Kaweco Dia 2 And Bock 060 V 076 Nibs By The Numbers.

Ron Z

Posting this so as a separate thread so that it's easier to find rather than buried in the middle of a thread. Crummy picture of the nibs on the bench, but that's all I have time for. The reason for this post can be found here.

After a thread earlier this month about the Dia 2's pathetic little nib, and the suggestion of installing a Bock 076 #5 nib unit, I ordered one. Shipping was remarkably fast, and then it disappeared in the USPS system for a week after it cleared customs.

The differences in size by the numbers:

060 -
nib shoulder width = 0.261"
nib length collar to tip of nib = 0.625"

076-
nib shoulder width = 0.317"
nib length = 0.768

Dia 2 cap ID - 0.357", so about 20 thousandths clearance on either side of the nib, which is plenty.

What startled me is that if you measure the length of the inner cap using an inner cap gauge, there is no way that the nib will clear the end of inner cap - the nib is far too long.

But check again.

The section does not stop at the end of the inner cap. Rather, the threads stop the travel of the pen into the cap. So if you mark the barrel where the cap edge stops, and then set the gauge by measuring from the edge of the cap in vs edge of the inner cap to the inside end, and then hold the gauge up to your mark on the barrel and nib, the nib clears. Not by much, but it clears, and that's all that you need.

The 076 makes all the difference in the world in the appearance of the pen. The length of the nib, section edge to tip, is nearly identical to an Esterbrook nib. Well worth the money. It's much more comfortable to use, and the nib matches the size of the pen.

060V076.jpg

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• Ron Z

• txomsy

• gerigo

Thanks Ron. Thanks Bock!

One could think that Bock made this nib just for the benefit of Dia 2 owners. :) :bunny01:

Add lightness and simplicate.

Thanks Ron. Your picture makes the differences between the two nibs quite clear.

And thanks too for taking the time to confirm that the large nib fits safely inside the cap. I've seen a few shots of nib-swapped Dia2s on instagram, and I couldn't help wondering if the larger nib wasn't repeatedly striking the inside of the cap (unknown to the owner). Your confirmation takes me one step closer to buying one of these.

D

Anybody knows if the 076 may fit an AL Sport/Brass Sport/Lilliput?

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

Anybody knows if the 076 may fit an AL Sport/Brass Sport/Lilliput?

I asked the internet. It said no. Unless one removes the cap liner.

OK, thanks. I guess it was too good to be true,

Edited by txomsy

Can I just clarify, the front section you're showing is the unit you purchased and it is intended for the Kaweco Elite right? Because when you said Bock 076, you aren't just taking a standard Bock no 6 nib and fitting it into the grip section of the Kaweco Dia2?

Can I just clarify, the front section you're showing is the unit you purchased and it is intended for the Kaweco Elite right? Because when you said Bock 076, you aren't just taking a standard Bock no 6 nib and fitting it into the grip section of the Kaweco Dia2?

"Standard" Bock #5 is the 180. Then there's the shorter 060, and the short wide 076. All with the same housing

The unit Show above on the left is the 060, with the 076 on the right.

This may help:

https://www.beaufortink.co.uk/undertanding-fountain-pen-nibs-choosing-the-right-one

I asked the internet. It said no. Unless one removes the cap liner.

....and once again, the internet is wrong. I pulled the nib unit on my brass Sport (the pants pocket, in-case-I-forget-my-pen pen) and tested the fit. Again, measuring from the cap lip as described above, it cleared, so I put the cap on. It works, and I don't feel any contact as I screw the cap on (lots of practice). I learned my lesson about checking nib clearance decades ago when I bent a newly repaired nib.

I know that there are variations from pen to pen even in the same model. If you want to test it yourself to verify that it clears before you put the cap on with the new nib in, screw the cap onto the pen with no nib or the old nib installed. Mark the cap edge with a piece of tape. Use a chopstick or thin rod, and put it all of the way down in the cap, and put your thumb nail against the rod right at the edge of the cap lip. Make sure that you are at the end, in the middle, where the tip of the nib will go. Then hold the end of the chopstick against the tape and see if the nib hits your thumb nail. If it clears, you're good, even if it's only a few thousandths.

That's good news. That's bad news because now I'm going to want to get a new nib for the Sport.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

That's bad news because now I'm going to want to get a new nib for the Sport.

Good news :)

Aha... I was mistaken. I thought the 076 was the 250. Not good at remembering numbers. Yes I actually do know that the 076 can fit pens that take the 060. Experimented with the Karaskustoms smaller pen.

thank you for collecting the info and clarifying for all.

I think the Dia 2 deserves this upgrade very much, for the reasons mentioned and I do wonder why Kaweco did not fit it with a 076 in the first place... the 060 is ok on the Liliput and the Sport but is clearly too small for the Dia 2.

The proportions with the pen are now much better and I agree also ease of use improves. The extra expense is absolutely bearable.

before

fpn_1593114474__p1080916-4_kaweco_dia_2.

after

fpn_1591382139__img_4223-3_kaweco_dia_ii

fpn_1591382139__img_4223-3_kaweco_dia_ii

Please stop posting this photo :puddle:

Edited by Karmachanic

OK, so now I have some units to try... I don't know if I should be happy or sad. :-)

Many thanks! It's great to know this is possible.

Checking around Beaumont Ink appears to have the best availability/affordability - $32 for two nibs delivered to the states isn't bad.

Question -- How does the writing feel compared to the to the 060? Are line widths similar to the 060?

Another question (sorta related if you'll allow)...

In my price checking for the 076, I saw Goulet Pens is carrying a #2 nib unit for Kaweco. I thought the 060/076/180 were #5 nibs. Are these a Jowo equivalent of some sort? Anyone have any experience with them?

Question -- How does the writing feel compared to the to the 060? Are line widths similar to the 060?

Both nibs are made by Bock, which is why you can simply swap out nib units. Maybe a better way to to put it is that the fact that you can swap out nib units indicates that they are made by Bock. Line width and grind are the same. The thing that makes the difference for me is that the nib is longer, so my hand is back a bit farther from the paper. It may not be much, but it's enough of a difference that I find it to be more comfortable.

spacer.png
Visit Main Street Pens