Does Anyone Use Red Ink Anymore?

Solitaire146

Mercy TS, how easily you dismiss any criticism of the academy.

I didn't dismiss "any" criticism, as in *all* criticisms. What are you talking about?

I discussed the Anti-intellectual bent of American society, in general terms. That is very different from your summary quoted above.

Here's another example: I wonder, on some kind of "fame metrics," how many *intellectuals* would rank in the top 500 famous people of America. Albert Einstein, I suppose, would make it, but he was born in Germany (and also fitting the stereotype of the European Jewish intellectual). If they don't build rockets, cool cars, computers, or mega-corporations, we tend to hear not much of very-highly-intelligent achievers (like "hidden figures").

We began as a frontier provincial land, and, well....

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TSherbs

• IThinkIHaveAProblem

• Karmachanic

• MBDostoevsky

TS-

Our conversation has taken us far from the topic of red ink, and so I will respond no further here. If you'd like to discuss further you know how to find me.

Stay well.

Yes, I still use red ink. I have two : Oxblood, and Red Valentine.

I use it when I'm correcting documents for my own use. If I have to give the document with corrections to someone, I'll let him know that the red is not to offend him but to clearly point the corrections to do. And well, as they know I'm into FP and inks... they crack a joke and... it's done.

My favorite reds are Iroshizuku Momiji from a wet nib (the saturation is important in making that deep autumn red) and Edelstein Garnet (love the shading). I have some Diamine Red Dragon that looks great as an ink swab, but I haven't used it in a pen yet.

Yes I still use Red ink, it started as a fascination in childhood I think.

These days I write important notes etc in the desk diary, and yes, I use Quink with Solv-X, as always.

Currently I have four different reds in pens, all of them dark reds. Ancient Copper which I consider more orange, Pomegranate which reminds me of the shell of said fruit, Merlot a purplish red, and Red Cashmere. For a true red it is Diamine Classic Red.

I taught accounting at the college level for three or four years and often did use a red similar to Classic Red (I believe it was a Pilot G2). Never had a student complain about the use of red. If I were back in academia I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the above. Maybe Pomegranate, but only because it is discontinued and very difficult to find. This bottle took 2 plus years to find.

I do have a few others, but it is samples in terms of amount.

Brad

"Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

This thread caused me to dig out the bottle of Diamine Classic Red the other day, and a fill of the ink is now gracing my 1980s era blue Pelikano (and, in honor of July 4th, I put vintage Skrip Permanent Royal Blue in the Burgundy Snorkel... B)).

I had forgotten just how nice Classic Red is -- like Runnin_Ute said, a "true" red.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, I have bottles of Montblanc's Red Velvet ink and going by the looks of things I might pick up the LPP Rose burgundy for the old rose colour.

"Storyteller, unfold thy words untold!"

• 3 weeks later...

Resisting the urge to "stir the pot" on this thread regarding some of the "opinions" not entirely related to using ink itself... Hoo golly >.>

To actually answer the question, no I don't use red ink. Most of my writing is done on a page-at-a-time basis, and reds just don't look good in such great quantity. Purples and muted pinks are as far as I'll go.

Red is the third most popular colour of ink. Green in second place. Blue in first.

So yes; many people use red ink.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I am still searching for my personal optimal red, but that doesn't stop me from using any of a number of other red inks:

• Rohrer & Klingner Fernambuk
  • Pelikan Edelstein Ruby
  • Noodler's Red
  • Diamine Oxblood
  • Diamine Ancient Copper (seems to count as red in this thread, though I see it as a lot closer to brown with a touch of a red tint).

I find the brighter reds are great for festive, personal, and highlighting applications, and, yes, for mark-ups and editorial comments, while the darker reds appeal to me as a change of pace from my standard browns.

Yes - I currently have a BLS medium inked with Sailor Irori that I use for notes. They are my notes so these are not official docs or letters or grading students.

It's pretty, it's bright, it sheens gold. why not :)

I use reds, oranges or browns to highlight text, edit notes or make poetry scansions.

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

Red is the third most popular colour of ink. Green in second place. Blue in first.

So yes; many people use red ink.

I think you misunderstood the graph. As I see it, it refers to the number of "main color" ink varieties being offered.

I do also think red may be the third most used color, but I doubt that the chart you pointed at reflects actual popularity of colors, instead I think it refers to how many color variants are offered as specific named inks.

Considering hues, our eye is more sensitive and may distinguish more shades of green than other colors, and yet it is not the one with more variety of inks. That points that popularity is to some extent reflected partly in the chart.

But black is undoubtedly more popular than green, red or brown. However, while our cognitive/perceptive system may accept many hues of the later, most of us have a very precise definition of black and would often consider even slight deviations a blemish (actually black may be almost anything very, very concentrated) or soon a "grey". That means that brands have less lee way to offer black variants than other colors.

Shortly, the chart tells us more things than just popularity.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

I think you misunderstood the graph. As I see it, it refers to the number of "main color" ink varieties being offered.

I do also think red may be the third most used color, but I doubt that the chart you pointed at reflects actual popularity of colors, instead I think it refers to how many color variants are offered as specific named inks.

Perhaps.

I function on the KISS paradigm. If red is 'the third most used colour" to me that indicates it is the the third most popular.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

I'm enjoying the KWZ Thief Red that I have and I've had my eye on getting a bottle of Sheaffer Red for some time now.

Perhaps.

I function on the KISS paradigm. If red is 'the third most used colour" to me that indicates it is the the third most popular.

Me too, but unless I am looking at a different chart, I see no reference pointing that the % quoted is usage instead of some other metric (number of inks in that color category). So, most likely I may have totally misinterpreted it.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Hi all,

YES. I still use Sheaffer Red and Kaweco Ruby in my Debit columns. Yes, I still keep hand-written financial ledgers for both my personal and business ledgers.

- Sean :)

https://www.catholicscomehome.org/

"Every one therefore that shall confess Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father Who is in Heaven." - MT. 10:32

"Any society that will give up liberty to gain security deserves neither and will lose both." - Ben Franklin

Thank you Our Lady of Prompt Succor & St. Jude.

I often use Montblanc Burgundy Red, and Corn Poppy Red. Getting low on the Corn Poppy so will have to replenish it soon with the Montblanc replacement for it which is Modena Red.