The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sailor Possibly Being Bought Out

sailor

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#61 tosakarinn

tosakarinn

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2020 - 13:26

Max dog please listen to the episode. Cross is not buying Sailor.

Sailors operations are in Kure aka middle of nowhere. They lack the ability to acquire talent in the same way that pilot and platinum are (hq in tokyo) in terms of marketing, design, etc for their office functions.

The Plus acquisition will streamline their product offering. Some product lineups such as the Sigma and as aforementioned promenade will probably bite the dust, as well as some Realo models Im guessing. Plus is a very experienced company in stationery. Its not some random acquisition. In fact Sailor has done several collaborations with Plus already. The point is sku reduction and streamlining the assortment like tom ford did for Gucci.

Sponsored Content

#62 gary

gary

Kalamazoo direct to you

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 18:10

Why do Americans rush to make cultural value judgements about Japan?

Why do Americans rush to make cultural value judgments about America?

#63 nibtip

nibtip

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 July 2020 - 18:30

For the same reason Japanese do not rush to make cultural
Judgments about japan. Nor Chinese etc...
Im not French, but I read French. They spend their time in self-flagellation.

#64 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,155 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 19:06

Why do you assume we are all "Americans"?  Why do you assume that we rush to cultural value "judgements"?  I have multiple good friends and a relative living in Japan, and I've done a fair share of reading about it and its culture, and nothing of what I said is not the unbiased reality.  It has nothing to do with judgements.  Mke actually lives in Japan.  I think it's more "American" to just jump to conclusions nowadays and label everyone judgemental without looking carefully at what is said and considering the context.

Im not assuming. Its happening here in this thread.

I dont give anyone a pass for living in Japan. Some of the biggest chauvinists ive met were Westerners living in Japan.

Sorry for not writing Westerners originally, not that it makes any big difference.

#65 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,448 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 21:46

Max dog please listen to the episode. Cross is not buying Sailor.

Sailors operations are in Kure aka middle of nowhere. They lack the ability to acquire talent in the same way that pilot and platinum are (hq in tokyo) in terms of marketing, design, etc for their office functions.

The Plus acquisition will streamline their product offering. Some product lineups such as the Sigma and as aforementioned promenade will probably bite the dust, as well as some Realo models Im guessing. Plus is a very experienced company in stationery. Its not some random acquisition. In fact Sailor has done several collaborations with Plus already. The point is sku reduction and streamlining the assortment like tom ford did for Gucci.

What makes you say that about the Realo (it is, by some distance, my favorite Sailor)?
Too many pens; too little writing.

#66 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• 2,462 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:51

I agree with tosakarinn that being under review by Plus could be a chance for Sailor. Let's wait and hope. I hope e.g. that they come to understand what an asset it is to have loyal customers. Presales marketing is something Sailor didn't get yet. Newsletters with information about new models would be nice. Unfortunately, that is not how Japanese think. For them it is more, we don't care where you get the info from.

Questions to customer support was ALWAYS answered by people from Pilot, sometimes by those of Platinum and NEVER by Sailor - in Japanese, not in English!!

I could tell more stories about Japanese business life but I better let it.

gyasko
How long does someone needs to live in Japan before he gets the ok from you to judge Japanese behavior?
Would 30 years be enough? Or is this still too much "rush"?

Edited by mke, 11 July 2020 - 09:58.

#67 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,462 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:56

> What makes you say that about the Realo (it is, by some distance, my favorite Sailor)?

I guess tosakarinn thinks about the mentioned high error rate during production. If that error rate is really true, than we might see a (temporary) production stop until they have found a solution. I remember hearing that there were rumors about problems with KoP piston filler too.

Edited by mke, 11 July 2020 - 09:57.

#68 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US.

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:05

Questions to customer support was ALWAYS answered by people from Pilot, sometimes by those of Platinum and NEVER by Sailor - in Japanese, not in English!!

Actually, Sailor was the only one out of the three that gave me a reply in writing (or at all), in English and promptly at that, when Rakuten Global Express was playing silly buggers last year and demanded that I provide it with MSDS documentation for not just bottled ink, but also fountain pens, that it has received from retailers on my behalf, or it will flatly refuse to ship the items to me and either return them or dispose of them at my additional expense.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#69 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 16:15

>  I remember hearing that there were rumors about problems with KoP piston filler too.

I thought all KoPs were cartridge/converter. My two certainly are and with a standard Sailor converter.

Peter

#70 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• 2,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 16:25

[Snip....]

[Snip....]

Last week I emailed Sailor several questions about my KOP and responded in a day in English answering all my questions.

:)

Mark

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

* Please check out my current listings *

#71 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 17:19

I thought all KoPs were cartridge/converter.

Not exactly all, if you are patient, hunt keenly and are prepared to pay through the breather hole to get one. http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/116157-sailor-95th-anniversary-realo/

Edited by A Smug Dill, 11 July 2020 - 17:20.

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#72 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 July 2020 - 17:50

Not exactly all, if you are patient, hunt keenly and are prepared to pay through the breather hole to get one. http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/116157-sailor-95th-anniversary-realo/

That explains why I hadn't heard of it, thanks for that information. Probably won't be getting one though. :(

Peter

#73 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,448 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:19

Sailor's ex-Japan customer service is in a different league. I had some tarnishing on some clips, sent off an email here in the UK and following an immediate reply, they swapped out the clips and furniture for a token fee.

Tried something similar with Pilot and they gave some vague non-answers and then stopped replying.

#74 mongrelnomad

mongrelnomad

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,448 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 22:20

That explains why I hadn't heard of it, thanks for that information. Probably won't be getting one though. :(

They're unicorns. I've been looking for one for nigh on a decade, to no avail.

#75 Matlock

Matlock

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,732 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 05:11

Theyre unicorns. Ive been looking for one for nigh on a decade to no avail.

So I won't hold my breath then.

Peter

#76 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,462 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:03

> I emailed Sailor
which Sailor? in Japan? in Europe? in UK? in US?

#77 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

• 4,143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:31

> I emailed Sailor

In my case, kaigai@bungu.sailor.co.jp per the 'Contact Us' page on the Sailor.com web site, since I was having issues with getting my purchases shipped from Japan after buying them from a Japanese seller. The reply came from that address, too.

#78 ArchiMark

ArchiMark

Pen Nut & Pretty Good Guy

• Premium - Ruby

• 2,798 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 July 2020 - 13:08

> I emailed Sailor

Overseas Division <kaigai@bungu.sailor.co.jp> as per contact info on Sailor website for people outside Japan.

FP Addict & Pretty Nice Guy

* Please check out my current listings *

#79 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 2,462 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 22:38

OK, I see. I mailed them at their Japanese address - in Japanese - but telling them my real name.

Recently, I started using a fake Japanese name with a Japanese email address for questions to Japanese companies. The response is MUCH better than when I'm using my real name.

Edited by mke, 12 July 2020 - 23:34.

#80 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 607 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 July 2020 - 09:58

Sailor's trying something slightly new with the Compass 1911: 

https://www.gouletpe...1-fountain-pens

Though, it seems to be basically the 1911 version of the Lecoule which is analogous to the Progear Slim, I believe.

I would love to see something more along the lines of a Salior 1911L Steel nib type pen... but I'm curious about the Compass 1911.

Edited by Mongoosey, 14 July 2020 - 09:59.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sailor

Sponsored Content

|