The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Flex Nibs Shootout: Montblanc 149, Pilot Custom 743 Fa, Vintage Waterman's 3

flexible nib flex nib

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2020 - 19:30

Many thanks for the video, very well done. There are just so many vintage pens that have flexible and soft nibs, with lots of characters and personalities. For the nib performance, I’d go for the vintage Waterman, and for looks, the MB Calligraphy. I have been tempted to buy the MB Calligraphy, but every time I talked myself out of it because I can just use my humble little vintage MB 244G, MB242, MB 232, or some vintage Italian pens with soft flexible nibs, not necessarily to flex the nibs, but they are all a joy to write with.

Sponsored Content

#22 Gloucesterman

Gloucesterman

Transformation Coach

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2020 - 23:44

Great video comparison. Thank you (both) so much for what you have done and posted.

Some points to be made:

MB 149 Calligraphy pen is about $1,000.00 - $1800.00

Yes, it's modern so it is repairable note:possible charge for services of some type and after a certain time frame may apply

As a (currently, to my knowledge) limited production pen, I would expect it to retain all, at least, most of its monetary value - it could appreciate too??

Large ink capacity

Oh, and did I say it cost $1,000.00+?

The Pilot 743 FA (size 15 nib) + the special ebonite feed

Currently $260.00 - $300.00 on Amazon and from other sources

Special ebonite feed - $25 - 40.00 for black or red

Optional nib tweaking $75.00 - $100.00

Modern , full service available from dealer/manufacturer/nibmeister

Potential resale value w/ special feed - $150.00 - $250.00

Waterman 3V vintage pen in good to very good condition, with a flexible nib, restored

$100.00 - $300.00

Probable resale value (in the same condition): $100.00 - $300.00

Of course one's writing experience is subjective and that can not be monetized

Having looked at the MB 149 Calligraphy and seriously considered spending my money, at the moment I don't see it as an expenditure/investment I want to make - jmho.

They are all nice pens which offer a very nice writing experience with the caveat stated by "Lloyd" on any vintage flex pen.

One final note is that the Waterman 3V was my first flexible nib pen and I loved it. Currently my flexible nib pen of choice is the Waterman 7 with the red nib - (which will probably get posted to FPN Classifieds in the next month or so if anyone is interested.

Again, thanks for the great comparison video (and BTW, beautiful nails).

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

#23 pensmarht

pensmarht

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 September 2020 - 22:38

Very informative. I have both a Pilot 743 FA and a Pilot 912 FA and the earlier point about there being variations is spot on. My #10 FA was actually softer than the #15 FA, which had been modded by a nibmeister. I'm glad to see the 149 holding up to vintage (even if it falls short). I would have liked to see how the Scribo Feel performed as well. Maybe a future video?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flexible nib, flex nib

Sponsored Content

|