New Lamy Ideos.

jchch1950

Yes, not crazy about that either aesthetically, but I think it's more comfortable for holding securely that way.

I meant the taper getting stronger before the end of the section before it flares up a bit at the end. That kind of taper is the same as in Lamy 2000 and makes it feel like the pen tries to "escape" from your grip if you are one of those folks who likes to grip the pen close to the nib (like me). So, for me it doesn't make it feel comfortable or secure in that case.

That said, the section flares up a bit so that might alleviate that problem to a degree. I much prefer a straight taper and gentle flaring back up again (the way Pelikan has them).

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mana

• jchch1950

• Intensity

• bayindirh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'd save any judgement until actually handling the pen. To quote my industrial designer friend: "Ergonomics can be ugly".

While there is some truth to that (fyi: I am a product designer by trade) that sentence used in this context discounts peoples personal experiences with pens with similar shapes and material choices. The beauty is naturally in the eye of the beholder but most people who have objected to that pen here have done so not because of what the pen looks like but instead because of their negative experiences with slippy metallic grips.

I think what your friend meant was this: a solution that is ergonomic does not necessarily have to be aesthetically pleasing.

Think of pens with oversized and heavily sculpted and contoured soft rubber (read: ergonomic) sections that allow people with low grip strength, or other issues such as arthritis, to use them. They might look hideous as heck to most people but they do work a treat.

Or hey, then there is one of my favorite airplanes of all times, the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II.

Most people seem to like airplanes that look like elegant and sleek creatures that go fast and look the part.
For them the A-10 seems ugly as heck but when it comes to sheer functionality, survivability, handling and operational prowess such as giving close air support to friendly troops, say, in the form of raining hellfire down on Daesh and the like, well, it simply can not be beaten. What a lovely and elegant thing it is in its own right.

Quite often the opposite also holds true, an aesthetically pleasing design is only that and not ergonomic at all. There also your friend's saying holds true but just in reverse.

Metal section probably a no go for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I meant the taper getting stronger before the end of the section before it flares up a bit at the end. That kind of taper is the same as in Lamy 2000 and makes it feel like the pen tries to "escape" from your grip if you are one of those folks who likes to grip the pen close to the nib (like me). So, for me it doesn't make it feel comfortable or secure in that case.

That said, the section flares up a bit so that might alleviate that problem to a degree. I much prefer a straight taper and gentle flaring back up again (the way Pelikan has them).

I know what you mean about Lamy 2000 section -- I also find it less than comfortable, though I've grown used to it. What I meant was that flaring out/tapering out at the very end where the nib is located--to me that's not aesthetically pleasing. But that additional flare out is probably what makes the section a bit more comfortable to hold. My FPR Himalaya has a section with a strong flare-out toward the tip, which gives me a lot of security and control over the pen grip. This tiny and sharp bit of section flaring out on the Ideos better be compensating for the double negative: the smooth metal section and the curved negative slope of the grip.

FPR Himalaya, image source:

/ credit: Pen Mania Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

While there is some truth to that (fyi: I am a product designer by trade) that sentence used in this context discounts peoples personal experiences with pens with similar shapes and material choices. The beauty is naturally in the eye of the beholder but most people who have objected to that pen here have done so not because of what the pen looks like but instead because of their negative experiences with slippy metallic grips.

I think what your friend meant was this: a solution that is ergonomic does not necessarily have to be aesthetically pleasing.

Think of pens with oversized and heavily sculpted and contoured soft rubber (read: ergonomic) sections that allow people with low grip strength, or other issues such as arthritis, to use them. They might look hideous as heck to most people but they do work a treat.

Or hey, then there is one of my favorite airplanes of all times, the Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt II.

Most people seem to like airplanes that look like elegant and sleek creatures that go fast and look the part. For them the A-10 seems ugly as heck but when it comes to sheer functionality, survivability, handling and operational prowess such as giving close air support to friendly troops, say, in the form of raining hellfire down on Daesh and the like, well, it simply can not be beaten. What a lovely and elegant thing it is in its own right.

Quite often the opposite also holds true, an aesthetically pleasing design is only that and not ergonomic at all. There also your friend's saying holds true but just in reverse.

Thanks for your answer. I didn't mean to belittle people's experience or taste. They are equally as valid as the ergonomics of an object. It might be the perfect little thing for the job, and people may not use it because of its color. That's OK for me.

I just wanted to underline that looks can be deceiving. To be honest, I love Lamy. Especially Safari et al. and their triangular grips. I always thought that dad's Cross century would be a very uncomfortable little pen because it was too thin and had a shiny (albeit plastic) section. After being proficient in maintaining pens, dad wanted me to service his pen and, after maintaining and testing that thin Century, I went and bought a CP-1 a week later because, that Cross Century was so comfortable. Now, CP-1 is my grail pen.

After that experience, I learnt not to judge an item by its photo. People may not like the new Ideos. I respect that however for me, the pen's form looks attractive and teardrop shape is a nice homage to Safari's triangular grip. Its perceived thickness may be similar to CP-1 too. I also have a very light but firm grip and nothing slips from my hand for the most of the time. As a result I'll decide about my feelings about Ideos after testing it. On the other hand, I want to re-iterate I didn't want to impose an opinion on anybody else but, wanted to warn that the pen might feel and write much better than people expect and, their opinion might change.

BTW, I love A-10. It's a very unique plane and engineering concept. It also looks very nice and functional if you ask me.

Thanks for your answer. I didn't mean to belittle people's experience or taste. They are equally as valid as the ergonomics of an object. It might be the perfect little thing for the job, and people may not use it because of its color. That's OK for me.

I just wanted to underline that looks can be deceiving. To be honest, I love Lamy. Especially Safari et al. and their triangular grips. I always thought that dad's Cross century would be a very uncomfortable little pen because it was too thin and had a shiny (albeit plastic) section. After being proficient in maintaining pens, dad wanted me to service his pen and, after maintaining and testing that thin Century, I went and bought a CP-1 a week later because, that Cross Century was so comfortable. Now, CP-1 is my grail pen.

After that experience, I learnt not to judge an item by its photo. People may not like the new Ideos. I respect that however for me, the pen's form looks attractive and teardrop shape is a nice homage to Safari's triangular grip. Its perceived thickness may be similar to CP-1 too. I also have a very light but firm grip and nothing slips from my hand for the most of the time. As a result I'll decide about my feelings about Ideos after testing it. On the other hand, I want to re-iterate I didn't want to impose an opinion on anybody else but, wanted to warn that the pen might feel and write much better than people expect and, their opinion might change.

BTW, I love A-10. It's a very unique plane and engineering concept. It also looks very nice and functional if you ask me.

And now in turn I get to thank you for posting. I totally agree with you that looks can indeed be deceiving and we can sell ourselves short if we work based solely on our initial, and in this case potentially false (as we are talking of photos instead of the actual thing) perceptions of things.

I have said this before but there have been a number of pens I liked and wanted to like based on looks alone but which turned out to be major disappointments when I actually got to handle them, even vintage classics too such as Parker Vacumatics, Lamy 2000 etc.

Then again some pens have surprised me like the Lamy Safari/AL-Star/LX, they are actually very pleasant pens in use with great, albeit modern feeling, nibs.

But yeah, that is how you learn what you actually like or dislike, gain that experience.

So... reserving ones judgment until having actually handled that pen might indeed be wise. But then again, that might make for a dull conversation until those Ideos are actually available and in peoples hands so there is a balance to be struck and a context in which peoples comments need to be regarded in. We are all just shooting the breeze here.

So, lets continue chatting. ;)

The videos are beautifully made, a treat for the eyes, which is wonderful when introducing the LE colors of a well known design.

However, it would be nice to have a size comparison between the Ideos, the Studio, the Aion, the Scala and the Al-Star.

It could be an informal video or, a series of pictures taken at the HQ or, at one of the stores, with a self healing mat or, some kind of grid paper, to be used as a background.

I have a Studio, which is the most perfect pen.

I bought the LE Blue Aion, I used its tester twin and found it wonderful. But, the section is too wide for long writing sessions.

It took me many years of pocking around on this forum and, watching videos by retailers, to find out that the Scala's girth, was too thin for me.

I don't want to wait that long for the Ideos, hence the suggestion of the video or pictures comparison of the pens.

Edited by Anne-Sophie

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

The Lamy Ideos has lovely aesthetics, but I'm like the others: A metal grip and convex shaped section ruins it for me.

I wish Lamy would move away from that convex section and make something new and different instead of mimicking the Lamy 2000 in that way.

I use the Studio and Scala and other brands with metal grip section and never had any problems with it,

Design wise is looks very interesting

I use the Studio as well with no problems. Which I find ironic because I can't hold any of the matte Safaris; something about the matte finish makes my hand slip right to the edge of the section and causes my hand to cramp in a matter of moments.

The more I look at the Ideos, the more I'm intrigued by it. If it's not a short pen, and not as thin as the CP1, I'll probably buy it for use in the studio.

I think its great that Lamy continues to introduce new pens - not just new colors, but actual new designs by accomplished designers. I have come to love my blue aion for the simplicity of its design and materials, and also for the nib, which combines elements of a fp and rollerball.

I dont like all of their designs, especially if they seem too decorative, and the ideos might fall in that category. Wait and see.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

• 2 weeks later...

I rather enjoy the grip on my Studio. Maybe it's because I don't have sweaty or oily skin...

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice; damn

There goes that fox again.

• 2 months later...

Then again some pens have surprised me like the Lamy Safari/AL-Star/LX, they are actually very pleasant pens in use with great, albeit modern feeling, nibs.

Very true -- early on I tried someone's Safari and didn't think I could used to the section. But then someone sent me a Jinhao 599, a Safari/al-Star clone, and I was surprised at how comfortable it was to hold. That then led me to my first Safari (the Dark Lilac) and then to (when their old US distributor had a closeout sale) the Ruthenium LX. Added one of the Violet Safaris and a closeout Vibrant Pink al-Star this past spring. All with different nibs, just for fun (Fine, Medium, Broad and 1.1 mm stub, respectively). And am completely sold on them....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Very true -- early on I tried someone's Safari and didn't think I could used to the section. But then someone sent me a Jinhao 599, a Safari/al-Star clone, and I was surprised at how comfortable it was to hold. That then led me to my first Safari (the Dark Lilac) and then to (when their old US distributor had a closeout sale) the Ruthenium LX. Added one of the Violet Safaris and a closeout Vibrant Pink al-Star this past spring. All with different nibs, just for fun (Fine, Medium, Broad and 1.1 mm stub, respectively). And am completely sold on them....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I know you don't like them, but the Vista is lots of fun for me. I agree with you, I am completely sold on the Lamy entry level pens and especially with the converter.

"Respect science, respect nature, respect all people (s),"

• 1 year later...
On 9/23/2020 at 4:41 AM, sentience said:

LAMY Ideos has just been delayed until 2021. :(

Finally landing in late October so posted at PenChalet and Appelboom. No weight spec but description notes brass housing so I'm thinking Aion heavy. Heck it uses Aion's nib. Pics show posted so I wonder how the balance is going to be with brass and that massive clip. I hope the EOOS designers were not bulky bodybuilders else this would be more of a signature pen than a workhorse.

I just looked at a couple of the pics of the Ideos.  I quite like the look of it.  Simple, subtle and understated.  Just the way that I like my pens.  I'll take a closer look, when it's in the shops (and I'm out of Covid lockdown so that I can get there).  I'm OK with the metal section.

• 2 weeks later...

This pen looks like it would really like to have a 14K nib. 

Unfortunately Lamy doesn’t make this specific one in gold.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang