaffer Skripsert
  • Esterbrook Dollar
  • Pilot Metropolitan
  • Pilot Petit 1
  • Pilot Scholar
  • Baoer 388

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I think the Pilot Prera hasn’t been included with the other many Pilots mentioned.

"We can become expert in an erroneous view" --Tenzin Wangyal Rinoche

Parker 51 and Lamy 2000 feel just right when posted.

Most others I prefer unposted.

Each to their own though!

Much like the Parker 51, the Parker VS posts very well.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

The Montblanc Mozart posts (it screws on) and is an absolutely delightful weight and balance (for me). I also quite like the Kaweco lilliput, which posts using a screw top as well. I like to use the lilliput when I'm in a meadow identifying wildflowers or writing on a bench. It fits perfectly in my pockets with my keys.

Other than that, the only pens I use posted are aforementioned the Sailor Pro gear slim and 1911S, the 3776 and the Pelikan 400 and the 600, all of which are perfect posted or unposted.

• 3 weeks later...

Pens like the Pelikan m200 post at two different places inside the cap. So my barrel has two circles of wear from posting the cap. For me this is the gold standard of posting - absolutely no wobble, and the cap doesn't have to be jammed on. I also noticed this on my pilots - the Custom 74 posts on one locus, and wobbles slightly when pressed sideways, while the 742 posts one two, like the m200, and is rock stable. Clearly a differentiating feature.

Ps thanks for touching on this important topic!

If a pen doesn't post well and feel "right" to me when posted, I won't use it much, an obvious exception being the Pilot Capless Decimo (and their other retractables).

But one "meant to post" pen that I don't see above is the Montblanc Noblesse Oblige, which has a nice snap post design.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

In truth, I don't post much. Even my Pilot Prera doesn't get posted much, and it's really rather small. But the following pens all post well, and have not been previously mentioned.

FPR Jaipur v1 (only in vegetal resin) push post.

FPR Darjeeling, push post
MontBlanc 72, push post
Noodler's Konrad, push post (if you can find one that doesn't dry out)
Sheaffer Viewpoint, push post (this is the horrible "update" to the NNP Sheaffer uses for their calligraphy sets, with a friction fit cap, a rubber section cover, and HUGE, GARGANTUAN barrel cutouts to make the cartridge ink supply visible)

These might not meet the OP's requirements.

Pilot Prera -- a push poster. You have to push enough for the soft, flexible inner cap to engage the barrel finial for it to post securely.
Parker Vector, push post (though I think that makes it too long)
The Platinum Plaisir posts well, but it does have a large and obtrusive cap band, which has never bothered me.
Waterman Phileas, push post (it has a thick cap lip that has never bothered me)

I think the Pilot Prera's one of the best posting pens. It's basically made for it.

It caps and posts very easily so it requires little effort, but stays well, making it a quick pen to post and cap.

And the balance is superb when posted without any threads in the way of gripping.

My only problem with the Prera is that it's not comfortable unposted.

• 2 years later...

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but GREAT posting is one of my most desired qualities in a pen so I appreciate this list! I agree with a lot of the above and will add a couple more I recently acquired:

- Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 (push)

- Montblanc 220 (push)

- Parker Vacumatic Major (push) - not the most exquisite posting experience, but it is secure enough and the pen just feels RIGHT in my hand when it is posted 

- Jinhao 80 (push) - Lamy 2000 homage, posts nearly as well

I have a variety of brands and models, and I'd say that my list of pens which DON'T post well is much smaller than the list of pens which DO post well....  

Yes, I'm a poster....  OTOH, my husband is NOT, so while I've promised him a few vintage pens, he seems happy with with the Vanishing Point -- no cap for him to lose! :rolleyes:

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

that I own:

(all push post)

Sheaffer flat top screw cap No Nonsense**

Esterbrook "J" (transitional?)

Waterman's Dauntless

Parker Super 21

Hero 616

Jinhao 51A (wood barrel, non-hooded)

Jinhao 95 (stealth black version)

Jinhao 992

**I'll guess the later flat top and angle top No Nonsense pens with push-on caps, with or without a 🤬 ink window, would also qualify.

I leave all my push-on cap No Nonsense pens un-inked as I prefer the earlier screw-on cap pens, so I cannot say for sure. 

MB149 and MB146

Parker Vacumatics

Sheaffer Balance Oversize models

Sheaffer Triumph

Sheaffer PFM

Pelikan M800 and M1000

Waterman Le Man 100

Waterman Laureat

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time