Efnir: Rohrer & Klingner Sketchink Frieda

LizEF

Extra Fine Nib Ink Review: Rohrer & Klingner SketchINK Frieda

This is review #21 in my series. Here's the YouTube video:

And here is a screen of the final result, for those not interested in the video:
large.RohrerKlingnerSketchINKFrieda.jpg.20cfe5c643996ea4d9600d92de812ed9.jpg

Scan of Completed Review:
large.RohrerKlingnerSketchINKFriedaS.jpg.9201e61cb82de875eab037af23e2ba16.jpg

Zoomed in photo:

large.RohrerKlingnerSketchINKFriedaZ.jpg.7e80824b53453632a721b40da1a75bc9.jpg

Absorbent Paper Closeup (puzzle paper like thick newsprint):
large.RohrerKlingnerSketchINKFriedaAP.jpg.98557a4ef08cac69d74e9cc9e7d9083b.jpg

Screenshots also available on Instagram: @zilxodarap

Previous Review: Sailor Nioi Sumire.

Want to influence the inky sequence? Take the "next ink" poll.

Hope you enjoy. Comments appreciated!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• LizEF

• yazeh

• Eclipse157

• Intensity

Don't worry, I'll still post another tomorrow (my usual Tuesday post), this is an extra this week. :)

Forgot to add:

NOTE: This ink was a bit difficult to clean from the pen. It required some soaking and time in the ultrasonic cleaner.

I was not aware that R&K had a line of pigment inks. Thanks for this!

Is there a TOD thread for pigmented or permanent inks?

p.s. I read your comment but my internal clock is out of whack anyhow. It feels like Tuesday now. :unsure:

I was not aware that R&K had a line of pigment inks. Thanks for this!

Is there a TOD thread for pigmented or permanent inks?

p.s. I read your comment but my internal clock is out of whack anyhow. It feels like Tuesday now. :unsure:

You're welcome. Emma, another R&K SketchINK is coming up two reviews from now - so, next week.

Dunno about the TOD. Ah, but here's a list of TODs and a ways down, there do appear to be some related to permanence... https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/282789-start-here-inky-t-o-d-topics-oday/

I think with all this COVID business, all our clocks are a bit out of whack! :)

Great, review Liz. The close up is really lovely.....

I have a sample of this one in the mail. Looking forward to trying it...

I have a couple of SKetchinks, and I've noticed that if ignored for several days, they might sulk and refuse to write, right away : ;)

I haven't cleaned up the out, yet so I don't know if they'll be problematic......

But I really like this line......

Edited by yazeh

Great, review Liz. The close up is really lovely.....

I have a sample of this one in the mail. Looking forward to trying it...

I have a couple of SKetchinks, and I've noticed that if ignored for several days, they might sulk and refuse to write, right away : ;)

I haven't cleaned up the out, yet so I don't know if they'll be problematic......

But I really like this line......

They dry very quickly on the nib, and I expect that's by design - for sketching and probably to allow watercolor washes over them. I suspect this is why I occasionally had a hard start, but it wasn't consistent or predictable - like "after n hours unused" or anything like that. It was completely random. :unsure:

Anywho, for permanence or artsy stuff, they're great - see the Emma review next week. ;)

I've been curious about the Sketchink series inks, but I suspect I would not use any of them in any nib smaller than a fine. And this one is not a color I care for. Thanks for the review, though. Inks that don't do well in EF nibs are as good to know about as inks that do.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

They dry very quickly on the nib, and I expect that's by design - for sketching and probably to allow watercolor washes over them. I suspect this is why I occasionally had a hard start, but it wasn't consistent or predictable - like "after n hours unused" or anything like that. It was completely random. :unsure:

Anywho, for permanence or artsy stuff, they're great - see the Emma review next week. ;)

Looking forward for Emma......I've been voting for the R&K religiously :)

I've been curious about the Sketchink series inks, but I suspect I would not use any of them in any nib smaller than a fine. And this one is not a color I care for. Thanks for the review, though. Inks that don't do well in EF nibs are as good to know about as inks that do.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I wouldn't say they don't do well in EF nibs, and I suspect the odd hard start problem I had would happen with any nib, though I could be wrong. At first I thought the color was one I'd really like, but it is a bit too green and too pale. Maybe in a really wet nib. Anywho, talking someone out of an ink is as much a service as talking them into one, I'd say. :)

Looking forward for Emma......I've been voting for the R&K religiously :)

I used Emma to do a doodle on an ATC (artist trading card). There's a blue-black fan out there that's been out-voting you, though I see the remaining R&K inks are pretty high. When we get to Blau-Schwarz (unobtainium), it's going to be like torture - this is one of the best blue-blacks I know, but it was a limited edition and gone before I knew it existed. My sample was a gift from a generous FPNer. (I suspect it will be too dark, though. Solferino, on the other hand, will be fabulous!)

Great review!

Nice to see as I prefer permanent inks and finer nibs.

Thank you! I just finished recording the Sailor Seiboku review Saturday night, so that should be out in a couple of weeks. Not a lot of permanent inks left in my list - Montblanc and some De Atramentis Document inks, I think. I kinda quit looking when I found Seiboku. :wub:

I was very interested in this ink for its color and water resistance and almost ordered it a couple of months ago, along with two other SketchInks. Now that I see the warning about this ink being difficult to flush out and even requiring an ultrasonic cleaner, I'm going to hold off. That's because most of my pens at this point are either piston fillers, or have "fancy" converters in demonstrators (like Sailor colored handle converters), or are vintage and difficult to flush (like Parker 51s). Don't want to be using an ultrasonic cleaner and relubricating everything after the fact.

Edited by Intensity

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

I was very interested in this ink for its color and water resistance and almost ordered it a couple of months ago, along with two other SketchInks. Now that I see the warning about this ink being difficult to flush out and even requiring an ultrasonic cleaner, I'm going to hold off. That's because most of my pens at this point are either piston fillers, or have "fancy" converters in demonstrators (like Sailor colored handle converters), or are vintage and difficult to flush (like Parker 51s). Don't want to be using an ultrasonic cleaner and relubricating everything after the fact.

Yeah, I'd say this ink is for pens that are easy to clean. In this case, the pen is easily disassembled, and it was the clear section and the feed that needed help - the converter itself was fine (I think - maybe I stuck a cotton swab in there - you can do that with Pilot converters).

NOTE: If the section weren't clear, I might never have known there was anything left behind - that is, the remnant may not have had any negative effect, and may have been flushed out by the next ink.

Thank you for the nice review, as usual :). I have this ink and I love it. Yes the bottle needs a lot of shaking and yes, it needs a bit more effort to clean (although it never felt it needed an ultrasonic cleaner), but it is totally worth it.

From the Rohrer and Klingner website:

"Note that waterproof inks can cause clotting in fountain pens. To address this and for the daily care of your drawing equipment, we recommend our fountain pen cleaner “reiniger”."

For this reason I have just stayed away from these inks.

That and also I already have more ink than I can use the years that are left to me.

https://www.rohrer-klingner.de/?page_id=1063&lang=en

Edited by Mannyonpil

Wow! Really doesn't budge with water. Love that.

Thanks again for another tappety tap tap review. :)

Thank you for the nice review, as usual :). I have this ink and I love it. Yes the bottle needs a lot of shaking and yes, it needs a bit more effort to clean (although it never felt it needed an ultrasonic cleaner), but it is totally worth it.

You're very welcome. I agree that the waterproofness is worth the extra cleaning effort. All the waterproof inks I've tried require some extra effort. And the ultrasonic cleaner was only because my pen is all-clear, so I can see every little stain. In a normal pen, I would have believed it clean and never known the difference. :)

From the Rohrer and Klingner website:

"Note that waterproof inks can cause clotting in fountain pens. To address this and for the daily care of your drawing equipment, we recommend our fountain pen cleaner “reiniger”."

For this reason I have just stayed away from these inks.

That and also I already have more ink than I can use the years that are left to me.

https://www.rohrer-klingner.de/?page_id=1063&lang=en

Interesting! I wonder what's in their cleaner. And yes, once you have a certain amount of ink, it takes a lot to convince you to buy yet another ink - like, say, one of @Lgsoltek's reviews! :lticaptd:

Wow! Really doesn't budge with water. Love that.

Thanks again for another tappety tap tap review. :)

Yes, these and the Sailor nano-pigment inks are quickly immovable!

You're welcome! Lots of tappety tap tap still to come. :D

Has anyone compared Sketchink Frieda with Dokumentus Dunkelblau?

I'm afraid I don't have both. From the Dunkelblau review that just posted, behavior is very similar, just the colors are quite different.