Rohrer & Klingner Dokumentus Dunkleblau

silverlifter

This 50ml bottle of Rohrer and Klingner's archival ink was not inexpensive, but performed well beyond my expectations. It writes wet, yet dries quickly. Is absolutely unfazed by water, and works on the cheapest papers. The only downside I have noticed is that while doing the crossword (yes, it works on newsprint!), it did hard start a little if I was too slow on a clue. It can hardly be faulted for that, though...

Front:

fpn_1592877401__dunkleblau-front.jpg

Back:

fpn_1592877419__dunkleblau-back.jpg

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amberleadavis

• LizEF

• silverlifter

• Antenociticus

.... The only downside I have noticed is that while doing the crossword (yes, it works on newsprint!), it did hard start a little if I was too slow on a clue. It can hardly be faulted for that, though...

This is how the two SketchINKs I tested behaved - Frieda and Emma.

This blue is too ordinary for me, but great review! :)

I have the sketchinks and their performance on any paper is above and beyond. Glad to hear that the dokumentus ones follow their footsteps, R&K is a great manufacturer. Thanks for your review.

Thanks for this contribution. I have all of their dokumentus inks and am not that hot about the colours themselves but as you say, their "writeability" -- above all wetness and nil bleed-through -- is excellent, especially for such permanent inks.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for showing this ink. I’ve never tried R&K inks before, but from what you show here, and what LizEF mentioned about the SketchINKs, these would be great for my EDC pens and use at work (where I use my excellent Endless Recorder notebook, but unfortunately also cheap copier paper).

I’m not particularly fond of this colour, but I liked the teal-leaning Frieda SketchINK that LizEF showed in her video review. Might have to give these inks a try...

Thank you for showing this ink. I’ve never tried R&K inks before, but from what you show here, and what LizEF mentioned about the SketchINKs, these would be great for my EDC pens and use at work (where I use my excellent Endless Recorder notebook, but unfortunately also cheap copier paper).

I’m not particularly fond of this colour, but I liked the teal-leaning Frieda SketchINK that LizEF showed in her video review. Might have to give these inks a try...

:thumbup: They're definitely worth a try. And I'd say put them in a non-demonstrator if you get obsessed with removing "ink lines". ;)

Grrr! A new ink to try... well, to be true I've intended to give the Dokumentus line a try for some time now, but I still have too much ink to finish first.

If you are to be ephemeral, leave a good scent.

You might add the Super5 inks into the foray:) They are more expensive but are also made by R&K....

At the same time, get a Super5 pen. Very well built -- especially the convertor -- and not expensive....

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thanks for the review. I'm not a fan of the color fo Dunkelblau, because the color is a little chalky looking. But I like its sister ink Hellblau quite a bit.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 2 months later...

THank you.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 10 months later...

Almost three years ago, as a light-fastness test, I included the two Dokumenus blues on a sheet of Tomoe River 52 gsm that I have left on a sunny window ledge ever since. Of the maybe two dozen blue and blue-black inks on there – including KWZ and R&K iron galls, various bulletproof Noodler's, Sailor nanopigments – the Dokumentus ones have retained their hue and brightness better than nearly of them.

Koh-i-Noor Document Blue is similarly light-fast, a colour half way between the two Dokumentus blues, and considerably cheaper.

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

4 minutes ago, Antenociticus said:

the Dokumentus ones have retained their hue and brightness better than nearly of them.

That is impressive! Thanks!

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:32 PM, Antenociticus said:

Almost three years ago, as a light-fastness test, I included the two Dokumenus blues on a sheet of Tomoe River 52 gsm that I have left on a sunny window ledge ever since. Of the maybe two dozen blue and blue-black inks on there – including KWZ and R&K iron galls, various bulletproof Noodler's, Sailor nanopigments – the Dokumentus ones have retained their hue and brightness better than nearly of them.

Koh-i-Noor Document Blue is similarly light-fast, a colour half way between the two Dokumentus blues, and considerably cheaper.

We'd love to see the images from the fade test!  Is it posted here?

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

9 hours ago, amberleadavis said:

We'd love to see the images from the fade test!  Is it posted here?

No, it isn't. The pages are still on the window ledge. But I'll think about scanning and/or taking a photo of them when I catch myself with some free time. Do you think I should post them here or start a thread with it somewhere?

Lined paper makes a prison of the page.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 6:01 PM, Antenociticus said:

No, it isn't. The pages are still on the window ledge. But I'll think about scanning and/or taking a photo of them when I catch myself with some free time. Do you think I should post them here or start a thread with it somewhere?

Start a new thread in the comparison forum.  If you send me the link, I'll be sure to add it to the Start Here thread.