Your Most Recent Impulsive Ink Purchase? (Replacement Bottles Don't Count.. Only 1St Timers!)

MHBru

Waterman Serenity Blue.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Misfit

• inkstainedruth

• Penguincollector

• DilettanteG

I have trouble committing to bottles, so I keep ordering samples.

But, inspired by the 5 Best Diamine Inks thread, and to make up enough to get free shipping from JetPens, I ordered a bottle each of Majestic Blue and Sherwood Green.

But, inspired by the 5 Best Diamine Inks thread, and to make up enough to get free shipping from JetPens,

Surely it'd be cheaper to order Diamine ink from Cult Pens, especially when you're ordering a Pelikan M120 from them and the discounted price of the pen alone will meet the free international shipping threshold?

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Surely it'd be cheaper to order Diamine ink from Cult Pens, especially when you're ordering a Pelikan M120 from them and the discounted price of the pen alone will meet the free international shipping threshold?

Sigh. Indeed it would have been, but you're assuming that I'm going about this logically (rather than impulsively)...

ETA: but I'm still going to justify it by figuring that I wanted that Kokuyo notebook cover, and if I hadn't added the ink, I would have paid $9 in shipping, so instead I paid $3 in shipping (the difference between the ink price at JetPens and CultPens, sob, minus the shipping cost), and I'm getting ink. Or something like that.

Edited by brokenclay

The great-great-great grandchildren I don't have yet obviously need more ink than I currently have. Though I don't quite have as many as "Dill", I can still float a bowling ball. Impulses are a mighty pesty problem, like that itch you just have to scratch. For me, they have been coming back to back to back. First, Endless Pens sent me a notice about a bottle of GVFC Cognac Brown for 10 dollars. Got to have it and I'm not the biggest fan of lighter browns. Then, Luxury Brands sent an Instagram about 16oz. bottles of Noodler's. Found one at Vanness and one at Pen Chalet. That stung a bit but now the people that will handle my estate will have a lifetime of BSIAR and Proctor's Ledge. Then, as if this wasn't bad enough, Goldspot had de Atramentis on sale. 5 Bottles later, I'm exhausted and my index fingers hurt from hitting the "My Cart" button. Since I have the ink, I'll write a note to put on the laptop and the desktop to "Cut it OUT!!!!!".

The Platinum Classic Ink line, in Citrus, Cassis, and Lavender. They aren't particularly practical for me, but I just love the IG color changes and they're so fun that I couldn't resist. I love their shading and color-darkening properties, and they write so nicely for me. I want to have a Citrus Black inked up just because, and probably the same for the others, even though I can't think of an use case for them.

I want to have a Citrus Black inked up just because, and probably the same for the others, even though I can't think of an use case for them.

Don't you write anything by hand that's for personal use, as opposed to government forms, company paperwork and/or "official use only" documents that the respective "owners" of the artefacts could impose the requirement that all writing must be done in black or blue ink?

To me, writing a (say, level 2) heading in Deep Dark Orange or a gold-sheening purple ink for content on paper that is for my own consumption or reference -- whether that's a personal journal or notes for work -- is a legitimate use case, even if the incidence is relatively low and may not warrant always having that colour inked in a pen and ready to write. However, once one has about as many individual pens as he has different inks, and the pens can be trusted not to allow the ink to evaporate and dry out when capped and unusued for weeks, then it doesn't really matter how often the use case occurs. My Pelikan M200 Gold-Marbled is largely dedicated to Platinum Classic Ink Citrus Black these days, even though it and Cassis Black are probably among my least favourite out of the seven commonly/commercially available Platinum iron-gall inks.

Platinum Khaki Black and Blue-Black come first, Lavender Black next, then Forest Black, and then Cassis Black and Citrus Black. Sepia Black looks too close to Khaki Black, so I never bought a bottle of it to try, given its relatively high price.

Having fallen in love with Bad Belted Kingfisher and Bad Blue Heron (🙏🏼Thanks amberleadavis🙏🏼) Ive uncharacteristically gone for the full retina burn and ordered a bottle of Noodlers Baystate Blue. Should arrive on Monday 😊

Don't you write anything by hand that's for personal use, as opposed to government forms, company paperwork and/or "official use only" documents that the respective "owners" of the artefacts could impose the requirement that all writing must be done in black or blue ink?

To me, writing a (say, level 2) heading in Deep Dark Orange or a gold-sheening purple ink for content on paper that is for my own consumption or reference -- whether that's a personal journal or notes for work -- is a legitimate use case, even if the incidence is relatively low and may not warrant always having that colour inked in a pen and ready to write. However, once one has about as many individual pens as he has different inks, and the pens can be trusted not to allow the ink to evaporate and dry out when capped and unusued for weeks, then it doesn't really matter how often the use case occurs. My Pelikan M200 Gold-Marbled is largely dedicated to Platinum Classic Ink Citrus Black these days, even though it and Cassis Black are probably among my least favourite out of the seven commonly/commercially available Platinum iron-gall inks.

Platinum Khaki Black and Blue-Black come first, Lavender Black next, then Forest Black, and then Cassis Black and Citrus Black. Sepia Black looks too close to Khaki Black, so I never bought a bottle of it to try, given its relatively high price.

Most of my writing is of a nature that I get to choose the ink color, but I find myself almost universally sticking with a single color for the majority of my work. I don't "mix and match" inks in my writing very much, and I haven't really gel'd much with the idea. I've only just recently begun using more than one pen at a time to do most of my writing, and even that is only after using a broad edged pen as my primary, which makes having a UEF and a brush pen useful as auxiliary pens (for drawing lines and headings). Even then, all three are inked with Platinum Blue Black right now. I'm not sure how I might introduce the other inks into the rotation in a way that wouldn't make me think "rainbow vomit" on the page. I'm pretty boring with respect to tending towards a monochrome page.

• 1 month later...

Added a bottle of Iroshizuku Momiji to an Amazon order after my daughter noted my ink collection was lacking a pink.

A bottle of Montblanc Elixir Pourpre but, to get free shipping, added Violet de Cobalt as well.

If the citrus gets watered with all the unwanted ink, is a lemon still a lemon if it is purple?

Monteverde Iced Cookie. I'm obsessed with that ink for some reason. Everything about it is so pleasant, from packaging and label, to the name, to the color. Is it okay to think about an ink being super cute and wanting to give it a hug? If so, this one is Adorable. :P

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Otto Hutt, 30 ml bottle in Permanent Black. Just for the bottle. As I already have Kiwa Guro & MB Permanent Black.

after a local news story about our local B&M store, Vroman's in Pasadena I ordered a bottle of iroshizuku murasaki-shikibu to support them,

Well, besides a full bottle of Robert Oster Grey Seas, and a small bottle of Diamine Pelham Blue Burst (because sadly, a 80 ml bottle was out of stock at Vanness) I'm also getting samples of Akkerman Delfts Blue, Diamine 150th Lilac Night, Robert Oster GoGo and Tokyo Blue Denim, KWXI IG Violet #2, and J Herbin 350th Vert Atlantide. Oh, and one of the new colors of Pilot Falcons, with a soft fine nib, and a replacement nib for one of my Noodler's Konrads, which got borked in disassembly a while back.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

ETA: I'm going to claim that Grey Seas and Pelham Blue don't count as "replacements" because I only had had samples of them before, not full bottles....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Oops -- dreaded double post....

Edited by inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 3 years later...

I needed to get free shipping, so after searching several items, it was Waterman Serenity Blue on a cyber Monday sale. 

Posted Image

I was searching for Ink that is Turquoise , with fast delivery and no local delivery charges.
Mostly only the Sailor, Iroshizuku inks came out.
I ended up impulsively bought a bottle of Sailor yamadori (yes, I have never bought it, when you can get it way too easy, you tend to put it on the end of the list) 
and a bottle of Mita Sanshodou Olive.
Today Olive arrived and it was amazing. That shade is perfect and the shading is good , still waiting for Yamadori

I couldn't resist getting a bottle each of TACCIA Ukiyo-e Sharaku Koiame and Sharaku Natane at half price, although I'd always passed them over before, on account of their questionable water resistance. I was cleaning out all of Bunbougu's heavily discounted stock of Maruman Mnemosyne N183 notebooks (at a price cheaper than I could get them in Tokyo), and needed to top my order up to reach the free shipping threshold anyhow; and there are only so many colours in the Ukiyo-e line that I don't already have.

However, the most impulsive — and most recent at that — would be the bottle of Utamaro Benizakura, which I expect to have even worse water resistance. I'd already placed my order with Bunbougu overnight, and it wasn't until the middle of the following morning that I decided to have one of the two bottles of Sharaku Kurocha (of which I already have an open bottle at home) substituted, and contacted customer service to see whether they could catch my order to make the change before it got packed and dispatched.

All of those arrived earlier today, I believe; I haven't cut open the shipping carton yet to inspect.

Edited by A Smug Dill