The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Kohinoor Pen Cleaner Stain

2 replies to this topic

#1 challer61

challer61

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 12:13

Spilled some on cherry finish. Now I have a very real stain I cannot seem to remove. This is likely more chemical than stain. Anyone with experience on how to correct this? The wood is cherry. It's a very nice piece of furniture so I really need to fix this.

Sponsored Content

#2 BaronWulfraed

BaronWulfraed

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 13:30

My condolences -- I suspect you are looking at a "strip and re-stain" operation. The solvents in the cleaner likely have dissolved the original finish which was then transferred to whatever substance you used to pick up the spill.

#3 corgicoupe

corgicoupe

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,768 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2020 - 02:06

Can you post a picture?  How old is the cherry piece? That may give an idea of the finish. Looking at some older posts and the MDS data, it seems to be potassium hydroxide in water, maybe a bit like ammonia.  If you've got a dark stain in addition to the finish being removed, you will probably have to do some very fine sanding with 400-600 grit wet or dry and then try to repair the finish with something easy to apply, like Danish oil. 

If you think it's beyond your skill level, search for a shop that does furniture repairs and has a qualified finish restorer.  Insurance companies hire these companies to fix furniture that gets damaged by moving companies.

Baptiste knew how to make a short job long

For love of it. And yet not waste time either.

Robert Frost

Reply to this topic

Sponsored Content

|